Turbo Saleen S281

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
screw open downpipes. That gets old fast. Only sounds good if you are constantly in the high rpms. Daily driving sounds like booty.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Oh and another thought, I'm assuming you have cats pre turbo. If your cat does decide to clog not only are you going to probably take your motor, but you'd take out your turbo as well. Big problem with the old 2.0 WRX having cat pre turbo.

One more thing, if you ever decide to do a WOT box for the track and flat foot shifting cats are def a no no. The 2-step is very bad news for the cat.
Post turbo, ill try to post pics of the Granatelli kit, I don't think I'll be getting a wot box, Im not looking to spend much time at the track, just a fun streeet car, thanks!

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Good or bad kind of nasty? Lol, Benjy, isn't your shop car a gms turbo mustang? And trust me, I've thought about the whole "just get a 5.0" deal, and I'm still thinking about it.

I really like the way the Saleen looks, handles, and exclusivity, but I know if I want more HP, I'll have to get a forged block, tr6060(not going auto, no matter how much faster it is), more fuel, then eventually Saleen Extreme 15" brakes, cf front/back diffuser, coilovers, Saleen OEM hids,vented hood, Saleen Darkhorse wheels, new paintjob....etc,etc,etc... Alot to think about, bcs even if I get a 5.0, I wont leave it stock either...
The pursuit of happiness/boost...lol

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Post turbo, ill try to post pics of the Granatelli kit, I don't think I'll be getting a wot box, Im not looking to spend much time at the track, just a fun streeet car, thanks!

screw open downpipes. That gets old fast. Only sounds good if you are constantly in the high rpms. Daily driving sounds like booty.

Wait a minute, by open downpipe you mean open after turbo exhaust right? My wastegate will dump to atmosphere, the turbo will exit through the exhaust, but the cats will be changed to o/r pipes, thats what I was asking if itll sound like ass w/o the cats.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Not exactly the same as open downpipe, but I'm glad that I have a qtp. I don't think the cutout sounds like poop. I love it. I am glad I can close it though.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Turbo install update, I started taking the car apart about a month ago and install whatever i could. Long story short, I had to get a stock GT water pump pulley bcs the much larger Saleen wp pulley would not work. Had to find the right size belt, and hunt down fittings, missing pieces, etc. I'm finally making progress, I'm done modifying the coolant and the power steering systems.
Things I have left to do/install:
1- FMIC
2- Hot pipes/Turbo/ Tial wg w/6# spring
3- Oil return Tee to the oil pan (no tapping, goes to the oil level sender)
4- CMDP/39# injectors
5- S & H 405 lph Walbro fuel pump/wire upgrade kit
6- Brisk Racing 1 step colder plugs
7- Cold side/HKS BOV piping
8- Prosport Halo- Boost/wideband/fuel psi gauges/SOS Triple gauge pod
9- Hallman boost controller
10- PCV System- Breather on drivers side/routed to intake filter before the turbo on pass side.

I'm planning on getting new piping made to replace the cats rather than gutting them. I was also advised to use copper rtv on all hot piping connections. Most of the piping is already wrapped and coated with what looks like is that hi temp black silicone spray. The turbo down pipe isn't wrapped so i bought some titanium wrap and spray.

There's just several other things i need to get, the fuel rail adapter to get a reading on my gauge, the datalog cable from tricktuners that Lito advised, and if course the tune itself from Lito. I'm working alot lately so i don't have much time to work on it, its probably going to be two weeks before i can finish, thought if share with you guys, any advise is appreciated, thanks!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This is not return you have oil pressure at the sender and thats where you t in for oil feed to the turbo.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score

This is not return you have oil pressure at the sender and thats where you t in for oil feed to the turbo.

Yep, the sender feeds the turbo, then returns it to the oil pan via oil level sensor on the pass side of the oil pan, according to the instructions.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How would you return oil from the turbo to an electrical level sensor in the oil pan?

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
It uses a tee where it ties in the sensor and a barb fitting for the return. Ill see if i can post a pic.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes a T is used for feed from the pressure sensor.

However the pan thing doesnt make sense, to you even have the level sensor in the pan, so are you removing it and putting a barb in its place?

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I've always wondered why other kits don't do this instead of tapping the oilpan, it apparently works.

Bobby

turbo gt about to go fast
Reaction score
just out side of charlotte north carolina
it matters where the turbo sits that is on the passenger side. you want it to go down hill all the way with no flat spots in it or up hill places either or else you will back up the oil into the turbo and cause all sorts of problems.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered why other kits don't do this instead of tapping the oilpan, it apparently works.

Because starting in early 06 there in no level sensor in the oil pan anymore.

That fititng is too small as well as the L bend is not good imho, you want 3/8 to 1/2" for your drain. And as straight a path you can get from the turbo to the pan with no kinks or bends.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Halfway though 06 they got rid of it. Also the spot in the pan is too low since it will be pushing against oil in the sump. Bad ideal all the way around.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I just checked my car to make sure it had it, and it does have the sensor, looks about the same height of where other people are tapping theirs, if the feed is pressurized, then the drain shouldn't back up unless there's a clog or something right?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back