Turbo talk (on3) Info

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Car is a 2006 mustang GT. Not looking for crazy power. Just 6-10psi on either set up about 450-480ish HP

So for awhile I've been dead set on going the paxton novi 1200 route but never really gave thought to turbo. I know nothing about turbos and how to size them and so on. Car is my daily and I'm full bolt on including detroit rockers and long tubes. I would just like to learn about this and take it in to better suit what I want in the future. I of course daily the car and drive spirited a good bit, like to take turns and if I can I like to drag which is maybe once every 2 months. But I mainly have fun around town and back roads.

I'm getting the S&H walbro 405lph pump and wire kit and 47lb injectors so I wouldn't need fuel parts.

If I did go this route I would get the 67mm ceramic ball bearing turbo. I would want a quicker spool and the better bearings unless the 70mm journal bearing turbo is good spool and reliable. I wouldn't need to balls to the wall on adding or upgrading what they have. I would need headers though.

School me just want to learn and talk turbos pros and cons also against centri blowers and say the 67mm on3 and 70mm vs the novi 1200.

Thanks

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I will give me opinion. I have had a Saleen SC on my car, a Procharger, and now a turbo. When I still drove the car on the street the Saleen SC (or any twin screw SC) IMO is the best bang for the buck, instant torque, smooth horse power curve, the procharge while it sounds mean as all hell and looked great sucked on the street and at the track. On that my car is track only, I wouldn't run anything but the turbo, but for the street IMO it is not a great fit, when compared to a twin screw. IMO you should rethink what you are looking at, but if you are dead-set against a twin screw, I would go turbo.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Your cams are better suited towards a blower as well. Not that they are ideal for them since I’m assuming they are an NA grind. If you decide to go turbo id at least put the stock cams back. Those cams will hurt performance/spool. Plus your long tubes will have to go as well. I’m a big turbo guy btw but at least if you go the super charger route you can leave what you have already done intact. Just food for thought. The department of boost setup is a very good bang for your buck. Plus has huge growth potential.

I had a pro charger on my car for a month before switching to turbo. The power band just isn’t as usable on the streets in my opinion. I didn’t care for it.

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
If you intend to keep your cams, overhead blower is going to fit you best. While the cams may not help it make the most efficient power, it won't hinder the powerband as much as it would with a centri or turbo. Majority of cams shift power to the right, the rockers fall in that category. Boost raises the entire powerband. The sooner you bring in gobs of boost, the better off you'll be with a cam that has already shifted you into a higher powerband.

If your heart is set on a centri or turbo, the centri will still work with your cams, but centri's make linear power, so your best performance will always be at the centri's max efficiency rpm. Unlike a turbo, you won't have lag, but you will need rpm to jump into boost. Centri is also the safer option for making power with boost.

A turbo won't like your cams at all. Not to say you can't do it, but consistancy will be lost and you'll really need to custom size the turbo to make up for the cams. It will create a very application specific turbo sizing, and window of performance. Turbo's are the end-all be-all in making power with boost, IMO. But doing it right can be difficult, and doing it wrong can be costly/disappointing.

If you want to keep that radical idle and boost the car with smiles and turned heads, you're going to want a PD blower. The instant power begs for the street and it couldn't care less what you give it to huff through, so long as you let it whine. A TVS is the way to go. Affordable (as compared to an entry turbo/centri kit), efficient, and suited for your power goals without making a ton of heat like a m90. Not as stock internal friendly as a centri, but the cams may help soften the hit in low-end torque surge.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back