Underdrive Pulleys - Cost VS Quality

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so rather than start a new thread, two more questions! I got a nice used Steeda set from another member, pulleys only, and install won’t be probably for a few weeks but I need a couple answers:

1) What other parts do I need for the install? A couple of the bolts get replaced right?

2) Gear puller for the crank, anything specific or just a short enough one to fit in the space available?

Thanks guys!

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You will need a tube of black RTV silicone to seal the crank key to the balancer.
A new crank bolt will be required as the stock one is TTY, get the ARP one.
There is a stud that either needs to be trimmed or replaced with a bolt-I can't quite remember as that was over a decade ago that I first installed them.

Also, you will need a harmonic balancer install tool-or a longer bolt to draw the balancer onto the crankshaft.

And a 3 jaw puller is best for removing the stock balancer.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
You will need a tube of black RTV silicone to seal the crank key to the balancer.
A new crank bolt will be required as the stock one is TTY, get the ARP one.
There is a stud that either needs to be trimmed or replaced with a bolt-I can't quite remember as that was over a decade ago that I first installed them.

Also, you will need a harmonic balancer install tool-or a longer bolt to draw the balancer onto the crankshaft.

And a 3 jaw puller is best for removing the stock balancer.

Awesome, exactly what I needed. That’s why I love this forum. The RTV, why does the key need to be sealed to the pulley? Dust prevention?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The hub of the balancer penetrates and seals to the front cover but there is a small leak path between the key on the crankshaft and the balancer. Putting a dab on the key slot on the balancer prevents oil from escaping between the key and the balancer.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back