Used Cams, Scratches?

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, bought some used cams and looking for some input. Seller's been great with working with me. However I've noticed some scratches on three of the lobes that look like they were set down on the ground or something.

The seller says he didn't have any problems running them but I'm unsure about them. The scratches catch the finger nail a bit, but they are very shallow. Should I try polishing them a bit to take the "edge" off them? I'd like to run them, but don't want to risk my motor. What do you guys think?

Thanks. They're Hot Rods btw.

2uig428.jpg

29dwu4z.jpg

dfdmpk.jpg

Last edited:

KevDon92

forum member
Reaction score
Being that they're on the lobe, I'd definitely have them polished out professionally if it were me. Also, make sure you clean the hell out of them before installing.

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to go to the local speed shop I used to deliver parts to and ask for a recommendation on a machine shop. There has to be something local to me.

The seller offered me a 10 day return, but if I can just have the cams polished and be good as new I'll go that route.

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
A good light polishing shouldn't bring the cam out of spec, correct? I just want to make sure I'm not opening a whole new can of worms with email tunes tuning for what they're "supposed" to be.

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
A good light polishing shouldn't bring the cam out of spec, correct? I just want to make sure I'm not opening a whole new can of worms with email tunes tuning for what they're "supposed" to be.

No, and even then a few thousandths wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back