V6 Dual Exhaust

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
Alrights guys so I recently got GT bumpers so the next step is going to be dual exhaust. I want to do a full exhaust, headers and all. Does anyone have any ideas or good experience with V6 catted dual exhaust. I don't want to be piecing together random pieces and hoping for a good sound. Thoughts, comments?

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
keep the y pipe and split off of the end of the Y back into dual. I have noticed that for some reason it helps with the sixxer sound. Others may have different thoughts on it but with my 08 wifes car and her 01 work car (3.8-4.0) I have noticed that this has been true. Mufflers well ask 5 people and you will get 5 different answers. Headers ??? don't know there I have no experience with headers on a v6.

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Shortie Headers ... Long Tubes are to much for a DD and even on long drives will be to much

Stock Cats ... Hi Flow or gutted Cats don't generally sound to good

I have an X-Pipe on my car as well as FR500S mufflers and they are pretty loud and have a really nice deep tone to them (for a sixxer at least)

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I had a H and X on before and I had alot of raspy sound. Do you notice any raspyness with your X?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
With the GTBs I had on there wasn't really any raspyness but with the FR500S mufflers they are raspy which I can live with.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
when i had my v6 I did not have a mid pipe just "straight" pipes i had magnaflow mufflers on it, sounded really good too.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I ran mac longtube's with high flow cats and straight pipes out to either GT mufflers or straight pipes. Using a X sounded like crap (like a loud bee!).
The stock exhaust manifolds are plenty good; shorties are only to pretty-it-up.

One of the best sounds, imo, is the stock v6 exhaust except with no muffler.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
on my wifes car....i cut her v6 pipes right after the cats, then cut my stock GT exhaust in the same spot. welded it on and replaced the stock mufflers with edlebrock mufflers. so its using the stock GT H pipe and stock GT exhaust with the edlebrocks.....i think it sounds good.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh and do not cut the cats off! It sounds like shit! Lol

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
I know someone selling an ENTIRE Stainless works exhaust for the V6. headers, x pipe, and dual catback. Only used on a race car for one season. If you are interested I can get more info. I think all that stuff retails for over $2,000.

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
Here is what my friend has for sale:

v6exhaust.jpg

It was on a race car for only 6 months with no street driving.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
I ran mac longtube's with high flow cats and straight pipes out to either GT mufflers or straight pipes. Using a X sounded like crap (like a loud bee!).
The stock exhaust manifolds are plenty good; shorties are only to pretty-it-up.

One of the best sounds, imo, is the stock v6 exhaust except with no muffler.

Agreed. I currently have an american thunder axleback on and when I went to take the stocker off, the previous owner had it tacked to the midpipe so I took it down to the muffler shop. I drove home without a muffler and it sounded great. The only thing that surprised me was how quiet it was when idling. The american thunder is alright IMO but it makes the car backfire for about 5 or 6 shifts when you first start driving the car cold. It's almost embarrassing leaving the neighborhood.

So what it sounds like I should do is a catback system. I have been told by others to do an X and not an H pipe followed by the dual system. A buddy of mine told me to use GT mufflers because they give a great sound to the V6 with dual exhaust. I may try that and go from there.

Here is what my friend has for sale:

sending you a pm

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed. I currently have an american thunder axleback on and when I went to take the stocker off, the previous owner had it tacked to the midpipe so I took it down to the muffler shop. I drove home without a muffler and it sounded great. The only thing that surprised me was how quiet it was when idling. The american thunder is alright IMO but it makes the car backfire for about 5 or 6 shifts when you first start driving the car cold. It's almost embarrassing leaving the neighborhood.

So what it sounds like I should do is a catback system. I have been told by others to do an X and not an H pipe followed by the dual system. A buddy of mine told me to use GT mufflers because they give a great sound to the V6 with dual exhaust. I may try that and go from there.

sending you a pm

Mine does the same thing ... Its annoying but I usually shift @ around 2k-2.5k for the first 10 or so times, or when I am at a light I slightly blip the throttle just a bit to warm up the mufflers

bumblebee06

Speed Demon
Reaction score
I have heard quite a few sixers and a couple with headers. imo it makes it worse. headers for the sixer doesnt add much and just gives it a real bad raspy sound. High flow cats are the same way. I would recommend a full cat back with an h-pipe. maybe slp or pypes axle back with stainless piping. i think you'll like it. here was my first set up with flowmaster 40 mufflers

then i took out the mufflers and added straight through pipe to stainless tips. much better sound. and louder.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
bumblebee the straight through pipes sound awesome. the H pipe definitely gives a better sound than I've been told. was that set-up all custom or a kit?

bumblebee06

Speed Demon
Reaction score
bumblebee the straight through pipes sound awesome. the H pipe definitely gives a better sound than I've been told. was that set-up all custom or a kit?

it was custom done by a shop but can be done easily. go to a good muffler shop and tell them you want dual exhaust with an h-pipe and no mufflers. then pick out some tips. it should be no more than 500-550 all welded. Or you can do it yourself with an H-pipe and an axle back of your choosing. to get it like mine i would get one of the bottom two.

H-Pipe i would assume this would work with the stock manifolds and cats but check to be sure.
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pr...-Off-Road-H-Pipe---For-Long-Tube-headers.html

SLPs
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SLP-M31014/05-10-Mustang-Gt-Gt500-Slp-Loudmouth-Axleback

Pypes
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...pes-Stainless-Steel-Axle-Back-Muffler-Deletes

Last edited:

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
is that 500-550 including the purchase of tips or just for the piping/labor? the slp's are sick btw...think i'm gonna go that route.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back