Valve cover mishaps

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if this would technically count as tech so I posted here...
With the new engine in I wanted to add a catch can. I was told that I would not want to use the typical pcv breathers so all of that was removed. I knew going in that the material of the covers was just a shit cast of whatever Ford had laying around at the time. I had two local reputable shops attempt to weld the holes closed after removing the vct all together. They also welded two -10an bungs I've had these shops weld things in the past for me and have come out perfect.

These looked like hell when I got them back but after how long it took this build to complete and with as many obstacles I encountered along the way, I wanted to get the thing running so I slapped them on last spring. They were fine for the majority of the season. Only put about 700 miles on it altogether and I noticed the weld on the driver's side vct hole was starting to leak.
I don't really want to use these covers anymore, and I have another unmolested set at home I'd like to try to use. I need the -10an bungs welded on, and the pcv/vct holes closed.

Short of buying the $700 Moroso covers that have the holes pre-closed, does anybody have any ideas of where I can send my clean set out to have the same thing done?
vcover1.jpg vcover2.jpg vcover3.jpg vcover4.jpg

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why can't you use the existing PCV ports?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If Ford wasn't concerned enough about the PVC picking up oil from the chain to add a baffle or locate the port to a different spot, why do you assume it'll pick up oil on your catch can system?

Have you tried it?

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
If Ford wasn't concerned enough about the PVC picking up oil from the chain to add a baffle or locate the port to a different spot, why do you assume it'll pick up oil on your catch can system?

Have you tried it?
Everything was removed including the tube that went under the baffling inside the cover when the pcv was pulled out. I would still need to figure a way to close the vct holes. I've seen freeze plugs used, but wouldn't they seep over time?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have freeze plugs epoxied and siliconed in place. It is holding up so far but I don't have a lot of miles on it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
At least on the passenger side, it is right above the chain and we assumed I would have more oil coming into the line than necessary.

You shouldn't have any oil coming out of the passenger side unless you have a turbo or centri. That's the inlet side for the crankcase ventilation.

I think the problem with welding these covers is the actual metallurgy of the material. Not sure what the actual composition is though.

Just go get a nice set of laser engraved Ford Racing Cam cam covers. They will have the baffling and valve in it. Mine used to but I ripped mine out also. At least the valve is gone, I bent the baffle back up so it kinda works. But I run also run breathers.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Those welds are full of gas bubbles. Find a shop that knows how to weld. Looks like they used a wire gun also.
I would have used a Tig.
For the AN10 fitting a Bulkhead fitting with “O” Ring or Rite-Stuff sealant may do the job.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any oil coming out of the passenger side unless you have a turbo or centri. That's the inlet side for the crankcase ventilation.

I think the problem with welding these covers is the actual metallurgy of the material. Not sure what the actual composition is though.

Just go get a nice set of laser engraved Ford Racing Cam cam covers. They will have the baffling and valve in it. Mine used to but I ripped mine out also. At least the valve is gone, I bent the baffle back up so it kinda works. But I run also run breathers.

It is a centri setup and will be going to turbo in the next couple of seasons. I also believe it is the material that the covers are made out of. So you're saying you are simply running breathers instead of a catch can? My catch-can is vented.

I picked up a set of pre-painted black covers today so I can start over. I'm going to use the freeze plugs where the vct goes and I'm wondering if I can get some sort of adaptor to -10an for use on the pcv ports so I don't have to weld another set of -10an bungs on.

Those welds are full of gas bubbles. Find a shop that knows how to weld. Looks like they used a wire gun also.
I would have used a Tig.
For the AN10 fitting a Bulkhead fitting with “O” Ring or Rite-Stuff sealant may do the job.

Believe it or not, these shops produce great quality work but both said they had zero luck attempting to weld anything on my covers. You're suggesting a bulkhead type fitting fabricated where the pcv port is?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
It is a centri setup and will be going to turbo in the next couple of seasons. I also believe it is the material that the covers are made out of. So you're saying you are simply running breathers instead of a catch can? My catch-can is vented.

I picked up a set of pre-painted black covers today so I can start over. I'm going to use the freeze plugs where the vct goes and I'm wondering if I can get some sort of adaptor to -10an for use on the pcv ports so I don't have to weld another set of -10an bungs on.

Believe it or not, these shops produce great quality work but both said they had zero luck attempting to weld anything on my covers. You're suggesting a bulkhead type fitting fabricated where the pcv port is?
If you are not familiar, among AN fittings a bulkhead fitting is similar to a tube union with the addition of more threaded on one end to allow for a nut to secure it through a wall. Another option is a AN to Boss adapter. It looks like a male adapter but the threads match the AN thread form and have no taper. A nut and “O”Ring is used to seal. I think the Boss Adapter would be the best option if welding is not possible.

Reaction score
FWIW, the cast aluminum material the valve covers are made of is nearly impossible to weld (I think the oil impregnated back side corrupts the weld as soon as it starts to get good penetration). I'm surprised they got is as good as they did.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I remember squidd having problems welding with these and I believe the magnesium content is the big issue.
I tried to sand mine smooth before painting but it seemed like dirt or sand was getting plucked out of them with the sander.
I gave up, used a zinc etching primer, then a surfacing primer before painting them. I decided at that time to abandon the thought of welding bungs onto the mystery metal and decided to use breathers.
The breathers were just too messy so I now use the oem quick connect fittings and run to a vented catch can. I would like to have a bigger fitting on the passenger side but it is just too much effort.

07 Boss

Reaction score

Yeah I have a whipple and just run 3 breathers. One on each cover and one on the oil cap. Sometimes I get an occasional drip but I'm usually pretty good at wiping them off every time I'm under there. If you run an open PVC system your oil will not last as long and suggest changing it at accelerated intervals.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back