VMP tune worth it?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
So, I'm supposed to be getting a nice chunk back from taxes this year (not "supercharger" nice but nice none the less). Considering picking up an SCT and 93 tune from VMP but wonder if it's worth it since my Bullitt is bone stock aside from the axle backs and R2C filter on the Ford CAI. I don't plan to throw a supercharger on this car until I've paid it off. The car doesn't spin those 275s like it did the 255s. Would I even notice a difference?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Yes, you will notice a difference. I'd pick up an E85 tune as well, I don't think he charges much more to throw in the E85 tune. On a stock car it will only gain about 10/10 rwhp/tq but you will never have to be concerned about detonation and heat won't bother E85 at all.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Absolutely. Ford leaves a lot of power on the table due to EPA, warranty issues and other factors mostly revolving around how much money it would cost them. I don't want to sound like a cheerleader but I've been dealing with Justin since 2011 and his tunes are spot on. He's not cheap but you get what you pay for. Driveability is like stock but with a lot more kick.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Your car already has a little bit of a tune on it, but it's still pretty conservative. You'll love the VMP tune, cars with VCT always benefit greatly from proper custom tuning.

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
Absolutely. Besides getting a bump in power, your overall drivability will increase. Tunes typically have better throttle response, etc. I've used Justin's tunes on my last 3 Mustangs.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Great service, great tuning. These guys are my lifeline on tuning. I deal with Alex since he is who tuned my car originally. Every person there tuning is good. And they work problems that may arise together.

Some tips. First contact them with your interest and what you have done to the car currently. This way you get the proper tune and provided the correct price and package. After getting it, datalog and send back if they ask for it. Stay with the same tuner on followup. They are all good and they all work together but it helps to develop a relationship with the tuner you receive the tune from. Makes it better all the way around.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I second and third VMP. I think I have one of the oddest combinations ever thrown at him and it's been running strong for nearly 5 years without a hiccup. Just ask the Hellcat on I-95 last night lol.

Tuco63

Reaction score
I agree with the other posters - VMP tunes are generally spot on. I had one on a 2006 Mustang with a Whipple. It ran great.

46addict

Reaction score
If it were me I would wait to do a tune required modification before buying a new tune to lessen the amount of retunes. Unless you're certain you're finished modifying the car, which we never are. :D

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
If it were me I would wait to do a tune required modification before buying a new tune to lessen the amount of retunes. Unless you're certain you're finished modifying the car, which we never are. :D

That's a good point. Back in the early S197 day, guys where throwing around free tunes for life and I think alot of people still believe that. I've had two dyno tunes and the second was just for a pulley swap. I paid $600 for each session. I still say it was worth it though.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a VMP tune on my 3V explorer and it really woke the truck up.

Do it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner once you feel the difference, you will feel like you are in control of the car rather than at the mercy of the stock computer.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I just hate the thought there's a little more hp/torque just sitting there waiting to be accessed. I won't be throwing a blower on this or any major mods that would require a retune for quite some time. Just want to make full use of what's already there.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I really liked my stock tune on my Bullitt, I think after you got used to the 20-50% more sensitive throttle you'd just be back in the same place. It's not like you'r adding 30 hp. The bullitt cal already adds as much timing as it can based on the fuel you're running.

The guys I know in detroit especially were really impressed with the Bullitt cal. It was something new for them, if you can believe that. Pre 2008! Pre housing crash. Cars still had cheap ass interiors and edison bulbs, toothpick displays and only 4 air bags. It was a different era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuIAbvj0Te0

46addict

Reaction score
On a near stock car I just can't imagine there is a lot to be gained power wise, from a custom tune. The biggest difference will be in throttle sensitivity and the tune can also fix rpm hanging issues if you have that problem.

There are cheaper investments than a blower kit so if stuff like cams or headers are in the near future it might be worth the wait.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just hate the thought there's a little more hp/torque just sitting there waiting to be accessed. I won't be throwing a blower on this or any major mods that would require a retune for quite some time. Just want to make full use of what's already there.

There is plenty to be gained, especially with your car because the biggest stock restriction is already taken care of by the factory. I'm talking about the cai. You got the excellent Bullitt CAI.

On a near stock car I just can't imagine there is a lot to be gained power wise, from a custom tune. The biggest difference will be in throttle sensitivity and the tune can also fix rpm hanging issues if you have that problem.

There are cheaper investments than a blower kit so if stuff like cams or headers are in the near future it might be worth the wait.

A tune from VMP is along the lines of $50. IMO he will gain around 20-25rhwp depending. $2 per rwhp is a bargain to me.

This is hands down the biggest bang for the buck on a 3v. CAI and tune. Ford already gave him the best looking cai, now he just needs a kick ass tune to go with it.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I've got to get the SCT X4 along with the tune so it's a little more than $2/hp but still worth it to me.

46addict

Reaction score
There is plenty to be gained, especially with your car because the biggest stock restriction is already taken care of by the factory. I'm talking about the cai. You got the excellent Bullitt CAI.

A tune from VMP is along the lines of $50. IMO he will gain around 20-25rhwp depending. $2 per rwhp is a bargain to me.

This is hands down the biggest bang for the buck on a 3v. CAI and tune. Ford already gave him the best looking cai, now he just needs a kick ass tune to go with it.
Had no idea their tunes are that cheap. Is this a custom tune based on datalogs?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back