Welders! Got a question for ya

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running a lincoln 140 with .035 Flux lincoln wire, but I feel I can use a better wire, what does everyone use??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
does your rig have a purge setup? if it does, get a tank of argon and some solid wire. huge difference

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
I can hookup a tank eventually my goal is to run Flux with a argon co2 mix but at the current moment I can't get a tank the local supplier decided to fudge up something with their tank rentals

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
But I agree gas welding makes all the difference I'm just trying to make lemonade with apples haha

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I haven't really messed with flux so I'm not much help. I use solid wire and 75/25% mix at home and co2 at work, definitely prefer 75/25.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I can hookup a tank eventually my goal is to run Flux with a argon co2 mix but at the current moment I can't get a tank the local supplier decided to fudge up something with their tank rentals

Buy your tank if you can in your area. I own my own acet./oxeg., as well as my argon bottle. The argon bottles are only approx. 100 bucks + the gauge setup.

Sent from iPhone

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
Buy your tank if you can in your area. I own my own acet./oxeg., as well as my argon bottle. The argon bottles are only approx. 100 bucks + the gauge setup.

Sent from iPhone
I can get a tank problem is no one will fill it. I've got arc3 gases here but they only fill their own tanks

Silverhorse.s197

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
Flux cored wire doesn't weld bad as long as you have your Polarity right . Alot of the machines are sent set up for solid wire / gas welding .. For flux cored wire , make sure you switch your +&- cables inside the machine. Lincoln makes an Innersheild NR-211-mp wire that welds very nicely . I keep a few rolls in my service truck for my spool gun . Pros of flux core vs solid wire is mainly the penetration . Whereas solid wire with a straight CO2 will give you the best penetration, but a not so nice weld appearance . 75ar/25co2 mix is the most common mix out there and just about everyone uses it . ER70-S6 is a nice all purpose soild wire also . If you want a really nice weld appearance , we use a Steelmix .. I think it 90% argon , 7.5% co2 and 2.5% o2

Btw i carry an ASME pressure vessel cert and a AWS D1.5 Bridge cert .. Feel free to pm any questions about anything welding related ..

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
Flux cored wire doesn't weld bad as long as you have your Polarity right . Alot of the machines are sent set up for solid wire / gas welding .. For flux cored wire , make sure you switch your +&- cables inside the machine. Lincoln makes an Innersheild NR-211-mp wire that welds very nicely . I keep a few rolls in my service truck for my spool gun . Pros of flux core vs solid wire is mainly the penetration . Whereas solid wire with a straight CO2 will give you the best penetration, but a not so nice weld appearance . 75ar/25co2 mix is the most common mix out there and just about everyone uses it . ER70-S6 is a nice all purpose soild wire also . If you want a really nice weld appearance , we use a Steelmix .. I think it 90% argon , 7.5% co2 and 2.5% o2

Btw i carry an ASME pressure vessel cert and a AWS D1.5 Bridge cert .. Feel free to pm any questions about anything welding related ..
Best advice I've heard from anyone thanks man I appreciate it!

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score

The polarity is correct first thing I did when loading my wire and I also use the Lincoln 211 but it really seems to be sensitive to mill scale or any contaminant. It throws weld berries like no tomorrow! Also I found out very quickly it does NOT like to arc on any Flux.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
Mig Flux core isn't bad, Just remember to Clean clean clean. The cleaner it is, the better the welds.

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I've figured that, just some UGLY looking welds. Granted I am by no means a professional, but I'm learning when I can.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back