What Do You See

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is mine, but not in my car. I am wrenching on it right now. The picture is with a scope.

4F00A35C%20Large_zpsa69aoaq6.jpg

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I am no expert but looks like you are missing a piece of the piston top but it also looks machined that way?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What is going on with the lifter bore?

4F00A91F%20Large_zpst3rnozmc.jpg

4F00A92C%20Large_zpso34zdamp.jpg

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Lifter bore looks normal to me, drilled oil passage intersects the bottom of the bore.

Piston almost looks like part of it is missing at the valve pocket but i haven't looked at a stock piston for awhile so it might be normal. Rust on the cylinder wall isn't normal though.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lifter bore looks normal to me, drilled oil passage intersects the bottom of the bore.

Piston almost looks like part of it is missing at the valve pocket but i haven't looked at a stock piston for awhile so it might be normal. Rust on the cylinder wall isn't normal though.

The missing bottom of the lifter bore with jagged edges is normal?

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score

From what I recall, yes.

Pull some others and look, they will be like that also. The bottom of the lash adjuster (lifter) has a big chamfer on it and only rests in the center of the bore.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From what I recall, yes.

Pull some others and look, they will be like that also. The bottom of the lash adjuster (lifter) has a big chamfer on it and only rests in the center of the bore.

There were no lifters when I got it. They are all busted on the bottom in various shapes and jagged edges. You can see motor casting.

You are missing a piece of piston top. What happened?

Thought I bought a good deal...LOL. The head bolts took uneven amounts of torque to come off. It takes every ounce of strength I have to turn the motor over and it doesn't sound great doing it.

4F00C760%20Large_zpsqesyvw1f.jpg

4F00C74B%20Large_zps9oezzkfm.jpg

4F00C71A%20Large_zpsnd75sgcd.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I wouldn't turn it over any more. You are risking gouging the cylinder bores beyond repair. My guess would be that detonation broke the piston top.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't turn it over any more. You are risking gouging the cylinder bores beyond repair. My guess would be that detonation broke the piston top.

It sounds like the crank bearings, but good advice.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score

I might be wrong. The oil passage is drilled to intersect both the exhaust and intake lash adjuster bores. That is on the opposite side. I'm digging through some old pictures to see if I can find one. Runs in my mind that I have seen that before though.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong. The oil passage is drilled to intersect both the exhaust and intake lash adjuster bores. That is on the opposite side. I'm digging through some old pictures to see if I can find one. Runs in my mind that I have seen that before though.

I don't think it is a coincidence that there were no lifters and all the lifter holes are busted out.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
ive got a set of heads if you end up needing them. full valvetrain, cams, and phasers included. ill ship them to a builder/ porter if you want

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Normal, well i say that cause all mine where like that on both heads lol

I just can't believe that is normal, jagged edges and none of them are the same shape, lol. I mean the head is toast on the other side. I can't find a picture of a new head.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ive got a set of heads if you end up needing them. full valvetrain, cams, and phasers included. ill ship them to a builder/ porter if you want

I appreciate that...this engine was supposed to give me options down the road. If I wanted to go back to stock, easy peasy. If I wanted to go nuts for 1,000HP, I could build it instead of pulling my current motor.

I am just pissed the dumb ass wasted my time and money. If I had just thrown it in the corner of the shed, he would have burned my ass good.

Have to wait and see how this plays out with paypal.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
almost looks like a bolt was dropped in the chamber...damn...

lito

forum member
Reaction score
The first pic looks more that there is liquid there (oil or whatever) and the piston underneath can be perfectly good, also, adjuster bores are like that on these heads.

Screw thread imprints look bad, sorry.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back