What have you done to your house today

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Builders always lie about the completion date. I think they are afraid you will go with someone else. I have never seen a builder meet a completion date. How much time did he originally give you to build the house?

"Two weeks" ?

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Builders always lie about the completion date. I think they are afraid you will go with someone else. I have never seen a builder meet a completion date. How much time did he originally give you to build the house?

We bought it in September, and at that time the foundation had already been poured. They said then that if everything went according to plan it would be done by the end of December, but told us to not be surprised if it was more like the end of January.

Last week they told our mortgage company that it was still on track for the end of January, so we could lock in our mortgage rate. I'm not sure what happened between then and now, but it looks like we'll have to wait another month to lock it in.

I guess I just got used to how quickly the builders in Houston would whip out houses.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't do anything to my house, but the driver for the moving company handling my new neighbor's move did.

He got my mailbox. He got it real good. He tried to back his 18-wheeler down our secluded, small street, but got a little too close, knocked the metal post down and scratched up the mailbox rather successfully.

As shit does happen, I went out to ask him how to go about filing an insurance claim, but instead he took to hiding in his cab. I seriously stood right in front of the truck, and saw him carefully look up and then duck two times, as he would see me still standing there. When I finally did get to talk to him, he insisted on fixing it instead of me calling their corporate line. That was fine with me.

It went okay until he got more and more pissed off, claiming he hadn't hit it, and called me a liar and thief for agreeing to letting him fix the post and replace the box, all the while him and his buddy were trying to put my post back up. They went off on a rant a bit in Spanish, so I switched language, too. Then, again, he insisted he didn't hit it, said it was all a conspiracy, and claimed that it wasn't an admittance of guilt as he handed me the cash for a new box, and stormed off.

At that point my other neighbor from across the street came out and asked him why the hell he'd hit his mailbox, too.

Now there's one pissed off driver fixing another mailbox, this is all one big conspiracy, but at least my new neighbor is a cool dude. Built like a brick shithouse and into cars.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Rasmus- I'm happy that you decided today that you're going to buy a new mailbox. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new choice.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
For my new-to-me house (that I haven't bought yet), today I bought a Porter Cable RN175A roofing nailer (linky), A Senco Pro 600 framing nailer (linky) and tomorrow I'm picking up a Dewalt DW706 compound miter saw. All three items are used off Craigslist and in excellent condition, so I'm getting pro quality tools at Harbor Freight prices. Once I'm done I can keep the tools or sell them for what I paid (or more). I've always been a believer in using quality tools because it's usually cheaper in the long run.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
We've got some local buy-sell-trade groups on Facebook that are tools only. I've been doing the same thing, just sitting back waiting to score good tools.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Got my crown molding installed today and put down some new baseboard+1/4 round. Just waiting on the new countertop to come in so I can get that and the backsplash installed and call this kitchen done!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418601554872.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418601554872.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418601571629.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418601571629.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418601588321.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418601588321.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 46

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Looking good man. I love how crown molding can really add to a room.

I got my heater all plumbed in for my shop today then did some obamacare on it to add a thermostat. Works great.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
^^thanks, the crown definitely changes the whole look, and that was my first time doing crown. Im still not sold on our paint color choice, its the same color as in our living room and looks good there I dont hate it, it just looks off to me. Hoping the new countertop and backsplash will help it tie into the cabinets better

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Nice job with the crown!! Especially since this was your first time installing. I can handle baseboard and door trim, but I find it much easier to throw a few bucks at my cousin (who is a finishing carpenter by trade) and watch him install it with ease. Much less stressful for me and probably saved me money in the long run by not screwing up some material.

Last edited:

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Yeah id imagine I took twice as long as someone who does this for a living. Would've been nice to have an extra hand to hold the other end of long pieces so I could line the mitered ends of easier. I was hesitant when I bought my dewalt miter saw a year or so ago thinking I didnt have much use for it, but its more than payed for itself since then

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Love it, countertop & backsplash done

0bc0205f1b610e5a62be2a74f7debc31.jpg

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Got some cool gifts yesterday for my shop.

I've got the fastest shop crapper in Texas now thanks to my mom.

And got a cool rack to organize my air tools.

And a pretty nifty fold down tire rack to get my track wheels off the floor.

Last edited:

mpm_1

forum member
Reaction score
envious of your space there Taxman...

did a shelf project using some branches (maple, walnut, sassafras on the coat hook) and a trunk (cherry) I salvaged from some storm damaged trees

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking good man. I love how crown molding can really add to a room.

I got my heater all plumbed in for my shop today then did some obamacare on it to add a thermostat. Works great.

First aid kit is a good idea.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Packing my shit up to try and sell it.

Let's say I want to get my next house build. Is there an app out there you all recommend to design the floor plan?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back