What pads do you use?

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
So yesterday we finally had a nice day. I buffed and polished my car, and applied a sealant. I have been using chemical guys 5.5 hex logic pads with a porter cable 7424 xp. Well I use orange for buffing, white for polishing, black for sealants and waxes. I had two orange pads fall apart on me. One just flying off the velco back. Has anyone had these problems? If so do you have a pad recommendation?
Thanks

Also glory shots of the car :)

View attachment 52192
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426519235.387658.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426519247.106111.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426519257.023399.jpg

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
Never had that problem. Try out Lake Country Hydrotech's or Flat Pads...

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I use the low profile hydrotech pads. How old are your pads and how do you care for them? If the foam wasn't in great shape or the adhesive on the backing failed I could see how they might fall apart.

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
They were two brand new pads, maybe 2 months old. I prepped the pads, via chemical guys process. And I have never had this happens before either. I may have just gotten a bad batch. But I was just curious what else was out there, or if there is a better way to prep?

28ONE

Reaction score
I'd call CG up and tell them your new pads fell apart. When you prep the pads, are you covering the entire surface with product? Only thing I can think of is defective pad or you're generating a lot of heat, lack of product on the pads surface, causing the adhesive to lose its strength thus falling apart. Hopefully you just had some bad pads...

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
What speed setting are you using on the PC, how much pressure are you applying?

Are you keeping the pads lubricated and adding some detail spray in between coats? How much product are you using?

I've never had a pad fall apart on me in over 8 years of working on cars. At most, a yellow pad started to "fade" after about 15 hours of actual usage between various cars.

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
Light pressure, speed of 5. Usually I pack the pad with product. And use about 5 dime size amounts in between sections. I don't lube in between. And I have never had it happen before either. To be honest I think I may have just gotten a couple of bad pads. My white pad did fine. Same With black. But at the same time I want to learn, and tricks I can to maybe help in the future.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Light pressure, speed of 5. Usually I pack the pad with product. And use about 5 dime size amounts in between sections. I don't lube in between. And I have never had it happen before either. To be honest I think I may have just gotten a couple of bad pads. My white pad did fine. Same With black. But at the same time I want to learn, and tricks I can to maybe help in the future.

Use a spray or two of detail spray with the product. Helps spread the polish and adds a bit of lubrication to the pad.

Speed setting 5 is optimal for a PC. Sounds to be a bad couple of pads. The Velcro backing should not come up even under heavy pressure and high speeds.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
I use the hydrotech pads as well. perfect results and simple and easy to use. 3 pads and you can play around with your products to get the exact result you want. however, the 3" hydrotech's were absolute garbage!! I guess there not perfectly round or something but they won't even spin properly for me. It's like there cocked over. have to use the LC Flat pads for the mini ones but hydrotech all the way for 5.5's

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back