Which new Alt & pulley

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Gonna replace the alternator and not sure which one to go with. Running a pretty decent stereo system (3 amps). Was looking at the PA Performance one from LMR for $410….any other recommendations?

I’d also like to put alittle smaller pulley on one to get better power for the amps just cruising around I guess. Have been reading stuff about over spinning the 05-09 alts….so is it gonna burn the alt up? If not what size pulley and anyone know where I can buy it?

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve ever heard of pulley swaps on alternators.. when I upgraded I just picked up the new style alternator from a 2010, it needed a little tweaking to fit but pretty basic install. Haven’t had any issues with it.

Reaction score
My OEM alternator died (blew a diode because of excessive rpm), and I swapped to a high output Powermaster alternator. Part number 48516 I believe.

I was also worried about lower output of a larger alternator at idle/cruising speeds, but the Powermaster tech guy assured me that wasn't a problem. Give them a call, they were super helpful over the phone.

Changing the pulley size is mostly related to the maximum rpm of the alternator at engine redline. You don't want to exceed the max rpm of the alternator, I forget what that is. I did end up changing pulley sizes so I can spin the engine up to 7500 rpm.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I just changed the alternator pulley on my 2010. Went from a 6 groove to a 8 groove clutch type pulley. What a pain in the ass getting the old pulley off. Even shattered one of the tools I bought for the job.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info! Looks like I can get the power master from summit racing at the cheapest price!!

oldtexasdog

Reaction score
I installed a AM PA performance 130 amp (323.00) and a PA performance Prem wire kit (69.00) and I run 4 100 watt amps. Been very happy.

Huberoy123

Reaction score
I replaced my alternator about 4 years ago, with one off of Amazon. I run 3 amplifiers and a high powered head unit with no problems. I paid $115 with free shipping. They come with a warranty, and they will pick it up free from your front porch if there is an issue.

jmustang

Reaction score
I would advise against PA Performance. After my stock unit failed I replaced it with one of their high output alternators. It went bad after less than a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back