whipple and fueling

MYLILSS

Reaction score
I have an 07 GT, and am thinking of throwing a Whipple I have laying around on the car. it is a complete intercooled kit, and has the Shelby 47lb injectors on factory rails. the car as it sits has stock locked out cams set at 4 degrees retard, and an off road x pipe with Flowmaster axle-back. with all that said, I am wanting to run 8-9 lbs of boost since this is my daily, and was curious what I needed pump wise to supply the fuel. would a boost a pump be enough or do I need a whole new pump ? I have seen some people running the stock pump close to 90% duty cycle but that doesn't sound all that safe. new to the s197's so any help is greatly appreciated

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have an 07 GT, and am thinking of throwing a Whipple I have laying around on the car. it is a complete intercooled kit, and has the Shelby 47lb injectors on factory rails. the car as it sits has stock locked out cams set at 4 degrees retard, and an off road x pipe with Flowmaster axle-back. with all that said, I am wanting to run 8-9 lbs of boost since this is my daily, and was curious what I needed pump wise to supply the fuel. would a boost a pump be enough or do I need a whole new pump ? I have seen some people running the stock pump close to 90% duty cycle but that doesn't sound all that safe. new to the s197's so any help is greatly appreciated

A bap along with a larger power wire should handle what you are planning provided you will be using gasoline as a fuel.

With that said the best solution imo is a GT500 pump and harness setup. It's easy to tune for and will provide enough fuel for whatever you decide to do. It's also probably the most expensive solution. There are less expensive alternatives like aftermarket pumps that will require an experienced tuner. Someone like Manuel (lito) could tune a custom pump setup without issue.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The 10 ga wire upgrade alone should suffice. That will reduce FPDC by 10%. If that doesn't do it, then install the bap. The wire upgrade, direct from battery post to trunk is a dirt cheap, and cost effective method to reduce FPDC.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with everything said... Also make sure the injectors are not too high or the intake tube will not clear them. Stock whipple injectors for the HO system are 39's and some varieties are too tall.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I agree with everything said... Also make sure the injectors are not too high or the intake tube will not clear them. Stock whipple injectors for the HO system are 39's and some varieties are too tall.

The injectors that come with a Whipple HO are 32lb. They are the original injectors for the Ford GT except the GT used 2 per cylinder.

The GT500 pumps allow for the delta psi to be jacked up enough that they will support around 500rwhp.

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
I have a deatschwerks 340 LPH fuel pump in my car, it is a drop in replacement for the stock basket, should support up to ~500rwhp, and only costs $170. Probably the cheapest option out there.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Walbro 405 and its at 88% DC with a 10 gauge wire to the fpdm. 8 psi and a stock engine. I'm not sure how it's going to handle 11 psi/500rw, probably wont and I'll be buying a gt500 setup and spending money twice. Think about it!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have a Walbro 405 and its at 88% DC with a 10 gauge wire to the fpdm. 8 psi and a stock engine. I'm not sure how it's going to handle 11 psi/500rw, probably wont and I'll be buying a gt500 setup and spending money twice. Think about it!

Out of curiosity how big are your injectors and what forced induction setup do you have? A bap might solve your fueling needs easier and cheaper than a dual pump setup.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
This pump is spec'd as not to be used with voltage boosters - I'd go back to a stock pump I guess.

Roush 47/53 lb short injectors. They run them at 43 psi fuel pressure to get to 53 lb.

VMP 1.9 TVS.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The Roush M90 on my 2010 uses 39 lb injectors. With 5.8 psi boost + 10 ga wire mod, FPDC is 78%. 490 crank hp...that's with LT's, catted H, dual 62mm TB, 94 tune. With the smaller blower pulley and 8-9 psi, still no bap required. Any more, then the bap is needed.

MYLILSS

Reaction score
Can someone go a little more in depth on the 10 ga. wire mod ? This may be all I need to do.

This car is seriously just a daily and I have the whipple sitting on my work bench so I might as well use it. I'm not wanting anything super crazy and was hoping to make around 400 rwhp when it's all said and done. I could even pulley it for less boost to get to that power level if need be

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Can someone go a little more in depth on the 10 ga. wire mod ? This may be all I need to do.

This car is seriously just a daily and I have the whipple sitting on my work bench so I might as well use it. I'm not wanting anything super crazy and was hoping to make around 400 rwhp when it's all said and done. I could even pulley it for less boost to get to that power level if need be

FWIW my stock pump only lasted to 409rwhp with 32lb injectors and forced induction.

You might as well go 8 gauge if you are replacing the wire. In a nutshell you run a fused wire from the ebc (fuse box under the hood) to the trunk area. It goes to a relay that's turned on by the original power wire. The output from the relay splices into the wire harness where the stock power wire went before you cut it to power the relay. Doing this keeps the emergency pump shutoff active in case of an accident.

It will take an hour at most if you have all the parts ready when you start.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back