wiper motor issue

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
neglected my cowl drains and got water intrusion into my wiper motor. It was acting super erratic otw to work Monday, but Sunday it was totally fine.

I replaced the motor with a new one, but now there's a new issue, that I can't figure out at all.

Wiper motor installed, wiper arms not hooked up. Turn wiper function to first click and they cycle once, wait about 20 seconds, and they cycle once again. If I attach my wiper arms and turn wiper function to first click, they cycle about 6 times and sometimes stop in the middle of the windshield.

Last time, I left the wiper switch on the first click. Watched the spindles cycle once about 3 times, like it should. Attached driver side wiper arm while it was in the pause segment. Drivers side wiper cycled about 5-6 times.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I know how to remove and replace a wiper motor. Thank you for the diagram though. I've never seen a wiper motor for this car that comes with the linkage attached to it, it's just a motor and you bolt it up to the existing linkage.

I have a new motor being delivered today, hopefully I just got a bad one out of the box. Also going to de-pin the connector and check all of the terminals on the plug for corrosion.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I know how to remove and replace a wiper motor. Thank you for the diagram though. I've never seen a wiper motor for this car that comes with the linkage attached to it, it's just a motor and you bolt it up to the existing linkage.

I have a new motor being delivered today, hopefully I just got a bad one out of the box. Also going to de-pin the connector and check all of the terminals on the plug for corrosion.
Not doubting you. Did you read Note # 2?

Reaction score

Here is a pic of a OEM Ford S197 wiper motor. It comes with the linkage arm attached.

96d7f8514929e6bf6286eaf223eda23a.webp

https://www.searchfordparts.com/oem...KdV-duyUHydXODVv5wZtyO7Hyuor9JjkaAv1pEALw_wcB

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Not doubting you. Did you read Note # 2?
I did.

I clocked my armature the same was it was when I removed the existing motor. Like I said, it works perfect with no wiper arm attached, but for some reason, the drag/resistance of the wiper arm causes it to freak out. It's not an alignment issue.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Definitely a motor issue. Bolted new one up and it functions at it should. The stud on the other one was different, I had to use a couple washers to get the linkage arm to seat onto the splined stud.

The issue wasn't really that they were parking incorrectly sometimes. It's that the motor would activate the wipers 5-6 times with the arms attached (when it should only activate them once) and only activate once (like it should) with no arms attached.

Reaction score
I'm not paying what ford wants for a wiper motor

Edit: they've come down quite a bit since I last looked. They wanted almost $300 for that about a year ago
I don't blame you. I just wanted to show you that OEM's do come with linkage attached. There should be no reason that you can't attach one correctly yourself on an aftermarket one.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
apparently it's not the wiper motor, that's just a symptom of what's going on. The switch for brights doesn't work properly all the time. If I pull back on the stalk, they'll flash on for a second then click off on their own. If I push the stalk forward for constant on, nothing happens. But this doesn't happen all the time. Also, I've noticed my head unit, on google maps, will flash between night and day mode. If I turn my headlight switch completely off, it stops. This could be another wiper motor/switch issue as that controls the headlights as well.

So wipers and brights are the only things affected. I'm guessing it's either the multifunction switch (which I have on order, should be here in a few days), or the SJB.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Another update, went to move car after getting home ... key on and relay in passenger side foot well started clicking like crazy, wipers didn't work correctly at all. They stopped halfway through the cycle, would only work on constant wipe, not intermittent and would stop anywhere in the cycle whenever I turned the switch off.
15 later, everything works normally, no relay clicking. Wipers and brights work normal.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
is there anything special about the accessory delay relay in the SJB? Or is it just a 40 amp relay?

part number is 5c3t-14b192-aa

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Wiper motor was faulty, new replacement works as it should. Still an issue with the brights though, sometimes, not all the time. I think I've heard the relay clicking a few times after starting as well. If the multifunction switch doesn't fix the issue, I'll swap the relay next.

since no one seems to know/care/read this, I'll put it here for someone else's future reference. There are 4 and 5 pin relays, mine is a 4 pin.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back