Working towards putting in a turbo kit

Mrjiggy

Reaction score
Hello, I hope I'm on the right Thread for this. I'm starting to work towards making my 06 mustang GT a track car with the ultimate goal of throwing a turbo kit on it. With that being said I want to make sure I upgrade all the necessary equipment to put down the power correctly. So far the engine was rebuilt with an iron block from 98. Terminator connecting rods and 42ibs injectors. There is so much info out there and parts out there, but I am new and have no idea in what order I should upgrade everything in to make sure I don't break the car. Could use some help. With the engine rebuilt and running great what should be my next project to get my car to where I want it to be?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Driveline

clutch
Transmission
Drive shaft
Rearend

suspension
UCA
LCA

07 Boss

Reaction score
Build from the ground up;

Wheels and tires
suspension
drive train
engine

That is a tried and true recipe for success.

Side note: I always buy something blingy every time I buy a performance part. Like any relationship you have to find a balance. It's like buying your wife a new vacuum for your anniversary. It'll perform a lot better if you buy some diamond earrings to go along with it. Just saying, there is such a thing as what I call Car Karma.

Mrjiggy

Reaction score
Thanks! now I know where to start. With that what gear ratio should I go if I'm going more for a track car then a drag car? would 3.73 work or would 4.10 still be the plan?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Track as in road racing?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Instead of doing a drag car. I wanted to try and make my mustang great on the track not just a in a straight line. Balance and performance.

Then you definitely want to start with tires and suspension. Maybe some chassis stiffening before you go with building power.

Mrjiggy

Reaction score
Then you definitely want to start with tires and suspension. Maybe some chassis stiffening before you go with building power.
Alright I think that's gonna be the next projects brakes and wheels

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Instead of doing a drag car. I wanted to try and make my mustang great on the track not just a in a straight line. Balance and performance.
That’s fine, just not sure turbo is the way to go, be prepared for a lot of cooling upgrades

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Forced induction is not conducive to road racing with an S197. You will never be able to keep it cool enough unless you're willing to build a ridiculous car that's fully stripped and uses the entire trunk for cooling apparatuses. I'm also ignoring the fact that in this chassis, you really can't use all that horsepower on a road course without some serious suspension, tires, and aero work.

If you're serious about boost, forget open tracking it. If you're serious about it being on a road course, stay naturally aspirated.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back