WTB Cobra Engineering Dowel Pin Fixture

Reaction score
Looking to buy or borrow a fixture to drill and tap the block to install tension arm dowel pins from Cobra Engineering.

Seems silly to pay $175 for a fixture I'm going to use once, especially if someone has one sitting on their shelf.

Willing to ship the fixture back if you'd like to keep it for future use.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW,
I felt the same as you... Finally just bought a fixture myself, used it once, and then sold it for about $25 less than what I bought it for.... So it only cost me $25 to do that mod... Just an idea.

"JRGoffin" over on the ModularFords forum has one I think... You might try PM'ing him.

I will also tell you that you'll need a drill press to make sure the tensioner arms get drilled out perfectly square... I used a 9mm drill bit (if memory serves) ... Which is an exact fit to the diameter of the upgraded pins... But, my tensioner arms wouldn't fit on the pins until I honed them by hand a little bit... I stuffed a strip of some 3M abrasive pad in the hole and worked it by hand until the fit was nice on the pin. Maybe a couple thousandths??

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I couldn't justify the cost of the fixture.
I stepped up one bit size as a time until I worked my way up to 8mm (I used the M8 accufab pins). Since each bit only removes a small amount of material, you use minimal pressure and the pins went in and sat flush when I was done. Cam timing measured 108.5 degrees on both banks and the motor saw the rev limiter more times than I'd like to admit, no issues.

Reaction score
"JRGoffin" over on the ModularFords forum has one I think... You might try PM'ing him.

Thanks, I'll reach out to him! Selling the fixture is certainly a good idea.

I couldn't justify the cost of the fixture.
I stepped up one bit size as a time until I worked my way up to 8mm (I used the M8 accufab pins). Since each bit only removes a small amount of material, you use minimal pressure and the pins went in and sat flush when I was done. Cam timing measured 108.5 degrees on both banks and the motor saw the rev limiter more times than I'd like to admit, no issues.

Did you drill the holes with the engine in the car or out of it? I'm not pulling the motor, I'm curious if I'll have space and a good line of sight to drill straight hole 'free hand'. Pulling the timing cover today to see what the space in the engine bay is like...

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
With the radiator out you should have enough room.

Go slow... Use tape on your drill bit to mark your initial depth based on the stud length. You don't want to go too deep... But.... The bevel of the drill bit and the taper of the tap makes you have to go slightly deeper than the stud thread length, so you'll have to creep up on it and go slightly deeper until you have enough room to tap the threads.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you drill the holes with the engine in the car or out of it? I'm not pulling the motor, I'm curious if I'll have space and a good line of sight to drill straight hole 'free hand'. Pulling the timing cover today to see what the space in the engine bay is like...
I did it with the motor out of the car.
Not sure I'd try it without the fixture if the motor is still in the car.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back