Going to drag for the first time.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
SO after a 30 year absent from hitting the 1\4 mile, i need some pointers.
car is an 09 GT 5 speed.
i have a Mcloed clutch
spec fly wheel
slp axle back
BBK cai
3.55 gears
tires are bridgestone potenza
and a barton shifter.

should i do a burn out, ?
at what RPM would be safe to launch, i was thinking
around 2000 RPM would be safe.

if these questions have been asked before i apologize

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
your missing an important point

what tires?

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
You can do a burnout but don't get in the waterbox, 2000 rpm is a start, if it sticks keep going up till you find the sweet spot

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Be VERY careful at the track with street tires. Avoid the water box.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can do a burnout but don't get in the waterbox, 2000 rpm is a start, if it sticks keep going up till you find the sweet spot

+2. IMO, the water box isn't a big deal. I always do burn outs even with the street tires. The way I look at it (at least here, where its starting to get cold) you'll want to warm up the tires enough so there not "cold" anymore. Don't go crazy, there not drag radials.

Edit- Being that you have a taller gear, don't be afraid to rev up if the track is prepped. My best times with street tires was at 3,500rpm.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
+2. IMO, the water box isn't a big deal. I always do burn outs even with the street tires. The way I look at it (at least here, where its starting to get cold) you'll want to warm up the tires enough so there not "cold" anymore. Don't go crazy, there not drag radials.

Edit- Being that you have a taller gear, don't be afraid to rev up if the track is prepped. My best times with street tires was at 3,500rpm.

your launching at 3,500 RPM, i may have to rethink my strategy. maybe i'll start off around 2.800 RPM.
Friday night it should be in low 60's ( new Hampshire )

thanks for all the advice

K_Brogoitti

forum member
Reaction score
Plus 1 for staying out of the water box on street tires. I went to the track Friday night and was spinning like mad through the top of second gear. Track prep was crappy but it was my first time down the quarter. 4.10 gears didnt help either but I was launching at 2000ish and I got out pretty good on street tires til my V3 hit peak boost then just blew the tires off. You should hook better with 3.55s though. Toy around with different rpms for launch but don't go crazy

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nah... This has never been asked......

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
your launching at 3,500 RPM, i may have to rethink my strategy. maybe i'll start off around 2.800 RPM.
Friday night it should be in low 60's ( new Hampshire )

thanks for all the advice

That was with good track prep. Def try out some different combos.

Nah... This has never been asked......

You would be so bored without threads like this ;)

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I like more RPMs and A LOT of clutch slip. I've launched at 5000rpms on street tires, but murdered the clutch leaving clean. That keeps the motor in the powerband.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like more RPMs and A LOT of clutch slip. I've launched at 5000rpms on street tires, but murdered the clutch leaving clean. That keeps the motor in the powerband.

Yup, and believe it or not (at least in my experience) my stock clutch and my Exedy clutch held up just fine. I went through two transmissions, a stock diff and even a Eaton diff, but I never had an issues with either of those clutches.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
^^^ you 2 guys scare me. ,,,, remember this is my DD and i'll be 100 miles from home.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^ you 2 guys scare me. ,,,, remember this is my DD and i'll be 100 miles from home.

My experiences with breaking stuff was over time, I prob have 500 passes on my car (prob a lot more). I actually only broke down at the track once. Thats when I blew my eaton dif on drag radials and I had my turbo set up.

When I was stock and had bolt ons, I was fine. I eventually destroyed my 3rd gear in my trans (get a shifter, and k member brace with tq limiters btw). I also chipped up my spider gears in my stock diff after a while.

Overall, my 3v has been a stout at the track, so go race your brains out!:beerdrink:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah plus one to this. My local strip is 75 miles away. AAA membership maybe? LOL

AAA doesn't cover your car for racing. Funny enough though, the one time I was racing and broke, I some how talked them into getting my car. Even the tow truck driver was confused on how I got approved for a tow.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
someone in another thread was doing a road race and his thermostat housing busted<v6 plastic>, he nursed it off the track and onto the interstate, called AAA and got his tow :p

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

That being the case I can tell you for sure don't do any 5,000 RPM take-Offs !!!

I would not be doing any Power-Shifting either.

Actually this being your DD I would (Suggest) just going and have some fun.

Practice makes perfect but with a DD one might want to use "Caution" when Drag-Racing is my advise.

Here is what I would suggest if this is your 1st time doing the drag racing thing.

Just act like you are on the street and see how things go.

That way more than likely the Mustang will stay in one unbroken piece and you can enjoy driving it home and to work the next day.

Good-Luck & have Fun,
Terry

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
My experiences with breaking stuff was over time, I prob have 500 passes on my car (prob a lot more). I actually only broke down at the track once. Thats when I blew my eaton dif on drag radials and I had my turbo set up.

When I was stock and had bolt ons, I was fine. I eventually destroyed my 3rd gear in my trans (get a shifter, and k member brace with tq limiters btw). I also chipped up my spider gears in my stock diff after a while.

Overall, my 3v has been a stout at the track, so go race your brains out!:beerdrink:

i have the barton shifter and i have the preform motor mounts ( the semi-solid ones ) this really improved all shifting

im not total unfamiliar with drag racing ( just been absent for 30 years ) i use to hit the track with my 1985 kawasaki ninja 1000. that bike ran mid 11's at a 120 +
so as i see it

stay out of the water box

dont launch it at warp 9

have shit loads of fun.

thanks for all the input.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back