NHRA rule change

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
According the the track I go to on thursdays, they are going to roll with it. Every Thursday is a TNT. They were the ones who brought it to my attention during tech--and I think their motive is to get more cars to show up every Thursday night for TNT. They were telling everyone in tech to get the word out.

So, once again, I am saying its going to vary alot depending on the track.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
One is factory, with all of the engineering and testing and approvals behind it. The other is not. That is the only difference I can think of---as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Which still makes zero sense.

A stock GT500 on drag radials is no safer than a bolt-on 2011+ GT that runs low 11s.

Either one will bend just as much if it hits the wall. The car shell is the same.

Rules that run contrary to logic are laughable.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You realize its not a mustang specific rule.?

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Which still makes zero sense.

A stock GT500 on drag radials is no safer than a bolt-on 2011+ GT that runs low 11s.

Either one will bend just as much if it hits the wall. The car shell is the same.

Rules that run contrary to logic are laughable.

Your argument is valid. However, since one is 100% stock as it was built by the manufacturer and one is modified by it's owner, It probably makes perfect sense to NHRA's insurance company.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, but I'm using Mustangs as an example because it's a Mustang site.

Allowing a ZR1 on drag radials but disallowing a H/C/I LS3 C6 makes no sense either.

;)

Like many NHRA rules.

zemog255

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm just a tnt guy. Not very familiar with the competition rules. With that said a quick glance at the nhra guidelines has a common denominatior. Altered is only used in reference to the chassis for sfi.

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf

Comments? Flames?

That was my thought as well, when they use the term "unaltered" they are usually referring to chassis setup. Obviously this rule is being interputed many different ways. I don't know why the NHRA hasn't made a press release to just clear it up and be specific with what they mean. Unless Its just there way of letting the tracks decide, while getting themselves out liability if something were to go wrong.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm just a tnt guy. Not very familiar with the competition rules. With that said a quick glance at the nhra guidelines has a common denominatior. Altered is only used in reference to the chassis for sfi.

http://www.nhra.com/UserFiles/file/General_Regulations.pdf

Comments? Flames?

The local tech guy I know and the local Chassis builder interpret the rule that way as well.

I'm all for it as I don't wear a helmet when driving on the street and I don't want to have to strap into a 5 point harness either so having a rollbar not far from my head-even if it is padded can be a hazard during even a minor accident. Several years ago, a guy got T-boned on the driver's side of his F-body, his head hit against the side of the rollbar and he was killed instantly, even though the rollbar was padded. It was not a severe accident as far as T-bones go and if he'd been strapped to the seat tighter, his body probably wouldn't have moved enough for his head to contact the rollbar. He was using the OE seatbelt that was required by provincial law in order to drive on the street.
They figured that he was sitting with his seat positioned further back than when he raced the car which also contributed to him contacting the bar.
I'm not discounting the safety of a rollbar for track use but with modern cars and the safety engineered into them from the factory, why add something that could interfere with all the safety features that are already there? For example, could a rollbar interfere with a factory side airbag's intended inflation area?
Just my $0.02, flame away.

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there where any updates from NHRA inregards to "unaltered" cars and how everyone experience is at the track. I was at atco last week and there was a s/c 5.0 running 11 flat with no roll bar. I ask the owner of the car if tech gave him a hard time and he said yes, but after they reviewed the rules, they let him in.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I do know a local CTSV owner running low 11s with pulleies/headers/etc but he knows all the track people and is buddies with them. They told him if he did anything that made it look not stock under the hood they would boot him, but since it is a factory blower they will look past it. Now if I show up with a vortech/TVS/etc they don't care, no go. So for 99% of the people it is bone stock, unless you are buddies with the tech people, then you can get away with a bit more.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do know a local CTSV owner running low 11s with pulleies/headers/etc but he knows all the track people and is buddies with them. They told him if he did anything that made it look not stock under the hood they would boot him, but since it is a factory blower they will look past it. Now if I show up with a vortech/TVS/etc they don't care, no go. So for 99% of the people it is bone stock, unless you are buddies with the tech people, then you can get away with a bit more.

My track/tech is so easy (from the sounds of it). I just wasn't sure how strict other tracks are. The one time I went, they ask me if I had a stock motor and I said yes and I went right through. I wasn't lying, I have a stock motor, but just with a turbo strap to it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My track/tech is so easy (from the sounds of it). I just wasn't sure how strict other tracks are. The one time I went, they ask me if I had a stock motor and I said yes and I went right through. I wasn't lying, I have a stock motor, but just with a turbo strap to it.
LOL

if your track is where I think it is.... I was asked not to return after a rental.... a certain man with the initials KS, didn't care for my trap speeds... he was very cool about it

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL

if your track is where I think it is.... I was asked not to return after a rental.... a certain man with the initials KS, didn't care for my trap speeds... he was very cool about it

You don't have a roll bar? You could make the same argument the guy with the blown 5.0 was making, lol. His trap speed was 125+. Are you over the 135 mark?

Edit: 4.0L Whipple, that answers my question.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:lol: yea trapped 137-139

he let me stay the day.... this was also before the rule change in 2013 for the 08+ models

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
A little unrelated, because I don't have a Mustang anymore (for now), but I do have a Convertible...

Are you convertible guys getting away with sneaking in some sub-legal times? Obviously the 'official' ruling is 13.49 for convertibles. My C5 6-speed did 13.0s bone stock with drag radials on it. They didn't say anything to me. A couple weeks ago I ran a few 11.90s after a cam and longtube install, and they still never said a word. Couple years ago, my buddy's dad got the boot after one 12-sec and one 11-sec pass in his C5 convertible. Guess there's some inconsistenty.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back