Skim coating??

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
So im helping my gf redo her guest bathroom, it had wallpaper on it, ive gotten all the wallpaper off but in the process some of the drywall paper pealed off with the wallpaper, leaving uneven surfaces all over. Do i need to skim coat the entire wall to be able to smooth it out? Ive worked in the construction field for four years as an electrician and have been on jobs before where guys are putting skim coats on, but have never done it myself. So i get the basic process of it. Can yall give me any tips. Do i need to put a primer on the whole wall first? Any help would be great.

sent from the staging lanes

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
i wouldnt worry with the primer first thing, if the damage is minimal, just mud the holes , probably take a couple of thin coats, then sand it real good, and then prime it to see if the holes show through the primer or not. if it is a lot of damage i would skim it all after doing the above to the biggest holes.

AOnorato

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
What Rough said should work great. Just take your time and mud it right, and it should turn out great.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
yea i have done home improvement work for 19 years, the main thing in finish work is taking your time with it..good luck.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Im not talking about a paint primer, ive been on jobs where they roll some kind of clearish primer over the wall to help the compound stick to the wall better. But anyways i went ahead last night i gave it shot, kinda got frustrating, i think my coat was alittle to thick. I would get it somewhat smooth and then make a final pass and i would get grooves or chucks of it come out in certain spots. I was using a 12 in joint knife, i think im gonna pick up a cement trowel, i think that would be easier. Ive watched a couple of youtube video s but those guys are pros so of course they are gonna make it look easy.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
I really dont think the walls in the bathroom have ever been painted. No sign of any consistent color underneath. Just white mostly with brown streaks in spots.

Last edited:

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Im not talking about a paint primer, ive been on jobs where they roll some kind of clearish primer over the wall to help the compound stick to the wall better. But anyways i went ahead last night i gave it shot, kinda got frustrating, i think my coat was alittle to thick. I would get it somewhat smooth and then make a final pass and i would get grooves or chucks of it come out in certain spots. I was using a 12 in joint knife, i think im gonna pick up a cement trowel, i think that would be easier. Ive watched a couple of youtube video s but those guys are pros so of course they are gonna make it look easy.

Never used primer.. and ive done this often. If your getting grooves.. you either have chunks of crap in the mud.. or your knife has little gouges in it. Also if it gets too dry it will give you problems. If you can get it without big grooves and fairly smooth then you can just sand it away repeat until your happy. Its just like anything else.. practice :beer:

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I also forgot to add.. watch the angle of the knife a higher angle or lower will affect the surface finish(chunking).

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
I had multiple rooms with wallpaper in my house when we moved in. Sounds like your walls were like mine, they threw up wall paper and didn't use any sizing. After the wallpaper removal, I spot patched the walls then sanded them smooth. I followed this up with the oil based Killz to make sure any glue I may have missed wouldn't reactivate with the latex based paint. The rooms turned out great, but make sure you have all the glue off before paint!

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Id say 85 percent of it peeled right off without using any remover. The rest i scored and sprayed remover on it, and for the most part that worked well. Just of the areas the drywall paper came up with it. I cant really see any glue residue. Some of the wall has what looks to be flaking joint compound. Whos knows what this wall has been through, good learning experience anyways

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
yea try using the smaller putty knife mabe 4-6 inch for just spot patching, the wider the knife the more experience floating it out you will need. if your mud clumps up on you, just add a little water, and get your drill and a small mixing paddle of some sorts and mix it very well, the better your mud is mixed the better you will be able to smooth it out, good luck, ha ha, mud sand repeat..

AOnorato

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Yeah using a smaller knife is 200x easier to get good results with...just takes longer obviously.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Yeah i kinda found that out last night with using the narrow end of the 11inch trowel. Doesnt help that wall are really wavy. Wish i hadnt spent 25 dollars on a 12 inch knife and 11 inch trowel cause i already had a 4 inch knife. I think i got most of it covered, time for sanding today, im gonna let her dad paint it..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back