Tsb 11-07-07

Reaction score
:wtf1:

Your kidding right? You a fill up expert or something?

Go fill up after someone and the hose still has what's left fromthe previous person.

Go read the owners manual, it states BP fuel is recommended

Yes, the owners manual does state BP fuel is recommended. But do you understand marketing schemes, and business partners? I'm sure BP paid a lot of money for one of the number one auto manufacturers to put that in the owners manual for mooks like you to fairy your way to each and every BP gas station you see.

I also think you might want to google a little device called a check valve. It is an amazing invention to prevent things such as you stated in your previous post from happening. If in fact what you posted was correct, you would have people just going up to pumps and getting a gallon at at time from the left over fuel that is residing in the hoses. I know i am from armpit of america alerbamer, but i have yet to see anyone going pump to pump snagging free gas from residual pump lines. Granted i am not saying there is not small amounts of fuel left in the lines, but it not enough to really matter as much as you stated.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
on my old 4.6L 3 valve it also recommends BP fuel and motorcraft oil, same as the new 5.0. doesn't mean it's any better than other brands. They make motorcraft so they recommend that, I'm sure BP paid them to recommend their fuel. other manufacturers probably recommend only using chevron or exxon fuel too.

There is actually a list of the best gas makers, forgot who topped the list but I believe it was a smaller company, i could be wrong though. really gas is the same, additives are the only difference. For example, we have 1 refinery in town, every gas station gets their gas from that same refinery, then they add their additives.

Last edited:

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
Yes, the owners manual does state BP fuel is recommended. But do you understand marketing schemes, and business partners? I'm sure BP paid a lot of money for one of the number one auto manufacturers to put that in the owners manual for mooks like you to fairy your way to each and every BP gas station you see.

I also think you might want to google a little device called a check valve. It is an amazing invention to prevent things such as you stated in your previous post from happening. If in fact what you posted was correct, you would have people just going up to pumps and getting a gallon at at time from the left over fuel that is residing in the hoses. I know i am from armpit of america alerbamer, but i have yet to see anyone going pump to pump snagging free gas from residual pump lines. Granted i am not saying there is not small amounts of fuel left in the lines, but it not enough to really matter as much as you stated.

I agree with both of you, to an extent. Yes there is residual, and I actually feel better getting my 92 from a seperate pump handle but I dont think the 1/3 gallon that it takes to fill the hose worth of 87 that Joe Snuffy just pumped is going to be the end all to my car. Especially spread out through 16 Gallons.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

302 you are 100% correct in this response. I have been in the fuel dispensing and hauling industry for 15 years now and you are spot on with the check valve analagy. I'd like for this other guy to go around with a 5 gallon gas jug after all the stations close at night and see how long it takes him to fill up his jug. And as far a gasoline goes the only real difference in branded gasolines is the additive that is blended in at the loading rack and ALL of those additives are very close in there chemical makeup. :beer:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the residual fuel left in the hose.

FWIW,

1 gallon of 87 mixed with 13 gallons of 93 = 92.5 octane. That's worst case scenerio as there's no way you're getting anywhere near a gallon from the hose. The weather, temperature, and fuel variations will have a greater effect on your car than 1/2 a point of octane.

The BP recommendation is a partnership, that's it. It doesn't mean that fuel is any better than anything else out there.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Is that even a viable option? If so, I doubt that would make much of a difference if you lock the motor up. Either way if you lock it up and reflash the PCM or replace it, it is going to show 0 drive cycles right?

Correct, no reason to do it on a 5.0 unless they implement some kind of flash counter/CRC check in the future like GM did.

But the GM guys with the flash counter do the spare PCM in case they have to bring it on for service or updates. They would screwed too if they break it where they cant drive it and swap PCMs.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Yeah a PCM swap on a car that's not drivable would be pointless, and actually counterproductive.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct, no reason to do it on a 5.0 unless they implement some kind of flash counter/CRC check in the future like GM did.

But the GM guys with the flash counter do the spare PCM in case they have to bring it on for service or updates. They would screwed too if they break it where they cant drive it and swap PCMs.

MyKey needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer with a PCM swap. How are you going to explain a new PCM to the dealer?

"I need you to reprogram this new stock PCM for me so that way you won't know I have a second, modified PCM."

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
MyKey needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer with a PCM swap. How are you going to explain a new PCM to the dealer?

"I need you to reprogram this new stock PCM for me so that way you won't know I have a second, modified PCM."

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

For obvious reasons it wouldn't be done in that way. Somebody generally knows somebody who is a tech who can reprogram them on the side.

Either way, I think we pretty much all agree that a PCM swap isn't likely going to get it done.

MetsSFTF

Reaction score
If you read your owners manual, the manual suggests to use BP gasoline.

I have always bought my gas from the same BP station and the same pump for over 10 years., and never had a issue with my cars in the past using blowing up.

I suggest everyone who does run the 93 tune, to buy gas from a station with 3 separate hoses for gasoline, one hose and handle for EACH GRADE OF FUEL.

If the last guy who just filled up with 87 octane and you use the same hose to fill up with 93 octane, you just dumped over a gallon of 87 into your car.

I only suggest this because if your cars tune is set for 93, one gallon will cut the amount of octane drastically. I forget the ratio, but its not worth taking the risk of accidentally putting some 87 into the car.

HTH
Max 87 you will get out of the hose and system will be about .3 gallons

and if you do the math, even with your supposed gallon, 15 gallons of 93 and 1 gallon of 87 will put your octane at 92.6, which isnt that much off

Bryan

forum member
Reaction score
The BP recommendation is a partnership, that's it. It doesn't mean that fuel is any better than anything else out there.

It's the best fuel for me here, it's the only brand that carries 93'octane. Everyone else is 91 or 92

92.5 octane this fillup. 92 next fillup. 91.5 on the third fillup
That's why I choose the pumps with three separate hoses, if the cars tune is for 93'octane, then why chance putting a little 87 or 85 in it?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That's why I choose the pumps with three separate hoses, if the cars tune is for 93'octane, then why chance putting a little 87 or 85 in it?

Because it's such a small amount you'll never see/feel/experience a difference in the octane. Like I said, there are numerous other things that are out of our control (weather, temp, variances in fuel) that will effect your tune more than a few ounces of 87 octane.

MetsSFTF

Reaction score
It's the best fuel for me here, it's the only brand that carries 93'octane. Everyone else is 91 or 92

Unless you are buying half a gallon each time, no way will your octane go lower each time, just do the math
even at 5 gallons a fill up, your supposed 1 gallon of 87 brings your 93 down to a 92, the next time you get 5 gallons, guess what, you added 92 to your already 92

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score

You math/logic is pretty bad on this one man.

Reaction score
If you admit you're wrong we would have a lot more respect. Its not that hard to do. We are all human. Hell, even i am wrong sometimes. :beerdrink::beer:

Vxer1000

Camaro Can Kicker
Reaction score
I think the only difference here is that with pre 2011 GTs you can throw some bolt ons on there and you dont see anyone reporting blown engines because of the mods.. like the 05-10 I never heard of anyone with engine trouble because of a tune, worst was like pinging likely because of gas. now we have to be careful and make sure a tune doesn't break the car... with Ti-VCT comes great responsibility i guess ;)

With 11 to 1 compression comes great responsibility. Engines at this compression level on pump gas are running near the edge. That is why Ford takes great care in tuning these cars for hundreds of varying conditions, 87 to 93 octane gas, different driving habits, elevation changes, hot and cold weather and a host of other conditions that no single aftermarket tuner could hope to mimic. As fun as aftermarket tunes can be, I would try to keep it safe on a daily driver. 15-20 extra HP isn't worth a blown motor and voided warranty in my opinion.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
How the F can the 4.6 max out around 500hp but the 5.0 can only stay at ~412 crank?

I agree with this logic. I think the tune matters just as much on the 5.0 as it did on the 4.6. Its just that the tuners are still on a steep learning curve.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back