five0three

forum member
Reaction score
this is my take (just a guess)
40% auto v6
30% man v6
20% auto gt
10% man gt

out of all the sales, i would imagine that maybe 2% of these people will add aftermarket F/I. even then, of that 2%, there is no guarantee that any of them would have bought one with a beefed up motor.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm considering the Boss oil cooler to help with this.

Technically the oil cooler would put more heat into the cooling system, as it uses coolant to cool the engine oil. I'd track the coolant flow to make sure it couldn't have any real effect on those rearward cylinders. Hopefully the radiator doesn't have a problem removing whatever additional heat the oil cooler adds. However, it should be mentioned, the Boss has a different radiator than the regular GT.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Since the Coyote has piston squirters I was thinking the oil cooler would probably do a good job of keeping the cylinders cooler as long as the smaller radiator could still do it's job.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I just finished a compression check on my engine. The readings ranged between 180 and 196. 180 was not #8 or #7. The readings were taken when the engine was warm and not at normal operating temperature. This engine uses a 1 piece spark plug.

Last edited:

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, but you have to pay $20,000 more for that option as opposed to what it would cost to hopefully have it as an option on the GT. $1000-$1500 sounds pretty reasonable IMO. I too would like to see Ford offer that as an option. The Boss is close, but still not quite there with full forged internals. I'd like to see some nice H-beams in the Boss, and as an option in the regular GT as well. Or at least, make the current Boss rods standard in the GT, and run h-beams in the Boss, and run the same forged Mahle pistons in both (which are what the Boss has currently). That's what I'd like to see.

GT500 also has a better fuel system, dual disc clutch, more expensive trans, stronger rear axle parts. Also if you put a loaded GT up against a base GT500 (which is a pretty loaded car) you are closer to 15K in price difference.

Lets say you dont do your own install, 6K for blower and tune, 1K for install, 1.5K for a clutch, 3K for a TR6060 conversion, 1K for upgraded limited slip clutch plates and better axles like the GT500 supposedly has and that gets you cloese. And the GT500 has a full factory warranty, the modded GT has no warranty at that point.

For me the base auto GT at 27K with a blower/tune and tires being the only mods and being under 35K with installing everything yourself is a bargain - especially since its a 10 second car. A risky one though, no powertrain warranty, but I'm willing to take the risk even if I break to the point of having to put a 4K shortblock in it.

I agree it would be awesome if they offered a forged engine package for a 1500.00 upcharge. But then people will be blowing rear ends and transmissions out of them and blaming ford for not putting beey enough driveline parts in after they bolt a blower to the forged engine.

The best thing for me would be a forged engine 2011+ GT500 with no power anything, no radio, no sound deadening, no AC and no warranty for 20 grand ;) I had a 95 GTS mustang and I loved that car, basic, no fancyoptions, cheap and fun to drive.

forum member
Reaction score
I also think an oil cooler is a good idea. I just don't like the Boss cooler as it uses the radiator coolant. I am going to use a sandwitch filter adapter and run 2 AN 10 lines to a cooler in front of the radiator with a fan and temp swich. Can't hurt.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
I also think an oil cooler is a good idea. I just don't like the Boss cooler as it uses the radiator coolant. I am going to use a sandwitch filter adapter and run 2 AN 10 lines to a cooler in front of the radiator with a fan and temp swich. Can't hurt.

It may be the squirters are helping cause the issues. Maybe the squirter on the #8 piston doesnt hit its mark or being so far from the oil pump it doesnt have the pressure of the others and isnt very effective. That plus the coolant being hotter back there..

If I was going to go through the trouble I would probably just yank the engine and do decent rods and pistons, and like the Boss block off the squirters to keep more oil where it should be at high RPM.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The BOSS cooler might be a better idea than a "standard" oil cooler in some situations. Since it uses engine coolant, it will never cool the oil below 180*F or so. (Using an air-to-oil cooler in cold climates could cause your oil to be too cool.)

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
The BOSS cooler might be a better idea than a "standard" oil cooler in some situations. Since it uses engine coolant, it will never cool the oil below 180*F or so. (Using an air-to-oil cooler in cold climates could cause your oil to be too cool.)

Most engine oil coolers I have seen had some type of thermostatic control to prevent overcooling.

Another issue is if the oil pump capacity is marginal to begin with adding lines, elbows and coolers may not be a good idea.

Either way if I was open track racing one of these on a 100* day I sure wouldnt be doing on a '93 race' tune if you are worried about the #8 piston.

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score

During the colder months you can put a plate over the heat exchanger to limit the flow and reduce the heat transfer coefficient to alleviate this issue with an air to oil heat exchanger.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
and like the Boss block off the squirters to keep more oil where it should be at high RPM.

The Boss 302R doesn't use squirters because they don't clear the pistons/rods they use. The regular Boss 302 still runs squirters.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
The Boss 302R doesn't use squirters because they don't clear the pistons/rods they use. The regular Boss 302 still runs squirters.

Didnt know that, I read the regular Boss didnt use them either, I dont have either so I never looked into it beyond what I read on the interwebz ;)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

None of the BOSS motors use squirters, because the oil sloshing around killed power at a high RPM. That's why the BOSS motors have forged pistons--because they lack the squirters.

Here's an interesting article about the development of the Roadrunner engine:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/index.html

EDIT: This is page 4 of the article, where they talk about the elimination of the squirters:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/short_block.html

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
Was thinking today about the warranty issue and ford checking the pcm for aftermarket tunes. Would it be possible to buy a new pcm, install it, install blower and tune. Then if there was an issue with #8 piston or something thats actually factory related to reinstal the stock pcm. Just a thought.....

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Was thinking today about the warranty issue and ford checking the pcm for aftermarket tunes. Would it be possible to buy a new pcm, install it, install blower and tune. Then if there was an issue with #8 piston or something thats actually factory related to reinstal the stock pcm. Just a thought.....

probably, but if youre gonna run enough boost to pop the motor may as well yank out the stock 5.0, and sell it to someone who is looking for one to do a swap.

Ton of people out there doing this. Use that money to put down on an Aluminator 5.0 and run a ton of boost :D

R

redline

No. The keys are coded to the PCM. Good luck getting Ford to buy into you asking to have your new PCM re-flashed to your existing keys.

anarchyx914

forum member
Reaction score
I havent read through all 15 pages of this.

But is there a way to make it so they cannot detect if it was tuned?

I really need to get mine in for the knock TSB.

I am planning on taking off the intake and putting about 500 miles on it with stock tune, is this sufficient?

I dont see how they can deny warranty claim on a car that has had a battery disconnect.

My mustang sat for so long (3 months) that the battery died and I had to jump it lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back