05 GT tuning issues...

meangreen

Reaction score
Yeah 15% not HP hah! Think I'm going to order a set of comp xfi stage 2 cams with the springs, phaser kit, and retainers...see where that puts me. Someone said something about s dyno jet...what's the problem with those?

Ohh I was talking about 15 HP lose between an auto and a manual. I know it's 12-15% parasitic lose across the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

oh5gt

Reaction score
Stage II's seem like a lot of cam for your listed mods. You'd want to work on the exhaust and intake to support these cams. Probably want to change the torque converter too.

Nothing wrong with dyno jet they just read a little higher that other dyno's. People like to compare apples to apples.

Not to take away from your issues but I'd be asking what secrets your friend has. He pulled some big numbers for a car with similar mods to yours.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dyno Jets typically read higher then most other major dyno brands

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
Yeah 15% not HP hah! Think I'm going to order a set of comp xfi stage 2 cams with the springs, phaser kit, and retainers...see where that puts me. Someone said something about s dyno jet...what's the problem with those?

Ohh I was talking about 15 HP lose between an auto and a manual. I know it's 12-15% parasitic lose across the board.

you need to STOP bench racing. i have heads/cams/intake and some of the bolt-on guys almost make as much power as i do. its not in the numbers, go to the drag strip/road course and see what your car actually does...
start by getting the proven bolt on parts, you are still shy without some type of tubular manifold, charge motion delete plates or intake manifold, a throttle body, a driveshaft, a torque converter.
if you get cams your best bet on stock heads/springs are the 127200's by comp. simple install and basic tune. if you want to go larger, start getting headers and the other bolt on parts first.

meangreen

Reaction score
All good ideas but I got a SCT tech out to the shop today and we started looking at stuff. There are a few things with the 05s that need special attention when tuning especially with this new Air Raid race intake in the mid throttle range. We ironed out the A/F and timing issues putting down 290whp and 288wtq.

So now I have good throttle response, no codes popping up, and nice steady curves on the graph. Im good for now till i can get all my internals piled up so I only have to pop the engine out once.

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

forum member
Reaction score
All good ideas but I got a SCT tech out to the shop today and we started looking at stuff. There are a few things with the 05s that need special attention when tuning especially with this new Air Raid race intake in the mid throttle range. We ironed out the A/F and timing issues putting down 290whp and 288wtq.

So now I have good throttle response, no codes popping up, and nice steady curves on the graph. Im good for now till i can get all my internals piled up so I only have to pop the engine out once.

Did he say why?

topbliss

Reaction score
sorry but your bud ain't putting down 320 with those mods.. You are about where you are supposed to be with your mods

meangreen

Reaction score
The 05s A/F ratio and fuel mapping need to be adjusted in the partial throttle area. Most tunes only adjust for WOT and the 05s don't autocorrect with the PCM especially if you have a large intake tube our if the MAF is repositioned in it. I'm running the new Air Raid race intake which is bigger in diameter than most...just kind of freaks out the car hah.

He is putting down those numbers and was tested several times...must have just been a good day at the factory.

meangreen

Reaction score
It does?!?! Lol

It just takes a bit more tuning some times then the mail order ones.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lol If you paid for a mail order tune and it was off you should have got them to correct it, I wouldnt have wasted all the time trying to do it on the dyno yourself. Plenty of good tuners out there who could have easily gotten it squared away for ya.

meangreen

Reaction score
I know I could have called Bama but I like getting my hands dirty and building my own stuff...that way I know exactly what's goon on when stuff breaks on the track hah

benjytps

forum member
Reaction score
Doug is a very capable tuner. If his tune is off by that far then there may be a vacuum leak or an underlying issue you need to find. Contact Bama and work with them on the tune, they have good customer service and good tuning skills.

meangreen

Reaction score
I got it now nooooo problems. Now I just need to figure out what my final goal is, rebuild my engine, and have some fun.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those keyboards always get my hands dirty, gotta get the GoJo Orange every time.

meangreen

Reaction score
Yeah it's not for everybody...but some people would still rather build than buy.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So how did you "adjust the tune" do you have access to the sct software or the prp package or did you just go in and mess with the basic timing and a/f trims on your handheld?

SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

forum member
Reaction score
The 05s A/F ratio and fuel mapping need to be adjusted in the partial throttle area. Most tunes only adjust for WOT and the 05s don't autocorrect with the PCM especially if you have a large intake tube our if the MAF is repositioned in it. I'm running the new Air Raid race intake which is bigger in diameter than most...just kind of freaks out the car hah.

He is putting down those numbers and was tested several times...must have just been a good day at the factory.
That doesn't sound like an 05 issue sounds like a general tune issue. Far as I know the PCM hardware itself is the same for all 05-09...probably 2010's too. Anytime you increase the MAF's diameter you'll need to adjust the tune. If you think the airaid is big you should check out the JLT 3 that thing is a monster.

meangreen

Reaction score
Yeah we have the SCT software and a dynojet. We've tuned allot of mustangs but it seems we always have more trouble with the 05s and we didn't have the data or pit file for the new air raid cai.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back