05 Mustang sway & swerve

ZwookY

Reaction score
What would make my car sway when hitting a small bump or changing lanes?
I have done a bunch of work but nothing has helped.
Front:
Shock/Strut assemblies (Monroe) , Lower Control Arms w/ ball joints (Moog), Inner Tie Rod Ends (Moog), Outer Tie Rod Ends (Moog), & Stabilizer Bar Links (Moog) Alignment done after all installation.
Rear:
Shocks (Monroe), Bumpstops? (bushings located on top axel)
All 4 rotors & calipers are new as well. Behavior isn't brakes as the car stays straight & there's not vibration when braking.
Could it be the rack & pinion?
Any ideas?
Thanks!

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As in the car jumps around when hitting bumps? The front wheels get squirrel and lose?

What's your alignment specs?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My rear end started doing this on the freeway and found that the 3rd link bushing was shot. I got a new one (BMR) along with a poly bushing for the pumpkin and it tightened everything back up.

ZwookY

Reaction score
Define what you mean by sway.
If I'm changing into the left lane the car quickly jerks left.
As in the car jumps around when hitting bumps? The front wheels get squirrel and lose?

What's your alignment specs?
Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yes, for a quick second.

Don't know my alignment specs. Just know I brought it in and they aligned it.

ZwookY

Reaction score
My rear end started doing this on the freeway and found that the 3rd link bushing was shot. I got a new one (BMR) along with a poly bushing for the pumpkin and it tightened everything back up.
Didn't consider that the rear could be causing the issue. Thanks, I'll examine the rear bushings.
Other than replacing the shocks I didn't do anything to the rear.

LaserMan

Reaction score
If I'm changing into the left lane the car quickly jerks left.

Does your car sway when you accelerate or decelerate? I found that the poly bushings in my rear lower control arms had failed. The sway got bad enough that it became a safety issue. I replaced with the GT-500 control arms and my car drives perfectly again.

ZwookY

Reaction score
Does your car sway when you accelerate or decelerate? I found that the poly bushings in my rear lower control arms had failed. The sway got bad enough that it became a safety issue. I replaced with the GT-500 control arms and my car drives perfectly again.
It happens when coasting or regular driving. I don't think acceleration/deceleration is a factor.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I had a wierd, somewhat similiar issue. Going over one specific bump on the highway, car would feel like it stepped sideways a little. The bump was across the lane.. Not sure what exactly fixed it, but it was fixed.
It almost felt like one strut or shock was weak causing it. I did replace all dampers. There was nothing lose suspension wise.
So, how many miles on your dampers?

ZwookY

Reaction score
So, how many miles on your dampers?
By "dampers", do you mean shocks? If so, probably around 2000 miles by now.
When they did my alignment, they didn't mention that anything was loose.
Your description is exactly what I am experiencing. Doesn't always happen, but it does often enough.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, by dampers, I meant front struts and rear shocks.
And Im not sure what actually fixed it for me. It never bothered me much, as it was just over that one bump. And now it does not do it anymore.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
you sure it's not just the feeling you get with a live axle going across a gap in the pavement?

on certain turns where there are gaps in the road, my car will "jump" to the outside when you go over the gaps. If anyone's been to Tampa ... Bayshore Blvd a little bit before downtown was always really bad for doing this.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
you sure it's not just the feeling you get with a live axle going across a gap in the pavement?

on certain turns where there are gaps in the road, my car will "jump" to the outside when you go over the gaps. If anyone's been to Tampa ... Bayshore Blvd a little bit before downtown was always really bad for doing this.

I am sure. It does not do it on that same bump anymore.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
sorry, question was meant for the OP.

Glad your issue got solved or it clearanced itself, lol
I went from v6 worn out suspension w/Aftermarket front/rear swaybars - to - Roush springs/struts/shocks, 8.8 rear, camber plates and EPAS swap.
Something out of that fixed it. lol. Still running the swaybars, Eibach kit IIRC.

ZwookY

Reaction score

I don't believe this is the issue as I'm the original owner and it hasn't been an issue for the first 15 years I've been driving it.

Back