06 gt transmission issue

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
hello i have a 06 gt and about a month ago I was driving on a highway and went to pass somebody and my car just rev up.. so i pulled over and started putting it in different gears to see what would happen.. well turns out if I am in reverse or drive the car will shift into gear but when I press the gas the car will just rev and rock forward and reverse.. but of i put it in 1st or 2nd it would move as if nothing were wrong.. so i pulled the trans and put all new clutches, bands, some seals, and a pressure switch in the pump.. i also put new screen gasket in the solinoid pack.. well now to today I got everything button up and the car moved in reverse once and now i am back to square one with the exact issues.. i did look at servos they looked fine i did replace the reverse servo tho but not intermediate and overdrive.. can anyone help? I'm in a real bad situation with no income and no car.. any help apritiated thanks

DieHarder

Reaction score
Here's a thread and video's/resources to take a look at...

Thread: https://www.s197forum.com/threads/transmission-being-not-so-happy-auto.137497/#post-2467145

Likely that you will have to look at the intermediate/overdrive servo bores and/or adjust the bands (easy, and you can try that first). For Band Adjustment See instructions on the thread above.

Servo bores are the most common failure on the 5R55s. There is a servo bore pin replacement kit you can buy for around $280 - $300 that is said to be a permanent fix (doesn't require tear down and said to last as long as any other fix). I haven't tried it myself but may given I'm coming up on 200K (06 GT as well) and getting into reverse is intermittent now and then. Watch the YouTube video half-way down the page. Good luck.

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
@DieHarder thank you for the information and ill try and adjusting the bands again first and see if that helps! I looked at the bore holes and they looked fine but I also don't have much experience with rebuilding transmissions so im not sure what to look for besides oblong holes
@RED09GT I put 8 qts in let the car run for 30min was at normal temp and I let the fluid come out the fill hole to a drip and put plug back in.. i would also like to say before I made sure the fluid was full i did try to move it and it moved in drive and reverse with some throttle.. but after filling it up to full its doing what it did before I replaced some things..

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
Ok so I just realized something I'm not sure if it means anything but when I put it into 1st 2nd or 3rd manually it shifts into that gear then has like a small bang into gear before it moves.. so it almost feels like it goes into gear twice

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I’m not as familiar with the 5r trans as the 4r but you have to remember when putting it into a manual gear you’re using a different circuit than drive. Also I believe the torque converter locks in manual gears so that would explain the feeling you get when applying the gas. My guess is valve body but like I said I’m no expert when it comes to the 5r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
@07gts197 so I have been told it could be that as well! I didn't change anything inside the valve body besides the balls (put new ones in that came with the kit).. is there any brass inside the valve body? I can't believe I forgot about mentioning this but I found 2 small peices of brass in the valve body area of the trans.. when rebuilding i found nothing on where it could of came from.. all the brass inserts I seen inside this trans were in good condition..

DieHarder

Reaction score
Hopefully readjusting the bands will help... If you replaced all of those steels/clutches/bands and pressure switch it kinda' sounds like you know your way around an auto transmission... though if you do happen to know an expert I would ask them to help diagnose what the issues are with your transmission. Do you have any codes? Hopefully you didn't have any parts left over...;D

My advice is to Watch videos relating to the 5R55S. It explains the problems with the bores; servo pressure issues and flaring which it sounds like the kind of problems you're experiencing. If bore sealing is the issue the Cheapest fix is the bore pin kit. It uses specially modified servo pins (w/sealing o-rings) and you can replace it without having to remove the entire transmission (you will have to drop the back somewhat to get them in however). Challenge is keeping pressure on them so they don't come back out after you press them in. If they do they'll cut the o-rings and you'll have to redo the operation after replacing the o-rings with new ones so get an extra set of o-rings (cheap) when you order the kit just in case. Check out the website of the company (mentioned in the video) who makes them and check out other YouTube videos who have used the kit. Most of those I've found have been about trucks but the transmission is the same.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Agree w/07gts comments and if you found brass you have to determine where it came from.

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
@DieHarder yes I had bought the book specifically for this trans so I had that as help! I have been wrenching for about 15 years but always been nervous on going into a trans.. i will even look into the bore sealing thing too because I honestly dont know if readjusting the bands will do anything. I did them to spec right before putting it in. . But its always worth a shot. I really appreciate all the help!

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
@DieHarder yes I looked to find anything inside the trans and found nothing.. i bought a rebuild kit that was the top kit at (trans part warehouse) and it didn't have any brass shims in it so idk if i missed a brass shim or something while rebuilding.. i have 0 extra parts so im lost on that unless there is brass in the valve body its self

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
@golkhl no I have not.. but do I have to have it a certain way when I put it on? I noticed it can rotate a little each way

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
That’s actually another good suggestion with the mlps as they can cause freewheeling, I commanded downshifts, etc. as well on the 4r. It should not move when bolted down.

But I would look into the brass you found. I don’t know what it could be from but since it’s there it’s an indication there’s an issue somewhere and it could’ve clogged the valve body causing some of or all of your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 99GT with the 4r70w, previous owner parked it with transmission failure. After a bit of research, I took a shot replacing the transmission range sensor first. It worked.

It can only be installed one way, but if you felt slop, take a shot and install a new one.

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
52EEA86E-80C9-44A3-9278-F717C4B4836C.jpeg
As for the brass you found, my guess is that it came from the transmission pump assembly. Did you rebuild or replace it when you rebuilt the trans?

Windvielblues197

Reaction score
So there was no brass missing from the pump when I took it apart and replaced the pressure valve.. and the electronic piece for the shifter is firm when tighted down but when loose it moves a little each way.. i think I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the valve body with a shift correction kit and maybe new or reman solinoid pack .. and i might even do the servo fix just cause as well..

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Did you scan for any codes?
I dont like that you say "it goes into gear if you give it some throttle". That tells me the clutches are slipping or line pressure is low.
Thats all I got, no first hand experience with that trans. But I have seen brass in auto trans pans. Could come from a thrust washer. Very small pieces are somewhat normal. Larger chunks would concern me.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Highly recommend the servo bore fix while you have it out. That should take care of the low pressure issues. Contact the company directly and tell them of your situation and ask for a discount. So much easier to do it right the first time vice over and over again. Good luck.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back