07 GT not making power?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If your using the stalk cams and intake your just about done gaining power around 6,000 rpm and will be down on torque and not pulling hard above that. Change the cams to something designed for 6,500 rpm or above if you want to play there. Shorter tires may help your 60 a little and let you wind a little tighter on the big end.

Jake Schmale

Reaction score
Are your downpipes separate all the way to the mufflers? An X-pipe crossover would definitely help scavenge exhaust gases at medium/higher rpm and equalize gas flow between the two cylinder banks.

Agree. Same goes for 3.55s to a lesser extent.
They are separate yes, dumped under the car with super 44’s. I can’t find a crossover pipe to use with these headers so I’ll have to get one made. They are blackheart 1-3/4 inch, but the collector is 3 inch which makes it hard to find a 3 inch crossover to match. The mufflers are really close to the floorboard so hopefully it’s not detecting a false knock and pulling timing. I’m going to datalog it at the track this coming Saturday and send it over to lito.

Doug Huggard

Reaction score
If your using the stalk cams and intake your just about done gaining power around 6,000 rpm and will be down on torque and not pulling hard above that. Change the cams to something designed for 6,500 rpm or above if you want to play there. Shorter tires may help your 60 a little and let you wind a little tighter on the big end.
I agree! I think some comp 127500's and 4.56 gears if you want to keep a 28" tall tire would do wonders

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
With a stock bottom end and heads I’d look at cams that keep the variable cam timing active and maybe even use the stock valve springs. Mother Thumpers, Hot Rods, and Detroit Rockers are three well known choices and there are a few others that will run 6,500 or a little more without locking the phasers.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You're thinking of NSR cams. You could also add the CompCams stage 2 (127200) to the list. Hot Rod and Detroit Rockers are probably the most popular and go well with 4.10 axle gears. Both make peak HP at ~6200rpm and you could set the rev limiter at ~6700 (just below the 6800rpm limit for stock valve springs).

Doug Huggard

Reaction score
With a stock bottom end and heads I’d look at cams that keep the variable cam timing active and maybe even use the stock valve springs. Mother Thumpers, Hot Rods, and Detroit Rockers are three well known choices and there are a few others that will run 6,500 or a little more without locking the phasers.
When I went from stock to hot rods back when my car was N/A, it was good for just under 2 tenths. They sound great though! I went from hot rods to comp 127550(plus limiters and 26125 springs) with my tvs and went 3 tenths quicker with the same pulley. I'm through an auto with shift points set around 7k and it pulls hard all the way there. I've had to do too many things twice lol, go through the extra work of valve springs now and you will be much happier with the result.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You're thinking of NSR cams. You could also add the CompCams stage 2 (127200) to the list. Hot Rod and Detroit Rockers are probably the most popular and go well with 4.10 axle gears. Both make peak HP at ~6200rpm and you could set the rev limiter at ~6700 (just below the 6800rpm limit for stock valve springs).
This is exactly what I am thinking. Stock externals have no business spinning much above 6,600 or so and selecting a cam (and spring set if required) from this group will net 20hp or more on the top end.

Doug Huggard

Reaction score
Been looking at the 550s myself but I think there’s a few 10ths in my suspension and driver I can capture before more cams and running.
What are you running for suspension? I'm running BMR front sway delete, anti roll bar, uca/lca and drag springs with viking crusader rear, strange front struts. Ran a 1.47 60' the other night.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
My suspension is mostly listed in my sig below each entry. I have removed the front sway bar completely. Struts are set full loose and I am running stock front springs and strut mounts. Rear shocks are set one turn from full hard. I have been using the lower hole on the upper control arm mount to see what it would do and the upper hole on the lower control arm mount. Best 60 is 1.56.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is really worth it to go with E85 with a stock compression N/A 3V.
You can only add so much timing before you end up with the peak cylinder pressure occurring too soon to be effective. I have my doubts that the charge cooling outweighs the lower energy of the E85with this case.

I'd try going back to gasoline until you at least do a cam swap or something else that increases cylinder pressure. These cars can tolerate a lot of timing with even 91 octane pump gas.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back