100k miles

tirefriar

Reaction score
My 2006 4.6 MT5 is about yo crest the 100k mile mark. Called and asked the service advisor at Galpin what service should be done at 100k. The reply was only an oil change since the car runs great and no MILs on dash. Car just passed smog 30 days ago, doubt the PCV will need replacement. Jury is out on coolant flush, heard from some in the industry that it's not a necessary procedure especially if the temp stays in normal range.

Got the OE filter, oil, drain plug at the local Ford dealer for the upcoming oil change. Any other service recommendedat 100k miles?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
ford recommends this for all of their cars at 100k

❑ Change engine oil and replace oil filter.
❑ Inspect tires for wear. Rotation recommended for optimal tire life.
❑ Inspect accessory drive belt(s).
❑ Replace spark plugs.
❑ Change Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (see exceptions page 46 and record page 48).
❑ Replace PCV valve (except 3V engine).
❑ Multi-point inspection (recommended)

Quite a bit of PM/inspection to do at 90k as well ...
❑ Inspect tires for wear and rotate.
❑ Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines & hoses, and parking brake system.
❑ Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise.
❑ Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.
❑ Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
❑ Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and, if equipped, half shafts, driveshaft and U-joints.
❑ Replace engine air filter (not required for Focus).
❑ Replace fuel filter (see page 47) (not required for Fusion, Milan & Zephyr).
❑ Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
❑ Change automatic transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with 4F50N or 4F27E. Inspect automatic transmission/transaxle fluid level on all other vehicles, if equipped with dipstick. Consult your dealer for your particular requirements.
❑ Replace climate-controlled seat filter if equipped (LS and Monterey).
❑ Replace climate-controlled seat cushion filter, if equipped (Zephyr).

It can all be found here .... https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/06frdmg3e.pdf

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
ford recommends this for all of their cars at 100k

❑ Inspect tires for wear. Rotation recommended for optimal tire life.
❑ Inspect accessory drive belt(s).
❑ Replace spark plugs.
❑ Change Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant (see exceptions page 46 and record page 48).
❑ Replace PCV valve (except 3V engine).

Quite a bit of PM/inspection to do at 90k as well ...
❑ Inspect tires for wear and rotate.
❑ Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines & hoses, and parking brake system.
❑ Inspect wheel ends for endplay and noise.
❑ Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.
❑ Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
❑ Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and, if equipped, half shafts, driveshaft and U-joints.
❑ Replace engine air filter (not required for Focus).
❑ Replace fuel filter (see page 47) (not required for Fusion, Milan & Zephyr).
❑ Replace cabin air filter, if equipped.
❑ Change automatic transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with 4F50N or 4F27E. Inspect automatic transmission/transaxle fluid level on all other vehicles, if equipped with dipstick. Consult your dealer for your particular requirements.
❑ Replace climate-controlled seat filter if equipped (LS and Monterey).
❑ Replace climate-controlled seat cushion filter, if equipped (Zephyr).

It can all be found here .... https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/06frdmg3e.pdf
This!

There is also another rule of thought. The Industry suggests fluid services every 30000 miles or so. Ford suggests 150K for transmission fluid. General rule is if you wait till 150K you are asking for a transmission rebuild.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I love that Ford says check transmission fluid, but my automatic GT has no dipstick! Which rocket scientist thought if this one...

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I love that Ford says check transmission fluid, but my automatic GT has no dipstick! Which rocket scientist thought if this one...

The dipstick was the Ford boffin who decided that the 5R55S tranny didn't need one. ;)
My car is also nearing 100k miles and I have a whole box of parts ready to go onto it including everything to update to the 07-10 cooling system, a set of new Motorcraft SP547 spark plugs, and a Lisle tool in case any of my old plugs break (they were changed at 60k miles by the PO).

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
I think the same moron went to work for Porsche/VW/Audi because my A4 has sealed CVT tranny too. ;(

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
This!

There is also another rule of thought. The Industry suggests fluid services every 30000 miles or so. Ford suggests 150K for transmission fluid. General rule is if you wait till 150K you are asking for a transmission rebuild.

THIS!!! Even though both fluids and trans/diff/engine rebuilds have both gone up 30-40% in recent years, still worth it (all day long, comparatively) to me on even $600-$1000 of cumulative extra/early fluid changes, over the cost of even just a diff rebuild (assuming paying shop to do it).

Odds you need it might be low, even with factory intervals, but those odds are not good enough for me. I want the odds that ridiculous overkill on fluid changes gets me (like it will have to be some fluky part made almost incorrectly at the factory for me to have an issue caused by wear from some fluid).

Laga

Reaction score
You get the trans to 80°F-100°F and remove the center fill bolt. If fluid comes out, you are good. If not, add until it does. Replace plug.

tirefriar

Reaction score
Wow, quite a bit of very useful info. Surprised that the service advisor at the dealer didn't know much besides the oil change. Dropped the oil yesterday, swapped the filter and drain plug.

The Salween has just a hair (few miles) under 100k. I'm at the crossroads of whether to keep or sell. It's been residing in the garage for the past year with just a few local outings.

If I can get over the mental block of 100k, then I will most likely keep it. Then will go through the items mentioned above as I keep all the hardware on the up and up....

GriffX

Reaction score
My diff fluid was black and had a burned odor after 30k and 10k later, the big pinion bearing was shot. But, a TSB was on the bearing, so don't know if connected.
My German cars destroyed itself after passing 100k.
In addition to the spark plugs I would measure the ignition coil resistances and if too low replace them.
And, probably replace the MAF? Thermostate? Check belt idler bearings (I replaced mine at 50k, two damaged).

PS: Eaton supercharger@Mercedes, Eaton says 50k oil inspection, Mercedes None, alle superchargers have bearing damage at 100k without.

Last edited:

Samos3

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with 100k. I bought my GT at 120k. Daily driver is at 210k after 7 years. If you don't drive it much, it should last forever. Besides, what does it cost to replace it if you sell it?

tirefriar

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with 100k. I bought my GT at 120k. Daily driver is at 210k after 7 years. If you don't drive it much, it should last forever. Besides, what does it cost to replace it if you sell it?

My daily drive is 30 mi each way mostly on a freeway with few curves. It wouldn't make any sense to beat up the Saleen as a DD. For weekend canyon runs I have several bikes I can choose from plus 2 track bikes for the track riding. If I sell the Saleen I doubt I'll try replacing it with anything right away. Anything I replace it with will meet the same fate, gather dust in the garage...

Samos3

Reaction score
Not suggesting to drive the Saleen that often, just that if you drive it occasionally the 100k mile mark doesn't really mean anything. I have had virtually no issues with the car. A heater blower motor problem, recent cooling system maintenance, and I replaced virtually all the suspension more than 60k ago.
So, with gentle use, yours should last a long time....long enough to rise in value?

tirefriar

Reaction score
Definitely change the coolant if it's never been changed. I had a little pitting around the oil filter adapter.

Some of the people in the industry said that flushing coolant for any other reason than a flush are not really going anything especially if using current coolants. It's not a big deal to do,just a thought...

whitmanink

Reaction score
you should flush old coolant (over 95k) ,,it breaks down and can do some funny things(can even cause it to become charged), not hard to do and a good way to make sure everything is in top shape

whitmanink

Reaction score
you dont need to do a crazy all out flush with a garden hose ,. just emptying the rad and overflow , than refilling with new and burping will yeild great results... for %100 clean, id opt for the rad to be taken out and a hose flush ,,,

Deathstang II

Reaction score
Generally you could put a rag into the check plug to check the condition of the fluid. If you cant get any fluid on it, you might wanna just flush it as its low anyways.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back