15" MT ET Street Radials w/17" M&H Skinnies

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
So after a whole lot of research (read through all the threads I could find) I believe I have settled on a wheel/tire combination for my 05 GT weekend toy. Vehicle will be driven on the street less than 500 miles a year and never in the rain. I am running GT 500 front brakes so my wheel choices for skinnies are very limited. Front has been lowered 1.25" and rear has been lowered 1.00". Rear sway bar has already been relocated. Wanted radial tires - no bias ply

• Race Star 17" x 4.5" w/2.25" backspacing - Front
  • Race Star 15" x 10" w/7.5" backspacing - Rear
  • Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial 295/55R15 or P325/50R15 (still haven't made the final decision yet) - Rear
  • M&H 185/55R17 Front Runners
Already spoke to both JDM & BBR and the difference between 28.0" rear tires and 26.0" front tires should not present any unwanted ABS light.

If anyone knows of a reason why this wheel/tire combination won't work or if any additional modifications will be required please chime in.

Last edited:

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That should work great and look awesome. I would try to steer to the 295 rear. The 325's on mine are fine but stick out a smidge. I am lowered allot more than that and I have no problems
1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Do you run that wheel/tire combination on the street as well? If so, what tire pressure? I see Race Star's website doesn't recommend the 17 x 4.5" wheels on the street. Not sure why.

Do your 15" x 10" rear wheels have 7.5" back spacing?

Ever have any issues with an ABS light?

Are you using open or closed end lugs?

Are you using stock wheel studs?

Last edited:

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
I just made a deal with a guy today on the 17in fronts. This is the exact combo I'm going for. Nickoli ,Your car looks perfect. Now I know I made the right choice.

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you run that wheel/tire combination on the street as well? If so, what tire pressure? I see Race Star's website doesn't recommend the 17 x 4.5" wheels on the street. Not sure why.
I run it on the street all the time. It is the only set of wheels I have. Just take it easy in curves and stay out of the rain. front I run what ever the tire says on the side, rear I run 22-25psi crusing around and 15psi on the track.
Do your 15" x 10" rear wheels have 7.5" back spacing?
yes
Ever have any issues with an ABS light?
I am running the aero space front brake kit and it dose not have the abs stuff so no matter what wheels I run I have the light.
Are you using open or closed end lugs?
I have open in the rear and closed in the front. my A-arms are shortened so my wheels tuck way under the car normally. I use a 1" spacer on the front to put them where they look right but on a stock car you do not need the spacer. In the rear the studs stick out the lugs but because of the spacer in the front I use a closed since the studs (even with longer studs) do not stick out.
Are you using stock wheel studs?
answered above but yes, I have all longer studs. I believe you don't need them with the race stars tho.

I recommend calling race star and talking to Mike. They are very nice and will set your mind at ease with any questions you have about the wheels.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Sorry to keep beating this dead horse but I have been told by some that when using the 325/50/15 tire on a wheel w/7.5" backspacing, there is a bracket on the inside of the fenderwell that must be removed. Can anyone confirm this? Here's a picture of the bracket I'm referring to
100_1443.jpg

GoFaster06

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep beating this dead horse but I have been told by some that when using the 325/50/15 tire on a wheel w/7.5" backspacing, there is a bracket on the inside of the fenderwell that must be removed. Can anyone confirm this? Here's a picture of the bracket I'm referring to
100_1443.jpg

Yes, that is the rear bumpstop(prevents rear tire from traveling too far up). The bumpstops will need to be grinded so tires will fit. I suggest you have them altered like I did. Shop cut off some so wheel would fit but bumpstop is still functional to prevent wheel from slamming into frame. Hope this helps.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I appreciate your post but I'm not referring to the bumpstop. If you had looked at my picture you would see the bumpstop has already been trimmed. I'm referring to the bracket spot welded to the side of the body in the center of the picture.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much space exists between the inside edge of the 325's and the closest item inside the wheel well?

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
I think the reason he is saying bump stop is because that is the landing pad for the bump stop..... That bracket sticks out the most in the middle where the hole is I believe... Haven't looked at mine in a while... All I done was knocked the tack welds off put the bracket in a band saw and cut almost the whole side of it out, then welded in a piece of steel for tue strength to still be there but it curve's inward rather then outward... Since the side of that bracket curve's outward, you can mark it and cut it out' then flip the piece you cut out around and tack it back in....

k_aimone

forum member
Reaction score
i have the 325's on mine and i did not need to cut off that bracket. i did install the adj panhard bar.

kencar082.jpg

kencar083.jpg

kencar094.jpg

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You will have to do something with it, I have Holeshots with the 325/50/15s and you can see where the sidewall rubs the bracket. I haven't figured out what I want to do yet, but I am thinking about going to a 295 tire.

rayS197

Reaction score
I appreciate your post but I'm not referring to the bumpstop. If you had looked at my picture you would see the bumpstop has already been trimmed. I'm referring to the bracket spot welded to the side of the body in the center of the picture.
According to Brenspeed and some others that bracket will have to be removed for the 325's and that was another reason why I went with 295's and the tire is shorter in height and no bracket to be removed. Jay those are your old fronts. . Thanks again.
DSCN2000.jpg

DSCN2010.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back