2005 mustang gt electrical problems

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
So everything in my car is fine but the moment I Rev or drive, my cars entire electrical system dies. Checking the battery voltage, I saw it reading 16 Volts. Could this be a regulator issue? Everything works fine until I start driving/revving. My guess was the alternator was dying but if the voltage is reading 16, it couldn't be that issue.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Its the alternator, theres a circuit breaker that trips when the current gets too high. Same thing happened on my 98 p71.

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm Ok I'll replace the alternator tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Thank you!

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
Ended up swapping my battery and that seemed to have fix the issue. I think the battery was the problem. It wasn't holding a proper charge causing the alternator to put out more voltage trying to charge it. This is my guess. I'm gonna run it for a while on the new battery and see if any issues arise

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
It was crazy. I revved the car and my battery meter when up past H on my dashboard. And when I hit 3k rpm, all the electronics turned off (radio, internal lights, headlights,, fog lights, rear brakes lights). I was so confused. I thought it'd be the alternator but couldn't understand why it'd overcharge but luckily a new battery fixed it. Hopefully that was all it was.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Overcharging is usually caused either by a faulty voltage regulator, or by a faulty alternator diode that's allowing an AC ripple current to leak to the positive battery post.
I hope a simple battery replacement solves your problem but I'd also be pleasantly surprised.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Did it store any DTC/OBD codes? Might want to check and/or take 'er in for an electrical diagnostic check, while it's still running.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Have you rechecked your voltage since the battery swap? 16v is high and might be why the other battery crapped out. You may have just temporarily put a bandaid on the problem (alternator).

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
So far everything has been okay. I suspect that my aftermarket HID kit might have been the culprit. I left them on for 2 more weeks and then the same issue arose again. Im just surprised they ran perfectly fine for 2 months and then started to crap out. I restored my headlights to normal ones and the car has been fine for a little while right now. Fingers crossed. Last battery had a bulge in it too probably from overcharging. Anyone have an aftermarket Hid kit on their car and experienced this

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
No codes were found Just said check charging system and all my electronics were bugging. I removed my hid kit, and I'm going to see if that was the potential issue

07 Boss

Reaction score
Replace the alternator. Replace it with a 2010 one too. I went through 4 alternators before swapping in a 2010 one. Haven’t had an issue since.

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the PA 200 amp alternator on AM. Seems like that fixes any power drain issues

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back