2005 mustang gt electrical problems

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by theRedStorm, Feb 10, 2019.

  1. theRedStorm

    theRedStorm forum member

    62
    0
    So everything in my car is fine but the moment I Rev or drive, my cars entire electrical system dies. Checking the battery voltage, I saw it reading 16 Volts. Could this be a regulator issue? Everything works fine until I start driving/revving. My guess was the alternator was dying but if the voltage is reading 16, it couldn't be that issue.
     
  2. 07gts197

    07gts197 forum member

    718
    25
    Its the alternator, theres a circuit breaker that trips when the current gets too high. Same thing happened on my 98 p71.
     
  3. theRedStorm

    theRedStorm forum member

    62
    0
    Hmm Ok I'll replace the alternator tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Thank you!
     
  4. theRedStorm

    theRedStorm forum member

    62
    0
    Ended up swapping my battery and that seemed to have fix the issue. I think the battery was the problem. It wasn't holding a proper charge causing the alternator to put out more voltage trying to charge it. This is my guess. I'm gonna run it for a while on the new battery and see if any issues arise
     
  5. 07gts197

    07gts197 forum member

    718
    25
    Hmm Ive never heard of that but if it fixes the issue thats all that matters.
     
  6. theRedStorm

    theRedStorm forum member

    62
    0
    It was crazy. I revved the car and my battery meter when up past H on my dashboard. And when I hit 3k rpm, all the electronics turned off (radio, internal lights, headlights,, fog lights, rear brakes lights). I was so confused. I thought it'd be the alternator but couldn't understand why it'd overcharge but luckily a new battery fixed it. Hopefully that was all it was.
     
  7. Dino Dino Bambino

    Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

    Age:
    55
    360
    24
    Overcharging is usually caused either by a faulty voltage regulator, or by a faulty alternator diode that's allowing an AC ripple current to leak to the positive battery post.
    I hope a simple battery replacement solves your problem but I'd also be pleasantly surprised.