2005 Mustang GT Gauge Issues

AboStangster

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not so new newbie.

I'll apologize up front because I know there are a bunch of discussions about Instrument Cluster repairs for 2005 to 2009 Stepper Motors, but soldering for me just doesn't come naturally and I don't want to ruin my gauges.

My GT TAC, Battery, Oil Temp and now sometimes Speedometer have gone bad.

I am wondering if anyone knows of good repair services in Canada, specifically the Ottawa, Ontario area. Shipping my cluster to the US for repair means not having access to my baby for at least a week and our summers are too short.

Thanks all,
Rick

Laga

Reaction score
It’s not hard. I replaced all the motors at once, and I had never soldered electronics before. Only plumbing. That means any electronic shop that does repairs can handle it. Google it and go to the closest. Done.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thank Juice. Me and my giant sausage fingers haven't had much luck with delicate soldering in the past.
Too bad you are so far away. I could do it for ya.
I bought a 140 mph cluster w/bad steppers. Cost me total of $60 for everything (cluster and motors)
It is a delicate job, I hate pulling the needles off. lol. And than you have to plug the cluster in to "zero" the motors, than install the needles.

AboStangster

Reaction score
I'll try buying the motors off of Amazon, take my time and hope for the best. What do I have to lose right? If they don't work, I can still send it out for repair.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try buying the motors off of Amazon, take my time and hope for the best. What do I have to lose right? If they don't work, I can still send it out for repair.
Unsoldering the old motors without damaging the pc board is the hardest part. You may want to order a solder sucker, its a spring loaded plunger tool. Or atleast get some solder wick. ;)

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just found a place on ebay and shipped them my cluster and they did it for me. I don't trust myself to not screw something up. It wasn't that much either.

AboStangster

Reaction score
Hey all,
We swapped them out on the weekend. My brother did 5 of them and I did the TAC. They all work great.
Like Juice said, if a guy with little feeling in his hands and with big sausage fingers can do it, anyone can. The key is not to go too hot with the iron and have the solder sucker.
It all worked out.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Rick

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back