2006 GT with Gen 1 Coyote Completed - a few ?'s

canadiancoyote

Reaction score
First off, I just want to say thanks to everyone else who has completed their Coyote swaps and posted detailed info about the swap. It definitely made my decision to swap a 5.0 into my 2006 GT a lot easier.

Anyways, I bought a low mileage 2014 F-150 5.0 from the wreckers, installed GT intake cams, Boss exhaust cams and springs, GT oil pump, and 2018 intake manifold. Managed to finish the swap over a period of about 3 weeks, picking away at it here and there. Took it for a drive last night with a crappy base tune, but man, I should've done this sooner. Previously my 4.6 3v had cams, intake, headers, etc etc but it doesn't come anywhere close to this engine.

I've run into a couple very minor issues that I'm having trouble figuring out - the car is a stickshift car, but after completing the swap, I noticed my o/d off light came on before startup, but then cleared when started. Ok, no big deal I thought, but now it's randomly coming on and off mostly at higher RPM and throttle angle. Weird.

Apparently the o/d off switch is an input to the PCM and the light is commanded on via canbus to the cluster. My car is a stickshift car so I don't know why this is even happening, or perhaps it's a tuning issue? It does it with the "stock" 2014 PCM tune too though.

Can't seem to find anything helpful in the wiring diagrams about this at all or in the diagnostic flowchart.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
So, your car was an auto before the swap?

If so, you have to get into the cluster options config with Forscan, and 'tell the cluster' car is now a stick shift. This should disable the OD light. Or hack it, take cluster apart and block off the OD light under the overlay. (duct tape works great, use 2 layers)

I had some oddities with my cluster. I used to get the gas cap light to come on when the fan kicked on. This was tune related, and has since disappeared lol.

Back to programming the cluster options. You cannot access the cluster anymore with the coyote pcm in the car. You MUST have the original 3v pcm on the CAN bus to be able to see the cluster in Forscan. But you only need the CAN and power wires to do this. I have not been able to access the cluster without the matching PCM. And I do no know which bits tell the cluster stick vs auto.

canadiancoyote

Reaction score
Nope, the car was always a stickshift car. Even the coyote PCM is supposedly from a stick car. If tuning doesn't fix it I'll probably open up the cluster to block it off. Other issue I'm having is the alternator light and a low voltage code. Alternator is charging at 14.8 volts at idle, no voltage drops across the ground and battery cables. Double checked all alternator wiring and it is correct. The battery's like 9 years old (but still tests ok) so maybe that has something to do with it lol.

Reaction score
Frank from PBH touched on this in one of his videos on YouTube. He said the O/D light is acting like it is some sort of shift light for fuel economy. I believe he said it can be turned off in the tune.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Dang, and I could not get the shiftlight to work!
Options on it are there in SCT, but no worky. lol
Just my gascap light coming on when the cooling fan comes on, used to anyway.

OvalSports

Reaction score
I stopped by PBH for a bit last week as we are running into a major Fuel control issue. I didn’t go into much regarding the gauge issues, but I did mention that we have the same Charging error message as well as a low fuel tank message. The fuel tank is topped off, and the charging system is working great. It looks like PBH is only marketing S197 for 2007-up swaps. Unfortunately I’m also reading that dual PCM’s maybe required. The PBH guys seem nice, but they don’t seem to fully understand the body harness issues. I am not happy with the price of the PBH harness since it is definitely not a plug & play set up for 05-06, and I am finding more modifications to the electrical systems are required to use it as we move along with troubleshooting.

If we resolve the charging system error issue, I’ll update on how. Please do the same.

Last edited:

mattjames

Reaction score
I stopped by PBH for a bit last week as we are running into a major Fuel control issue. I didn’t go into much regarding the gauge issues, but I did mention that we have the same Charging error message as well as a low fuel tank message. The fuel tank is topped off, and the charging system is working great. It looks like PBH is only marketing S197 for 2007-up swaps. Unfortunately I’m also reading that dual PCM’s maybe required. The PBH guys seem nice, but they don’t seem to fully understand the body harness issues. I am not happy with the price of the PBH harness since it is definitely not a plug & play set up for 05-06, and I am finding more modifications to the electrical systems are required to use it as we move along with troubleshooting.

If we resolve the charging system error issue, I’ll update on how. Please do the same.
I may be late to the party but I have since released a plug and play harness for ALL the 05-10 Mustangs. Has none of your mentioned issues.

www.make-it-modular.com

Back