2010 Turbo? 2011? or Shelby?

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score
A white (stripe deleted), black inside with white seat stripes, no option, '11 GT500. Discreet and innocent looking... That would be my choice.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
the new 5.0 will be pretty cool, i don't think more than 500rwhp will be available without a rod change, if the rods are indeed powdered which the 5.0 article says they are.

it will be easier to get it there, but cams will be more,

i've had an 08 gt500 that i went 11.17 with a pulley, cai and gears in

i've also had a procharged 06 gt that i went 11.9's in

the only car that will get to the 10's without building the motor is the gt500

not that i have to go 10's, but i like going fast,

i haven't done a turbo before, so it would be fun, of course that could be done on the 11, but then your spending the same money for the same rwhp, just less boost

ugggghh, i loved my high revving 99 shifting it at 7650 was the shiznit

Thats not true. There are plenty of stock bottom end GT's on here that run 10's. Just keep what you got and build it. From what you have spend on changing from car to car you could have a Ferrari or Lambo by now. Your going to take to much of a hit by trading your 2010 for a 2011. Besides if you really wanted the 5.0 by the time you build your motor on the 2010. Someone will have a built low compression 5.0 4V from the 2011's for sale.

bonestock_turbo05GT

Reaction score
rry to get off topic

'10 GT500. Love mine. The SC whine is addicting...and I love the fact that it's this fast out of the box, with a warranty! Mine's got no stripes, but it does have Shelby's name on it.
I have a BS on the sig.. Back in the day of the Vortech my car would cladder to no end on the Chevron fuel.. I would have to say Mobil is the top. (and I work for the refinary formaly known as Gulf/Cheveron in Pt. A) just my .02:hi:

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered it the way i'd want it lol, i order a lot of the stangs for the store

10gt500a.jpg
If this is the car then it's a no brainer. Just lose the lower body stripe. That combination is awesome.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a BS on the sig.. Back in the day of the Vortech my car would cladder to no end on the Chevron fuel.. I would have to say Mobil is the top. (and I work for the refinary formaly known as Gulf/Cheveron in Pt. A) just my .02:hi:
Really? Well I ran my 07 GT on nothing but Shell v-premium for the first 10,000 miles, and it started to ping like crazy due to the deposits. Then I met the guy whose name is on the patent for Techron, and he explained how it removes not only the deposits on the exhaust valves, but also in the combustoin chamber. Chevron would test cars driving them non-stop for thousands of miles (it was actually a job for a group of the reasearch guys at Chevron's ETC), some with the competitors fuel, and some with Chevron's fuel. They would take videa of the combustion chanbers and exhaust valves with a boroscope before and after. This is science, not hype.

The deposits in my engine, resulting from the Shell gas, were causing hot-spots that resulted in pre-ignition/detonation. After about 500 miles on Chevron's 93 Octane gas with techron (the 93 has more Techron than the 87 or 89), the detonation ceased to occur and I was able to return to an aggressive tune (and even nitrous).

Same situation with the 05 Z71 that I bought for my kid, which had 60,000 miles when I bought it. I don't know what fuel the previous owner used, but it pinged under WOT. A bottle of Techon additive and two tanks of Chevron gas later and the ping was gone...why? Because it had cleaned up the deposits in the combustion chamber.

Exxon (which is what Mobil is) and Shell wish they had a patented formula like Chevron's (their additives aren't patented, because there's nothing to patent). Likely your ping was due to another condition unrelated to the fuel. Or maybe you're sore because Chevron divested from your refinery, and you now work for a lesser company.

Lastly, I would suggest you do a little research. Manufctrurers like BMW and Mercedes Benz, that are building engines with high pressure piezo-electric direct fuel injection, recommend Chevron because of its cleasing and maintenance properties.

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score
BMW Recommends BP
Hey guys (and gals),

So I was reading up the 1 series manual yesterday, and I find an interesting comment, right in the manual, and says BMW recommends BP fuel. This is the first time I have ever seen a manufacturer actually have it in writing for a particular brand of gasoline. Is this printed just for the 2010? Do the 2008 or 2009 1er have the same recommendations on the manual?

The Ford manual also recommends BP.

h8imports

forum member
Reaction score
I use BP in just about all my cars. My stock bottom 88 coupe ran 6.80's on BP 93. I had H/C/I and a 175 shot. I never once had a problem with BP.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't know the newer BMWsrecommend BP; that's interesting. I don't have any data on BP, but for what it's worth, their corporate culture is much like Chevron's, and when trading LNG, they're the friendliest counterparty I have. The only experience I have is with Shell and Chevron, and my experience is as I've stated above.

I post that info in my sig for the benefit of the S197 brethren, nothing more, nothing less. Naturally, you're free to use whatever brand of fuel you're comfortable with. Happy motoring.

Last edited:

grayghost01gt

Mustang Junkie
Reaction score
I'd say Shelby if you have the dough, that GT500 in the pic above looks like the one lethal performance has same color combo I love it! But if it came down to the 10 or the 11 I would keep the 10 Turbo it, because the 5.0 will be awesome no doubt but let the 11 buyers get the bugs worked out first! Thats just me!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back