2011 has 110,000 miles. Would like to refresh the suspension.

Judge Holden

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My GT has 110,000 miles and I am pretty happy with the performance as is. I know this is blasphemous, but I actually would like it to be a little more comfortable since the only thing I find lacking is the breaking. if you were going to refresh the supension to renew ride quality what would you do? What parts need replacement? I asked my mechanic and he said the stock shocks and struts were still good. I've just noted it feels like it is harsh in the bumps. I asked the original owner and he said it was always stiff but it has, of course, degraded over time. Bushings?

Anyway, if you wanted to restore factory ride quality (or better) what would you do?

Hey, bonus question. I have the stock 2011 GT wheels and I kind of like them too. Will any of the factory brake kits fit under those wheels? I believe they are 18x8

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
At 110k miles I'll pretty much guarantee the shocks and struts need to be replaced. Just because they're not leaking doesn't mean they're not worn out. I'd replace them with a quality set up then see how the car rides and go from there. That's not to say it couldn't use new bushings, but they might still be ok. Since you're worried about the ride I'd stay from poly and delrin.

06GT-Red

Reaction score
I recently replaced original springs, Panhard bar, and strut mounts with FRPP parts in my 06 GT with 116K miles. My goals were lowering and handling improvement, which were achieved. General improvement in ride quality was obtained as a bonus. My original dampeners worked just fine before my modifications. Inspection of the dampeners revealed no evidence of problems, so I did not replace them. I have several hundred miles on my suspension modifications now and could not be more pleased.

Mackitude

Reaction score
A set of progressive rate springs, while you're in there replacing shocks, struts, and strut mounts, will do wonders for your ride comfort and get you a little lower. My FRPP's with Koni orange and GT500 strut mounts got rid of the front suspension rebound clunk.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Every step I have taken away from stock has made my car ride like shit and make noise, handling is better.

Clunking, banging, crashing. The RHS steeda strut mount did not have a deep enough groove for the thrust bearing so I think it pops and moves. I informed steeda, and they said, "geez, that's nice."

I will repair it myself, of course.

Back