2012 Boss without matched numbers?

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
Alright guys i am completely confused right now
I finally went out and bought a new Mustang. I bought a really nice 2012 Boss 302, race red w/ black stripes. Its awesome, but i bought it in texas...and i stop just to rest and look over the owners kit that came with it. Heres my utter confusion: the number on the key chain and certificate don't match the number on everything else. So i check the vin, the vin on my dash, and intake manifold all match. But the Boss # does not. Does this sound like some kind of factory freak Boss with mismatched numbers? Or am i not getting something? WTF?

Edit: Looking back, I just now realized I never posted the outcome of this. I contacted Ford Racing, they told me that they had indeed sent the wrong owner's kit with the car when it was sold to the first owner. They were really cool about it and sent me the actual owner's kit. I wonder how many bosses had off numbered owners kits.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious, the guy on the line grabbed the wrong intake. I wonder how many of them are one off?

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
Well i guess my biggest question is...does this make the car worth more, or less? Or what? Its now not a completely matching Boss...i dont know how i feel about this!

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well i guess my biggest question is...does this make the car worth more, or less? Or what? Its now not a completely matching Boss...i dont know how i feel about this!

You'd have to wait 30+ years to find out. Enjoy your sweet car man.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You could contact Ford and see what info they might have. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
really, im the first to post this?
ok...
PICS OR GTFO!!!!!!!!

grats on the new car

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
Is there a way to post pics from a phone? Im still in tx, finishing the trip tomorrow.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
This is the second time I have heard of this. The first one was on Boss Mustangs Online, I forget what number it was but it was a 2012.

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
You'd have to wait 30+ years to find out. Enjoy your sweet car man.

this, it seems like everyone and their brother are buying new boss/ gt500 cars cause theyre someday going to sell them and retire. that plan doesnt work when soo many other people are doing the exact same thing.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Here ya go boys...we're friends on FB =)
2012 Boss 302 with 11k miles

969693_10201045389114307_1608453519_n.jpg

pwd72s

forum member
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious, the guy on the line grabbed the wrong intake. I wonder how many of them are one off?

Probably many of them. The question would be which was the first to be one off? Wouldn't all following that first one also be one off?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I think it shouldn't matter, because you shouldn't buy a BOSS as an investment.

You should race the piss out of it.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Well there are also Boss' that were built out of sequence such as looking at the Vin number you would expect it to be #2400 but it is instead #5706. From what I have seen the LS fall pretty much in line with Vin and production number though.

pwd72s

forum member
Reaction score
I think it shouldn't matter, because you shouldn't buy a BOSS as an investment.

You should race the piss out of it.

Shouldn't buy any car as an investment. Some will post cars they consider exceptions to this, but such cars are few and far between.
Besides, there is the costs of maintaining such a car over the decades, often not factored in.

If you want to invest there are better ways...

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'd take out the front license plate holder, it was a crime to drill holes in there !!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Most likely less. The only way it can really add value from a collector standpoint, is if you have documentation from Ford showing it was a mistake at time of production. Without that, it just raises questions, and collectors don't like unanswered questions.

About 8 years ago I owned a '70 Boss 302 Cougar Eliminator (very rare car), and it didn't have the staggered rear shocks that all Boss cars got. While I was trying to sell the car, that was a turn off for a lot of people because it left a big unanswered question in their minds. The car was all original, and unrestored, so the only guess was it was just built wrong on the assembly line. This didn't add any value to even a rare collector like a Boss Cougar.

this, it seems like everyone and their brother are buying new boss/ gt500 cars cause they're someday going to sell them and retire. that plan doesn't work when soo many other people are doing the exact same thing.

Just like the '94 Pace Car Mustang. Everyone put them up as collectors, now at any point you can find a very low mile Pace Car for sale, and you can't give them away.

The only way to "invest" in a car (IMO) is to keep it in "wrapper" condition with near zero miles, stored in a climate controlled environment, and maintain all its original documentation. Then wait 30 years or more and hope you picked a desirable combination. Even then, when you add up the cost of the car, plus the cost of storage and maintenance, minus inflation, it's a tough win.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only way to "invest" in a car (IMO) is to keep it in "wrapper" condition with near zero miles, stored in a climate controlled environment, and maintain all its original documentation. Then wait 30 years or more and hope you picked a desirable combination. Even then, when you add up the cost of the car, plus the cost of storage and maintenance, minus inflation, it's a tough win.

The ZR-1 guys found that didn't pan out. Once a lot of guys play that game, the rarity factor goes out the window.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back