2013 Functioning style on a 2005

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Here is the post I put on HIDPlanet:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my first post on these forums. I've been reading for a long time and just recently registered on here.
After seeing everyone"s projects, I've finally got an idea in my head that I like to do for my car. I think the idea is straight forward.
It's basically a 2013-like taillight setup in a 2005-09 stock housing. Here is the 2013 mustang taillight design and function:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42c-TtokFc4

It has sequentials, but has functional halo rings to accent it. The outer halos stay lit the whole time I think when the headlights turn on (or all the time if DRLs), the centers led cluster inside the halo rings only light up under braking and turning (sequencing effect).

Mustang guys have sequential splice in harnesses available for PnP LED tower replacements and regular bulbs too. However I'm not sure how to wire it (resistors and etc) to make it function with those harnesses. I figure the halo could be wired into the headlight switch I dunno. Basically it seems that I should have normal brake light and turn functions (on and off) and no halo with headlights off. Then the same as when headlight on except just the halos turn on. I'm lost, but I really like to get into this.

I'm thinking 6 boards (with a few rows of standard LEDS) and 6 shaped boards in the shape of square rings (aac style SMD LEDS setup).

Here is a photoshop mockup I made:
halotaillights.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

They are being very helpful and I'm going to try to do a DIY and post up wiring diagrams once I and some of the guys helping me come up with one.

Opinions?

BTW, using stock housing and len. No aftermarket crap. This is going to be a true LED retrofit.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
That looks like a nice project. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. I like how you are also using the stock lens. Will make for a cleaner install once completed.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I've always thought our tail lights were a great retro shape and I wouldn't trade it for anything; but the I never like the internal design. Its 3 deep chrome box in one box with nothing going on in there. I love OEM LED tail lights on cars and love the sequential effect.......but they seem to never go hand to hand like I like. I'm not satisfied with PnP LED tower like AM has, and the new LED lamps like the ones shown below doesn't have the enough LEDs and internals I like:

ford-mustang-05-redsmk-led-taillights-big.jpg

^not to mention just looking at makes me feel the quality is lacking.

I like to duplicate the illumunation of the 2013, but still have the look of the 05-09 when off with a little design depth to the internal housing.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Jinx, my only variance to your picture is I would have the two outer lights go all the way to the bottom. Looks off to me with it only going down as far as the reverse lights. Heck, to me it would really look kick ass if you did the halo's around the bottom of the reverse lights as well... my $0.02

No matter what you decide to do... I'm subscribed!

halotaillightscopy.jpg

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Only problem is fitting into the light buckets. The lens flattens to the housing in the areas you added. I'm going to try to see if AACstyle can make the halos from some shape templates. So actual rings will be used. I wish I could use that idea. But doing so would most likely take away from the OEM housing look and be hard to duplicate. I like my DIY to be repeatable from my project if someone wished to do it.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
I really like your design! Hopin that everything goes good...if it does, I have an extra set of tail lights that've been hanging around for something like this!!

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Only problem is fitting into the light buckets. The lens flattens to the housing in the areas you added. I'm going to try to see if AACstyle can make the halos from some shape templates. So actual rings will be used. I wish I could use that idea. But doing so would most likely take away from the OEM housing look and be hard to duplicate. I like my DIY to be repeatable from my project if someone wished to do it.

Agreed, thought about the reflectors after posting... Definitely excited to see how it comes out! I love the idea of the 2013 lights but don't like that they go in for the centers, if it was flat I think it would be some of the best looking lights on the market. Based on that if you can pull this off with our tail lights you will be my hero!

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Well if thats the case maybe I need to make a few more after the trial run then.

kgrun4

forum member
Reaction score
These would look bad ass, much better than the ones I've seen to date that try to imitate the 2013 style

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Question...the center LEDs, can they be ones that'll do both red and white, like the new ones? When normal driving they're off, or maybe dim red. When turning or stopping they're bright red with sequential. But when in reverse they can be white, so you get a significantly righter back up light. Just an idea... :)

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
It would be nice, but the limitation would be the factory electronics. After reading up on sequential LEDS using a full board instead a cheap LED tower with a resistor, may require a controller in itself. But what you ask isn't that bad.

The way I figure........The halo's in the taillight will be wired as DRLs or with the parking lamps. The actual board face with center LEDs will function like a car with sequentials. Somewhere inside of the red cluster, a white led line could be done if wired independent from the reds and to the reverse light. The only draw back would be the red lens making the light pink and reducing the intensity the reds could put out if they were a solid cluster. Interesting idea. It could be explored depending type of LED I choose to use.

Right now, I'm thinking superflux LEDS. 4 columns of 10 for the center, and an ass load of smd leds on circuit board for the halo.

Contemplating vacuum forming bezels for the housings so the halos seat flush and so it won't look like someone just threw shit into a stock housing without any thought to it.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
It would be nice, but the limitation would be the factory electronics. After reading up on sequential LEDS using a full board instead a cheap LED tower with a resistor, may require a controller in itself. But what you ask isn't that bad.

The way I figure........The halo's in the taillight will be wired as DRLs or with the parking lamps. The actual board face with center LEDs will function like a car with sequentials. Somewhere inside of the red cluster, a white led line could be done if wired independent from the reds and to the reverse light. The only draw back would be the red lens making the light pink and reducing the intensity the reds could put out if they were a solid cluster. Interesting idea. It could be explored depending type of LED I choose to use.

Right now, I'm thinking superflux LEDS. 4 columns of 10 for the center, and an ass load of smd leds on circuit board for the halo.

Contemplating vacuum forming bezels for the housings so the halos seat flush and so it won't look like someone just threw shit into a stock housing without any thought to it.

Still stoked to see the pictures as you start on this!!! Is there any way to use a clear LED that can have multiple colors? Don't know if they make such a thing but that may solve the problem if they do. Of course it would be a pain to wire it up as the same LED's would be working off two sets of wires?

Back