2013 GT, O2 monitors not coming on. Will a Dyno Tune help?

Cory Babcock

Reaction score
I lived in NY for a few years with my 2013 GT. Only mods I know of are intake and Borla cat back with X pipe. I moved to VA and started getting the bank 1 code on a semi regular basis. Being that I'm moving back to NY where they will actually check the OBD II for inspection I started looking into it further. One thing I changed was the fuel I was buying. What I was buying did not post the ethanol content, but was significantly cheaper than any other 91 octane rating. Upon a little research I found that some gas stations actually mix in methanol to replace the ethanol because it is cheaper. Problem is that gasoline, ethanol, and methanol all bur at different rates/Temps which could affect O2 sensor readings. The other thing I did was use spark plug nonfoulers on the downstream O2 sensors. YouTube it. It's a "trick" to pull the sensors out of the stream and it seems to do the job. After installing the nonfoulers I drove almost 1000 miles and the check engine light still hasn't come back on. For less than $20 it seems to have done the trick. Watching live data while driving the before and after was evident. The sensors before would get way out of whack rolling off throttle and in between shifts. After the instalation the sensors stayed within range, even though they still get wonky rolling off throttle.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I lived in NY for a few years with my 2013 GT. Only mods I know of are intake and Borla cat back with X pipe. I moved to VA and started getting the bank 1 code on a semi regular basis. Being that I'm moving back to NY where they will actually check the OBD II for inspection I started looking into it further. One thing I changed was the fuel I was buying. What I was buying did not post the ethanol content, but was significantly cheaper than any other 91 octane rating. Upon a little research I found that some gas stations actually mix in methanol to replace the ethanol because it is cheaper. Problem is that gasoline, ethanol, and methanol all bur at different rates/Temps which could affect O2 sensor readings. The other thing I did was use spark plug nonfoulers on the downstream O2 sensors. YouTube it. It's a "trick" to pull the sensors out of the stream and it seems to do the job. After installing the nonfoulers I drove almost 1000 miles and the check engine light still hasn't come back on. For less than $20 it seems to have done the trick. Watching live data while driving the before and after was evident. The sensors before would get way out of whack rolling off throttle and in between shifts. After the instalation the sensors stayed within range, even though they still get wonky rolling off throttle.

Pretty certain that NY scans OBD for inspection.
Having no cats fails the visual inspection.
Having the non-foulers on there fails visual inspection.
Having a non certified CAI fails visual inspection.

Getting a bank 1 code, sounds like there is an issue with bank 1.
Live data is useful, but what the inspection is looking at is the emission monitors complete or not.

Generally, most states allow 1 monitor to be 'incomplete', as long as the other 7 are complete, AND there is no CEL, AND you pass the visual inspection, you PASS.

Cory Babcock

Reaction score
I've not had a visual inspection in almost 10 years of being in the state. It may vary from town to town or county to county. As long as they don't pull codes I've not been anywhere that digged deeper. Just my experience with that

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back