2013 mustang gt- Catalyst l, O2 sensor and heated O2 NOT READY

Discussion in '2011+ Mustang GT 5.0L Tech' started by tealsnk, Oct 18, 2018.

1. tealsnk

tealsnk Junior Member

I purchased my 2013 mustang gt usted last year, it came with bolt-ons already. It had a boss intake manifold jlt cold air intake, SW catted long tube headers and MBRP catted x pipe with full exhaust. It had a BAMA tune and came with the tuner. This is the first year it's getting emissions testing and it failed. Catalyst, O2 and heated O2 were not ready. I've followed the drive cycles several times and several miles and obd 2 scanner still shows as incomplete. I contacted the people at BAMA and explained what was going on. They recommended a new tune to ensure that those sensors are ON. I installed and still no luck. Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of taking it to a local tuner at this point. The people at Bama weren't very helpful after I told I still had the same problem. Just told me to keep driving it. Thanks. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Macman45

Macman45 Resident Geriatric

Sounds like you have the handheld tuner. I'm unsure about the BOSS intake, but the rest of your mods shouldn't be a problem to return the vehicle to STOCK (No Bama) tune or anybodies tune) and see if the O2s come on for READY. I bet they do. Then go pass SMOG and put the tune back on

3. Gabe

Gabe Whippled Coyote

Last year I had the same issue on my Whippled '13 .... ended up putting about 3,000 miles on the car while trying different tune revisions.

emission_readiness_20170714.jpg

Ended up going for a drive with my tuner, he was datalogging as I was driving. Did another revision, I think he changed fuel trims, and later that day after about 70 miles of mixed driving, the car went fully ready:

emission_readiness_20170801b.jpg

4. tealsnk

tealsnk Junior Member

I was thinking of doing that, not sure if running stock tune would hurt it though with the mods I have.

5. tealsnk

tealsnk Junior Member

I've been thinking of either going with a local tuner or Lund Racing, I've been driving the car all over the place trying to get the monitors ready and following the drive cycles too.

6. Gabe

Gabe Whippled Coyote

Yeah I did that too. Like I said above, I put over 3,000 miles on the car trying to get stuff ready. Nothing worked until datalogging with the tuner guy in the car

tealsnk likes this.
  7. tealsnk

tealsnk Junior Member

Wow, that's a lot miles. So you ended up going with a local tuner. I'm debating between a local dyno tune or going with Lund Racing for an emailed tune.

8. Grabber Blue 5.0

Grabber Blue 5.0 forum member

I sold my 2011 because I couldn't get my o2 sensors to come up ready. Couldn't register the car because it wouldn't pass emissions. I had several tunes including Lund. All with the sensors turned on WITH cats. The longtubes are one of your problems since the cats are now moved further downstream.

9. Grabber Blue 5.0

Grabber Blue 5.0 forum member

Yea no. You can't run a JLT intake and longtubes on a stock tune never mind the Boss Intake.

10. Eedd

Eedd Junior Member

I spoke to Brenspeed and they said, O2 sensors don't heat up quick enough at relocated collector position they may spit out a code. This was happening to me and occurred in the spring and fall when outside temps were lower than summer. They sent me a new tune to handle this.

11. Mojo88

Mojo88 Junior Member

I am in RI and went through similar BS last year when I bought my Roush.

If the monitors are turned off in the tune (it sounds like they are), then they will NEVER go 'ready'. This may seem obvious to most people, but the first Mustang shop (a place where they ONLY work on Mustangs) I went to last year, the guy hooks up his meter and says the monitors are showing 'not ready' and I need to do "drive cycles". So I did about 300 miles worth of PITA "drive cycles", then went back to the guy. He says, "monitors still not ready, keep driving". Well, this guy (who works on Mustangs ONLY) could not seem to figure out that the monitors were TURNED OFF in the tune and I could have driven a million miles and they would not have gone 'ready'.

Immensely frustrated, and now getting very nervous about passing the stinkin' State Emissions BS, I gave up on that guy and asked around for a Mustang tuner 'guru', and I found Pete at Performance Dyno in New Hampshire. I called him and he calmed me down. I made an appt with Pete, he tuned the car with a new "emissions" tune (saving the original 'power tune' on a SCT handheld), and then I did a couple of drive cycles of about 30 miles total and all monitors came 'ready'. I passed emissions with flying colors. and I got my sticker. I then used the SCT to reload the power tune and all is good.

So, IMHO, you need to find a good tuner that you can drive (or trailer) your car to. The first 'tuner' that I went to was absolutely worthless to me, so be careful. Good luck!!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    tealsnk, Eedd and Gabe like this.