O2 sensors/ Heaters not ready

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
2013 Mustang GT automatic, in early September my car was ready for NJ inspection. I failed for 02 sensors and heaters not ready. At that time my car had PMAS 120 mm CAI, dyno tuned, and Pipes X pipe (factory cats are there and untouched). I went back to my tuner and he did adjust the 02 sensor settings. He put them back to stock settings. Did about 8 cold starts and 250 miles, they are not set.

I went back, we set everything to stock, air box and tune. 350 miles about 10 cold starts and monitors are still not set. Only thing on the car is the Pipes X pipe. I did have a mild leak and I got it sealed up and 2 cold starts since then and 70 miles. Still not ready. I do not have the factory H pipe anymore but doubt that is it? The other monitors set in 1 cold start and 10 minutes of driving.

Do I still need more miles?

I have done 4 times the Ford O2 sensor set test, 4 minutes of 40 mph (no brake/ no cruise control) then rev engine to 4800 RPMs for at least 10 seconds.

Am grasping at straws. Any help/ suggestions will be helpfull.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
2013 Mustang GT automatic, in early September my car was ready for NJ inspection. I failed for 02 sensors and heaters not ready. At that time my car had PMAS 120 mm CAI, dyno tuned, and Pipes X pipe (factory cats are there and untouched). I went back to my tuner and he did adjust the 02 sensor settings. He put them back to stock settings. Did about 8 cold starts and 250 miles, they are not set.

I went back, we set everything to stock, air box and tune. 350 miles about 10 cold starts and monitors are still not set. Only thing on the car is the Pipes X pipe. I did have a mild leak and I got it sealed up and 2 cold starts since then and 70 miles. Still not ready. I do not have the factory H pipe anymore but doubt that is it? The other monitors set in 1 cold start and 10 minutes of driving.

Do I still need more miles?

I have done 4 times the Ford O2 sensor set test, 4 minutes of 40 mph (no brake/ no cruise control) then rev engine to 4800 RPMs for at least 10 seconds.

Am grasping at straws. Any help/ suggestions will be helpfull.
You might check in the Onboard Component Monitor (the Mode 6 data) w\ a scan tool that can access this data, find the O2 sensor test results & see if all your sensors passed the PCM monitor checks. If your IM Readiness checks on the O2 sensors are showing not ready then there shouldn't be any PCM O2 sensor check tests result data stored (both WB's & both NB's). If you find data there (you shouldn't as you've had your tune reflashed a couple of times which should erase all previous data stored in PCM) showing that they have passed PCM checks but the IM Readiness is showing that they are not set then there is something amiss within the PCM\tune as once the PCM performs this O2 sensor check test (as well as all the other components that are required to pass an emissions test) & all pass the PCM should right then & there set them in the IM Readiness as passed.

If you don't find this O2 sensor check test results data in Onboard Component Monitor then this is the reason why you're getting the "not ready" as either the PCM hasn't ran the check tests yet or the check tests function has somehow gotten disabled within the PCM.

This is what I can think of off the top of my head to look into at the moment.

Hope this helps.

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I tuned my ECU, and ran 450+ miles and they were still not ready. It has to be
a specific drive cycle. Turn the car ignition on, and wait 15 seconds. If the check
engine light blinks, it's not ready. If it does not blink, then you may have a sensor
related issue, or failure, wiring issue...

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have read on HP tuners that you need to drive at 40-45 mph for 5+ miles with a steady throttle. I have not been able to test this "drive cycle". If you do, let me know if it worked.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I tuned my ECU, and ran 450+ miles and they were still not ready. It has to be
a specific drive cycle. Turn the car ignition on, and wait 15 seconds. If the check
engine light blinks, it's not ready. If it does not blink, then you may have a sensor
related issue, or failure, wiring issue...
Yes the OBDII drive cycle for Fords has to be performed in a specific manner...…...
The quickest way to do 1 of these is to map out a specific route that will have you performing all the necessary monitor check steps just by normal driving & contrary to some beliefs, using cruise control w\ some of these monitor checks is 1 of the fastest ways to successfully complete an OBDII drive cycle as the MPH needs to be held steady & if you read the procedure below there is nothing posted that says CC can't be used during an OBDII drive cycle.
Some of these monitor checks are temp specific (ECT & IAT in particular) & will need to be met before the PCM will run them which, depending on the climate, may necessitate running the drive cycle at a specific time day/night to meet the IAT requirements for the monitor(s) that require this to run.

Here is a copy of the Ford approved OBDII drive cycle procedure provided below to help the OP if desired.
Note the HUEGO monitor is the O2 sensor monitor check test procedure. All OBDII drive cycle monitor check test results (whether passed or failed) is stored in PCM & are accessed thru Onboard Component Monitor (Mode 6 data) using a scan tool that can access it...…..

Attachments

• drivecycleford.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! I will be crossing 400 miles today on it.

Am going to read the attachment and see if am doing something wrong!

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I jumped too soon making this tread, fortunately I came back from lunch today my car has 430 miles since starting this and finally both o2 monitors set! I was just in a panic as I had till 10/31 to get fixed or can start being fined and would have thought as many cold start and miles on it they should be set being stock!

I am printing out that drive cycle to keep for 2 years from now going through the same thing!

Thank you everyone!!

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Glad you got it all sorted out.

FYI...this is the reason why an OBDII drive cycle needs to be performed in a specific procedure in order to complete in a timely fashion cause if you don't fully complete a specific component test, the PCM will start it over including all the necessary parameters that need to be satisfied just for the test to begin again.

This is why it took so long to fully complete.

By following the testing procedures as outlined in attachment you can complete all these tests & certify OBDII in as little as 30-50 mi or 20-30 mins if you plan a route that will specifically facilitate all the required test procedures of all the necessary components for OBDII certification in addition to any specific conditions that need to be met vehicle wise....like having your gas tank level between 1/4 F to 3/4 F (faster if level is closest to but under 3/4 F as there is less area for fuel vapor to raise\lower EVAP pressures during test), the IAT is between 40*F-100*F (sometimes better to run at dawn, dusk or night than day) & using CC to hold MPH steady between 45-65 for the 10 mins it takes for the EVAP test to complete so you want to do the EVAP test on a straight & open stretch of road w\o stop signs or intersections that cause you to move the MPH outside of the test speed zone before the time counts down or you'll have to start it over from scratch.

I say this from experience as I've been there, done that several times using the exact OBDII test procedure info attached.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to save that message too so if it happens again I will try to do everything in order next time so gets done in a much easier/ faster fashion.

M-Stv54

Reaction score
Hey Guys what was the final results on what to do ? I have ALL Data at work and in the Ford manual for my 2014 Mustang GT it says to cruise 48 to 65 mph for greater than 5 min which information covers 2010 to present models, 2009 and back says 40 mph for 5 minutes both to execute the HO2S monitors.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back