3.73 or 3.55 gears

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
If you're going to open it up to fix it and don't really care for a drastic difference in acceleration, then I say go with the 3.73's. Now with that said, I wish I would have installed my 4.10's sooner. I had them since last August but just got around to having them put in a few weeks ago.

I missed that part in the OP, my mistake.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
If you're going to open it up to fix it and don't really care for a drastic difference in acceleration, then I say go with the 3.73's. Now with that said, I wish I would have installed my 4.10's sooner. I had them since last August but just got around to having them put in a few weeks ago.

The gas mileage with my car has always been terrible, even when stock. The best I ever got out of it was 23 mpg on a three hour trip from Austin back to my hometown. I average around 16-17 mpg after the gear install on the highway. Before the gears I was averaging 18 mpg on the highway with 3.55's doing ~70-75.

Cool I think I'm leaning towards the 3.73's. I just remembered the Bullitts come with 3.73 and no one complains about those

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
Cool I think I'm leaning towards the 3.73's. I just remembered the Bullitts come with 3.73 and no one complains about those

What everyone else doesnt complain about isnt what you want. Go with your gut. If you try a 4.10 first you wont regret but suppose im wrong its the easiest to sell. Would be sold in a day on here!

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
IMO it all depends on how high you rev the car. People say 4:10s on a 28" because the tire knocks it back down around a 3:90s and an n/a will utilize a higher redline of @ 6800 to really use that gear. On a 26" tire the 4:10s might be juuuuust a bit much if you aren't twisting it high enough and running out of gear in 4th at the track.

I've had 2:73 mustangs, 3:73 mustangs, 4:10 mustangs etc. It has ALL been power level and redline dependant. For instance my 6200rpm 400whp sn95 the 3:73s i had by the time it was blown, really needed dropped to a 3:55 or pick up a taller tire. 123mph ish and I was OUT. My 4v car shifting at 7000 has 3:73s and it wasn't near enough.

The 3v I have now (3:55s) has been stock and blown, then interocooled with more boltons. No intermediate mods. It's a centri car and really could benifit from a touch more gear BUT I went to a taller tire with the GT500s. I get 24.5mpg on the highway with an average of 20-21. Getting a good tune is PARAMOUNT. The taller gear with the taller tire has also been harder on the clutch and 1st seems tall. On a true 26" tire street car I'd think the 3:73s woult be a good happy medium of giving it that LITTLE extra without being geared to death. Sure a 4:10 will will feel faster but shifting at 6k you won't be carrying the speed and you'll be shifting more.

Just depends on your plans and how you use it. I obviously dont rock a 28" tire on the street so 4:10s might be deep to me on a 26". That said an n/a car with a raised redline would be more FUN albeilt potentially slower with 4:10s on a 26".

$.02

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
Personally I want to MT-82 swap my 3v...like BAD. The short gearing and the broad tq curve are what make the 5.0s so special. Even 3:31s in a 6spd car are like a 4:30 or so in a 5spd 3v.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
What everyone else doesnt complain about isnt what you want. Go with your gut. If you try a 4.10 first you wont regret but suppose im wrong its the easiest to sell. Would be sold in a day on here!

Sorry, what I meant was that no one complains about the noise. As far as selling the 4.10s goes, I'd still be out the cost of labor, a couple hundred $$$ (once to install the 4.10s, again to put the 3.73s). I'm handy with a wrench but have no experience with differentials and I'm afraid I'd mess it up. The most experience I've had with wrenching on drivetrains is helping my dad change the clutch in our '90 Bronco when I was 12.

IMO it all depends on how high you rev the car. People say 4:10s on a 28" because the tire knocks it back down around a 3:90s and an n/a will utilize a higher redline of @ 6800 to really use that gear. On a 26" tire the 4:10s might be juuuuust a bit much if you aren't twisting it high enough and running out of gear in 4th at the track.

I've had 2:73 mustangs, 3:73 mustangs, 4:10 mustangs etc. It has ALL been power level and redline dependant. For instance my 6200rpm 400whp sn95 the 3:73s i had by the time it was blown, really needed dropped to a 3:55 or pick up a taller tire. 123mph ish and I was OUT. My 4v car shifting at 7000 has 3:73s and it wasn't near enough.

The 3v I have now (3:55s) has been stock and blown, then interocooled with more boltons. No intermediate mods. It's a centri car and really could benifit from a touch more gear BUT I went to a taller tire with the GT500s. I get 24.5mpg on the highway with an average of 20-21. Getting a good tune is PARAMOUNT. The taller gear with the taller tire has also been harder on the clutch and 1st seems tall. On a true 26" tire street car I'd think the 3:73s woult be a good happy medium of giving it that LITTLE extra without being geared to death. Sure a 4:10 will will feel faster but shifting at 6k you won't be carrying the speed and you'll be shifting more.

Just depends on your plans and how you use it. I obviously dont rock a 28" tire on the street so 4:10s might be deep to me on a 26". That said an n/a car with a raised redline would be more FUN albeilt potentially slower with 4:10s on a 26".

$.02

Great advice. I used to hit 5k twice or thrice a week when the car was new but since it's been getting older I've been only hitting 5k (averaging) once every two weeks. I don't rev the crap out of much anymore and wince whenever I take it over 3.5k now because I know it's not a fresh engine anymore. I don't think 4.10's are for me.

Personally I want to MT-82 swap my 3v...like BAD. The short gearing and the broad tq curve are what make the 5.0s so special. Even 3:31s in a 6spd car are like a 4:30 or so in a 5spd 3v.

Believe me if I had the cash and the resources, there would be a 5.0 under my hood. That kinda horsepower with factory reliability (and livability and efficiency)... well I don't regret getting my 06 for a second. But I do wish the Coyote had come out 5 years sooner.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 3.73's. Thanks guys

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back