3.73s worth it?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
My 07 gt came with 3.55s from the factory and I think its a great overall gear. I dont want to have to shift too soon and lose top speed (although its not like I top it out) and would like a bit more acceleration. Im thinking 4.10s would be too much for what Im after but 3.73s are too close to 3.55s to feel much of a difference. Thoughts?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4.10s IMO

proven to be a great choice countless times this question has been asked. Don't fear the gear

search the site - dozens of these threads

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Thoughts? Hmmmmmm......ok. The bearded clam is the hunted prey of the one eyed trouser snake.

With regard to gearing? Agree, go 4.10's minimum if you're staying N/A. The 4.6 3v likes gear. You'll hate yourself in the morning if you put 373's in that car, pay the money and then drive it.

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
Another vote for 4.10s.

Love them, and they are staying in my car after the blower install next week.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
If you're staying NA then 4.10's is a no-brainer, even if you add some modest boost 4.10's are still a great gear. I even have a very low mileage (maybe 1,000 miles or so) used set of 4.10's I'd be willing to sell for $100 if you're interested, in not far from you in Cape Coral.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you intend on staying N/A, go with 4:10's. IMO you won't notice much difference if any at all by making the switch from 3:55 to 3:73. If however, you're running a blower? I wouldn't run any higher than 3:73. For my particular application, I run a Saleen VI blower with 4:10 gear ratio and I'm seriously debating on putting my stock 3:55 gears back in due to losing top end speed. At any rate, just my opinion.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Wow I did not expect this much input thanks guys. It looks like 4.10s are in my future! I just paid the car off but Id like to save up for a while before I do anything so its staying na for a while anyway.

Swflastang, that sounds good to me!

travelers

Reaction score
IIRC Others on here had problem with the 3:90s getting setup right. You can do a search here.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Wow I did not expect this much input thanks guys. It looks like 4.10s are in my future! I just paid the car off but Id like to save up for a while before I do anything so its staying na for a while anyway.

Swflastang, that sounds good to me!

PM me if you want to set it up sometime,

dre256

forum member
Reaction score

Only issue I have with 3.90 is you can't get them from Ford Racing (Ford Performance). Aftermarket gears can make noise sometimes.

I also agree I don't think you will notice a difference between 3.55 to 3.73.

07 Boss

Reaction score
IIRC Others on here had problem with the 3:90s getting setup right. You can do a search here.

Gear ratio has nothing to do with installing or setting up gears. Manufacture quality or the actual install might, but definitely not the gear ratio.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Only issue I have with 3.90 is you can't get them from Ford Racing (Ford Performance). Aftermarket gears can make noise sometimes.

I also agree I don't think you will notice a difference between 3.55 to 3.73.

All gears can make noise when improperly installed. Yes a poorly manufactured set May make noise, just go with a good name brand. I've used Richmond gears on both the stock traction loc and my current Auburn Pro with no issues.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
All gears can make noise when improperly installed. Yes a poorly manufactured set May make noise, just go with a good name brand. I've used Richmond gears on both the stock traction loc and my current Auburn Pro with no issues.

I'm a fan of Richmond as well. I would have done a set of 3.90's myself, but a buddy gave me a brand new set of FRPP 3.73's he had bought and went another route with his build. The 3.73's and D1SC were beautiful together on the street.

As far as setup, I usually do my own gears. The hard part for me is that damn crush sleeve. I really hate having to take the diff back out. It's a PITA! lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back