4.0 to 3.7 V6 swap

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I was at "Cruising The Coast" last week so no work on the Mustang. But I am back at it. I got the entire harness, BJB, everything wiring related removed from the 07.
Image - Copy (51).jpeg
Image - Copy (55).jpeg
Image - Copy (52).jpeg
Image - Copy (54).jpeg
Image - Copy (58).jpeg
Image - Copy (50).jpeg

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Nice work. It looks like you've prepared the blank canvas ready to paint your own masterpiece. The '07 has an impressively clean and rust-free bodyshell.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Nice work. It looks like you've prepared the blank canvas ready to paint your own masterpiece. The '07 has an impressively clean and rust-free bodyshell.
thank you, it was a Southern car we bought used but it was only a couple years old. We have tried to keep it nice. If the engine hadn't blown up I would have just kept driving it as is. It still has less than 100K miles (on the body). My wife drove it to work and the kids borrowed it once in a while. Now it becomes a bit of a toy!

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I was able to get the 2012 in the Garage for a a few days. I am going to try and get it all apart so I can put my 67 back in the garage. I wish I had a shop but greatful I at least have a two car garage!
I did get the exhaust off, now to pull drive shaft, shifter, etc. etc.
Image - Copy (66).jpeg
Image - Copy (67).jpeg

Reaction score
I think this is the first 4.0 to 3.7 swap I’ve seen that went this in depth! Kudos to you for documenting everything so well! I hope you enjoy it and it’s worth all the effort once it’s all back together! I’m putting parts together for a 5.0 swap in an 08 s197 at the moment so I understand the want for a newer powertrain in an older chassis!

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I got the shifter and the gas tank out this morning before work. I'll try to pull engine and trans tonight or maybe tomorrow!
Image - Copy (69).jpeg
Image - Copy (72).jpeg

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
I think this is the first 4.0 to 3.7 swap I’ve seen that went this in depth! Kudos to you for documenting everything so well! I hope you enjoy it and it’s worth all the effort once it’s all back together! I’m putting parts together for a 5.0 swap in an 08 s197 at the moment so I understand the want for a newer powertrain in an older chassis!
Thanks,
I know it's not typical to use the V6 but it's just gonna be a daily driver, I already have toys with more power. I figured the 07 wasn't worth much with blown engine and just couldn't bring myself to put another 4.0 in there. The wrecked 2012 was cheap. It will be a lot of work but I think it will be cool/different! I must admit while I have them both torn down the Coyote option is tempting! I have to keep my goal on target!

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
While I did easily get the 4.0 out of the 07 from the top (without the trans), the 3.7/MT82 didn't cooperate as much. The oil pan caught on the K member while the trans hit the tunnel. I had to take out the eight bolts holding the K member while the body was on stands. I dropped the K member enough to get the engine and trans out. It helped that I had cut away the damaged radiator support with a sawzall. So all this means I will most likely have to install the 3.7/MT82 on the K member from underneath into the 07.
I'm going to change the water pump and clutch while it's out. I also want to upgrade the shifter to a MGW. I also plan to clean everything really well.
Image - Copy (73).jpeg

JimC

Reaction score
what is the crank relearn process and how do I do it?
You can use a tuner like the SCT to do the process, or if you aren't going to put a tune on the car the dealer can do it relatively cheaply.

When you separate the engine and transmission you have to teach the computer again where the crank is, otherwise you will trigger codes and have misfires. Left too long you can damage the engine - I lost a piston when it wasn't done on an engine replacement on my 2013.

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
You can use a tuner like the SCT to do the process, or if you aren't going to put a tune on the car the dealer can do it relatively cheaply.

When you separate the engine and transmission you have to teach the computer again where the crank is, otherwise you will trigger codes and have misfires. Left too long you can damage the engine - I lost a piston when it wasn't done on an engine replacement on my 2013.
good to know! thanks! I was thinking about doing a tune. I'm a bit old school, my 67 still has a carb! This electronic stuff is new to me...

TARA-fied1

Reaction score
Just about got the entire harness out. This has been a bigger challenge than I anticipated but taking it slow, lots of documentation, labels and pics to keep track of it all!
Image - Copy (80).jpeg
Image - Copy (78).jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back