460 s197 wiring questions

Discussion in 'Hardcore Tech=*MOTOR SWAPS*' started by M7w7j7, Jan 21, 2019.

1. M7w7j7

M7w7j7 Junior Member

So i took the leap and decided to put a 460 in my s197 and ditch the 3v. My question is do any body have the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster i would like to try and make the stock gauges work with the big block. I have found the ones for the oil pressure sensor and the fuel level but thats it.

big block s197.jpg

BEAST likes this.
  2. RocketcarX

RocketcarX 95% of my weight is fuel

I have a theory for how to make the tach work
    The tach in a 3v car is driven by the crank sensor if I'm not mistaken, so you could get a dual sync distributor and tie the "crank" output from the dual sync to the crank sensor input it should drive the tach.
    The speedo can be made to work a couple of different ways.
    I think you could get the factory computer to run the engine if you set it up right. I've spent some time figuring out how to make it work with w 351, I'm pretty sure it would work.
    My name is Casey Marino, I've commented on your FB posts about this swap

M7w7j7 likes this.
  3. Juice

Juice forum member

Most of the guages in the cluster work off the can bus. So they should work IF you use the stock PCM to run the 460. Clearly, this will require a custom tune.

I know the following use the can bus: speedo/odo, water temp, tach, charge indicator light, CEL, and probably the volt meter if equipped.

You will likely need to deal with some other lights in the cluster, especially if you do not use the stock pcm.

M7w7j7 likes this.
  4. M7w7j7

M7w7j7 Junior Member

by saying using the stock pcm you mean take in the signals from the sensors and have the pcm transmit the info to the cluster also was gonna use the stock starting wires im not gonna use the stock pcm to control the motor though not till next year when i switch it to efi for now its just gonna be carbed with nitrous

5. M7w7j7

M7w7j7 Junior Member

i also have hp tuners so i should be able to turn off most of the lights i dont want

6. Juice

Juice forum member

Yes, fuel injection using the stock pcm. And that will be a challange.

7. assasinator

assasinator 1000hp turbo 4v