5.0 replacement engine? Will an F-150 5.0 work?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Trying to find a cheaper solution to a Mustang 5.0 engine with a hole in the block. Will an f-150 5.0 fit? Will it run? Will I run into any issues swapping one in? From what I've read, the intake cam is the only difference, but not sure about the block itself or any of the other timing equipment.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
compression is lower as well, pistons different

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
So given that intake cams, oil pan, compression and intake are different, would it work? Sounds like it might need to be tuned in order to run 100%, but will it actually run?

Oil pan and intake are no big deal. Are the motor mount bolts in the same location?

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
looking around, looks like the front cover and exhaust manifolds are different too (you could just use the ones from the blown motor) Heads and block are supposed to be the same.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
The oil pan, plugs, heads, are NOT different. The only difference in the intake is the color.

I've done full teardowns. They don't have the windage tray, different intake cams, different pistons, smaller oil pump, different front cover/belt routing. Block/crank/heads/rods are exactly the same parts as in a Mustang.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
The oil pan, plugs, heads, are NOT different. The only difference in the intake is the color.

I've done full teardowns. They don't have the windage tray, different intake cams, different pistons, smaller oil pump, different front cover/belt routing. Block/crank/heads/rods are exactly the same parts as in a Mustang.

Awesome thanks. Fuck it, guess we'll take a gamble and try it out. Worst case is im out $2,000. Best case I save $2000 and know what to do next time.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't see the problem with doing so. They're both 5.0 engines. What's the difference? If its disclosed to the buyer then I don't see a problem.

Swap the oil pump and cams, if they survived.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I don't see the problem with doing so. They're both 5.0 engines. What's the difference? If its disclosed to the buyer then I don't see a problem.

I agree. If the buyer knows it is a truck motor I don't see why it should matter.

mitchell20501

forum member
Reaction score
Hell naw man, swap it. There's a truck driver that comes in to my plant that put one in his 95. Anyway, that's what he clams. I also don't see the problem of the performance. I can boost anything. The last thing I did before the mustang was turbo a Inline5 in a Chevy Colorado.
Swap it and let us know how it turns out. I come to the forum to learn not talk shit. And hope I can answer others questions when they arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I'd put a truck engine in it too. I would at least put the Mustang intake cams, oil pump since the chains are going to already be off to do the cams, the windage tray is part of the oil pan gasket so that's an easy swap and the pan would already be off for the front cover/cam swap. At that point the only difference between the 2 engines is half a point of compression. Is that worth saving a couple thousand dollars? I think so.

5tangiac.0

forum member
Reaction score
Google search it. There's lots that have swapped the f150 5.0 into sn95, new edge, fox bodies. I know 2 guys local that have done it. 1 into a 13' after he blew the original and 1 into a fox body. I would think most realize the engine basically is the same. Why on earth would it not work? Side note the guy with the 13' did not swap cams and said he thought it was holding him back on power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It would be great if we could clear out these useless posts.

I ordered an engine from a 2011 F-150 for $2,000 from LKQ. Should have it sometime this coming week. Probably won't get to put it in until next weekend since I'll most likely be out of town for work.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It would be great if we could clear out these useless posts.

I ordered an engine from a 2011 F-150 for $2,000 from LKQ. Should have it sometime this coming week. Probably won't get to put it in until next weekend since I'll most likely be out of town for work.

Thread is cleaned. Everyone try to stay on topic.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Engine is in and running. Running rough though since I don't have an air intake for it yet. I borrowed the one from this car for another one and haven't gotten a new one in yet. Should have it done in the next few days.

Everything was identical. Oil pan is same, wiring harness plugs in. Oil filter housing is different, but its just a few bolts and swap it out. Motor mounts are different, but the bolt holes are the same.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Good deal man, did you end up swapping cams or anything?
What about the front accessory drive, all the same?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Good deal man, did you end up swapping cams or anything?
What about the front accessory drive, all the same?

Sorry forgot to mention, timing cover is different as well. We just swapped that over as well. We took the cams out and discovered the cams from the GT were completely torn up. We also found a broken cam follower, not sure if that's what caused the engine failure or if it was a result of it. We ended up leaving the f-150 cams in for now since I needed the car off the lift. If we have any problems we'll swap them out.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
As long as the car is retuned for the current engine/mod combo, it should run great. I doubt it will run at full potential without a retune.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Just an update for anyone who cares. Engine is in and running. Using the complete F-150 engine everything went in just as the engine that came out of it. Everything plugs in and works just as it should. The ONLY thing I've noticed is that the idle is slightly choppier than the stock Mustang engine. It idles smooth and pulls strong. Again, that is just swapping in the junk yard engine with the timing cover and oil filter housing from the Mustang. No tune or any other changes. No lights or codes so far!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back