5.4 3v swap into s197?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone do this before?

Been thinking about it, But not sure if the aftermarket is big on it or what can be used from the 4.6 3v aftermarket.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I considered it at one time. Ended up going with a Big Bore Boss instead. A 3v 5.4 isn't going to net you a whole lot. It will slow how fast the motor revs. It will allow for less air per volume into to the combustion chamber per stroke. It will give you a little more torque. It would shine with a turbo but that would necessitate a built motor.

You will need a F150 intake manifold and the exhaust will need some tweaking. Everything else should plug right in. I can't think of a good reason for it the effort involved but there aren't good reasons for most of what we do.

Is there a long range goal in mind or are you just thinking of economical ways to increase power? Maybe a little boredom mixed in with the above? I ask because I'm fairly certain that something along the lines of a DOB supercharger kit would be comparable in cost and give you a whole lot more power. That is if you are looking for suggestions.

If you decide to do it let us know how it works out and make a thread on the swap. It would be interesting.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Was just looking into for a possibility/seen if done and #'s. But will be doing do the DOB kit, seems like too much for very little. I also like the quicker rev. If it netted a good amount would have done it lol.

Thanks BruceH

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
A few people have done the 3V 5.4 swap, most were a long long time ago (Flapjack's, Kuro's etc). Many made videos on Youtube, search that too. The big issue is the intake manifold. The options are to stick with the very-restrictive long runner F150 intake or pay for a custom sheet metal manifold. In every case I can recall, they went with custom.

IMO, it isn't worth the trouble if you aren't going to modify the hell out of it (meaning, a stock F150 5.4 isn't going to out-perform a 4.6). The 4.6 is lighter and provides a lot of ways to make easy power. Swaps are easy in this chassis, but I always find a thing or 2 that need fabrication (intake, headers, etc).

Last edited:

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
DOB doesn't make a intake for a 5.4.
he says it would be easy for him to make one. but he needs 20 orders to make it worth it for him.
i myself wish he would make one. put his intake on a 5.8 alloy gt500 block. you would make really good power without spinning the motor 7000 rpm. the bottom end would be much better than a boss block.

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Kuro! did a 5.4 swap on his V6 and made a pretty detailed thread about from what I remember, but that had to be like 4 or 5 years ago. There are plenty of threads if you search for them. Although I don't know why you would go from a 4.6 to a 5.4 3V. If you want the extra CI, just get a Big Bore block.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kuro! did a 5.4 swap on his V6 and made a pretty detailed thread about from what I remember, but that had to be like 4 or 5 years ago. There are plenty of threads if you search for them. Although I don't know why you would go from a 4.6 to a 5.4 3V. If you want the extra CI, just get a Big Bore block.

wasn't his swap to a 5.4L 4V?

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
What about a coyote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the way to go, but man it's such a pricey swap. Salvage engines haven't dropped a dime since the Coyote came out. And then there's all the details you have to do to make it work.

Sent from iPhone

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
That's the way to go, but man it's such a pricey swap. Salvage engines haven't dropped a dime since the Coyote came out. And then there's all the details you have to do to make it work.

Sent from iPhone

Can't be much different from a 5.4, maybe get a donor for the swap. Leave you plenty of parts to sell and comp you for the price

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

Sent from iPhone

It cracks me up how many people say "Coyote Swap!!!!" but when do you ever see it done? It's a PITA and expensive.

I think I can recall all the Yote swaps I have seen done on one hand.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
It cracks me up how many people say "Coyote Swap!!!!" but when do you ever see it done? It's a PITA and expensive.

I think I can recall all the Yote swaps I have seen done on one hand.

right, but it would leave op with many more aftermarket choices

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Can't be much different from a 5.4, maybe get a donor for the swap. Leave you plenty of parts to sell and comp you for the price

Nah you can get a salvage 07-08 with a 5.4 for $3500-5000. Maybe cheaper with a little more mileage. Then it will sit right in and most electronics will connect, Gauges work, etc.

Coyote on the other hand, even a high mileage donor, your looking at $7-8k plus a whole host of add'l expenses. Probably 15k total to finish and you've still just got a 400+ hp mustang. Just saying.

Check out Dillan at BMR. I believe he is in the middle of one right now, or just finished. He made have a build thread on here. Can't for the life of me remember is screen name on here.

Sent from iPhone

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back