598 CID in a S197???

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, I need to win the damn lottery!!!! Talk about a fun ride down the 1320.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Haha I understand. Windsor would be much cheaper to build though. You could build a 460 yourself honestly, and there's an easy $1500-2k in that serpentine set up. Lots of places to shave cost.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i would love to have a windsor motor in my s197.....what are guys doing to make the factory instrumentation work?

anyone know if any links for s197's with windsor conversions?

cale aronson

Pro Stock Racer
Reaction score
That is something that can be done, but needs to be done by someone with the right knowledge to do it. We can do it, but it is not super cheap. You have to change a lot on the motor mounts, tranny, etc.... As for factory instruments, you can keep them or upgrade them to a better piece, but will ditch the factory ECU if you stay with EFI and swap it for a new computer. Or you can put a carb on it and have it super responsive....

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cale

your feed back is appreciate. Can you either post or PM a ball park on what kind of money we are talking about to get something like that done please.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cale

your feed back is appreciate. Can you either post or PM a ball park on what kind of money we are talking about to get something like that done please.

X2. I have always said that when I pull the mod motor, I am going old school, pushrod V8 Ford 385 series motor (460 to 550+cid). This is my next set up. Seriously.

cale aronson

Pro Stock Racer
Reaction score
I sent him a PM...

But let me say this. This is something that can be done somewhat afforably, but the things that add up are the options and some of the little things. The engine is of course one of the largest expenses. Transmission is fairly easy, as you are going to relocate the engine anyways and can match it with a new bellhousing and setup.

If this is something that interests you, please feel free to give me a call. I have a lot of options, and it all depends on what you want to do... like how much power, how well do you want the car to hook up, etc...

I really like this type of setup.... as it is completely Old and New school!

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of that engine and it's not much more than a complete mod motor build. By time I part out all the 3 valve stuff, I would have a good headstart since I need a built trans too.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
^ you have the same thinking I do. You could even keep some parts for down the road if you wanted, but prices will come down and better parts come out for the 3v in years to come. A Windsor swap would be what interests me though....

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Let me give you guys an idea of how easy and affordable the big block engine can be. Dad's Thunderbird weighs 2950 with him (160 lbs) in the car. We use an .080" 429 SCJ block (4.440" bore) with an offset ground stock 460 cast crank (4.140") to get 512". The crank is turned down to BBC rod journal size so we can use an off-the-shelf Eagle 6.800" h-beam rod and an SRP flat top piston. With a stock block/crank and machine work we can build these for under $3000. With a set of Blue Thunder heads (not anywhere near as good as the CJ or the Kaase P-51) that are bowl-ported, an off the shelf Comp .750" roller cam, Victor intake, 1150 Dominator, and 2" headers we have gone as quick as 8.94 at 149 mph. This is with a 'glide, 4.11 gear, 29.5 x 11.5 slicks, and ladder bars with a mini-tub. Stock chassis too. This thing is basic and dead reliable. He leaves on the transbrake at 4000 rpm and shifts at 6500 rpm. Been in the car for five seasons with over 500 runs and still shows a 96 percent seal on the leakdown. Now....change the heads (and pistons to match) to Kaase P-51 and this car is an 8.60 / 155 mph ride. Add up the cost of a fully forged 4.6 with ported heads and a blower or turbo system and you are about $2000 more than an intake-to-pan 512" engine similar to Dad's setup with a set of P-51 heads. You can use an aftermarket Eliminator block and forged crank for some added insurance but it really is not necessary. Kaase did a 466" engine with his P-51 heads and a street roller cam that made over 700 hp. Never went past 7000 rpm either.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely think the power of any combo is in the cylinder head and camshaft. There is some real interesting reading here in the links below.

It looks like the P51 heads are actually very affordable for what you get. $2450 for completely assembled heads for up to an .800 lift hydraulic roller. The Boss9 heads are quite a bit more at $4150 for the pair. But damn they are nice.

The most shocking thing about all of this, is the Boss9 (with the semihemispherical head) is 29 inches wide, which is (from what I can tell) about 1/2 inch NARROWER then our 281!!

The P51 head flows 401cfm on the intake @ .700 and 251cfm exhaust @ .700. Nice.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.co...e-products/188-kaase-p-51-cylinder-heads.html

I didn't see any flow numbers for the Boss9, but look at the pics at the bottom of this link:

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=219

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
man this is something I really need to think about! could be my answer to a 9 second ride and having room for the kids!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back