5r55 trans options?

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I've fought buying an auto for a long time but auto in a turbo car means no boost drop or missed shifts. How much can the stock 5r55 hold with a converter? Anybody running a stock internals 5r55 making 700+? Any personal experiences of when they kinda drop off and don't hold power anymore? Also, I have the 3650 now, how much for the swap from manual to auto, and does it have to be manual valve body? Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
Plenty of threads on here if you searched for it, go with a 4r70w. the 5r cant handle much over 550.

07 Boss

Reaction score
The guys at Shelby Motorsports wouldn't put my car on the rollers for tuning with the manual HO Whipple kit. They said the tranny wouldn't hold. I was told anything over 450 at the wheels was pushing it. Instead of getting the auto Whipple kit, I went and got a level 10 tranny.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Talked to a guy about a built 3650. I really don't have the money for a high dollar tremec and trying to find a used good one is hard to come by. I think my best bet is just getting that built 3650 and taking it a little easier. If some time goes by and it's just not cutting it I'll go buy a magnum xl or 6060 swap it but I just do not have that kinda money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
So the Level Ten 1000hp capable 5r55 is not a good option?

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
So the Level Ten 1000hp capable 5r55 is not a good option?

I am sure it would hold 1000 hp as long as you are only at 450 tq. The 5R just does not have it to be a big HP trans. I am at roughly 550/500 and every pass at the track i expect it to blow.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I ran a stock 5r55s for 4 years on boost up to 554rwhp was the orginal 2006 trans. Went to 630rwhp and it lasted 1 day at the track, would skip second and never go into 4th under wot. Put in a Level 10 trans in late Oct of 14 and got 4 runs, so far so good but it's been a real pain tuning in the trans. I think a 4R70W with a transbrake would be preferred by most, it will just take more time and money. 700+rwhp on stock or built 5R55S internals is a nice garage corner conversation piece

Last edited:

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I have seen several post from Jim at JDM running a built 5r55 with a good converter with 690whp. Mid 9's at 3900lbs race weight for a long time. Lucky? Seems to be like most ANYTHING when you read all the forums about a specific mod...Some have fantastic luck and other say it will not work. Now I have no idea of his tq or what power adder he was using. I would think a centri blower would be slightly easier on the trans??

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've fought buying an auto for a long time but auto in a turbo car means no boost drop or missed shifts. How much can the stock 5r55 hold with a converter? Anybody running a stock internals 5r55 making 700+? Any personal experiences of when they kinda drop off and don't hold power anymore? Also, I have the 3650 now, how much for the swap from manual to auto, and does it have to be manual valve body? Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions.
Coly,

Just a suggestion for you on the 5R55s transmissions.

Call Brenspeed or JDM they both have lots and lots of experience on that transmission.
They have both raced Mustangs with that tranny for years before they moved on to the 5.0 Coyote with the 6-speed trans.
Brenspeed converted my 08 Bullitt Mustang to the 5R55s TCI Super Street Fighter with the Circle-D converter back in late 2011.
(The Bullitt came with a 5-Speed Manual tranny)

Here are the links to that conversion.
It will give you some idea of what takes place.
Last major Up-Date are these Posts
Oct. 2011

I have had no issues at all with the conversion.
I don't have a garage queen ..........
It has 53,000 miles on it and has also been raced many times on drag strips over the years.
If you want a contact at Brenspeed ask for George Dockery or Brent White (The Owner).
Feel free to mention my name to them, Terry Honaker or simply tiger.
Sorry I don't have any contact at JDM but I do know they raced with the 5R55s also.

Good-Luck,
Terry

Last edited:

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
I have seen several post from Jim at JDM running a built 5r55 with a good converter with 690whp. Mid 9's at 3900lbs race weight for a long time. Lucky? Seems to be like most ANYTHING when you read all the forums about a specific mod...Some have fantastic luck and other say it will not work. Now I have no idea of his tq or what power adder he was using. I would think a centri blower would be slightly easier on the trans??

JDM has had successful runs with the 5R, but ask how many they have broken. If all you care about is a glory pass, by all means put what you want through it, but it wont last very long.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
JDM has had successful runs with the 5R, but ask how many they have broken. If all you care about is a glory pass, by all means put what you want through it, but it wont last very long.

I'm def not trying to suggest your wrong. Far from it. I have 0 experience running an auto in these cars. With that said, I have a hard time believing that in the 10 years these cars have been around NO one has had luck building a good trans. Seems unusual to me.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Coly,

Just a suggestion for you on the 5R55s transmissions.

Call Brenspeed or JDM they both have lots and lots of experience on that transmission.
They have both raced Mustangs with that tranny for years before they moved on to the 5.0 Coyote with the 6-speed trans.
Brenspeed converted my 08 Bullitt Mustang to the 5R55s TCI Super Street Fighter with the Circle-D converter back in late 2011.
(The Bullitt came with a 5-Speed Manual tranny)

Here are the links to that conversion.
It will give you some idea of what takes place.
Last major Up-Date are these Posts
Oct. 2011

I have had no issues at all with the conversion.
I don't have a garage queen ..........
It has 53,000 miles on it and has also been raced many times on drag strips over the years.
If you want a contact at Brenspeed ask for George Dockery or Brent White (The Owner).
Feel free to mention my name to them, Terry Honaker or simply tiger.
Sorry I don't have any contact at JDM but I do know they raced with the 5R55s also.

Good-Luck,
Terry

^This. Is this trans used in your low 10 pass? How many trips does it have on it you think? If it has 50k+ street miles with a fair amount of strip time at what I assume is somewhere around 600whp(?) it must not be all that bad.??

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:deadhorse: This subject has been covered so many times, you should be able to find everything you want to know just by doing a search.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^This. Is this trans used in your low 10 pass? How many trips does it have on it you think? If it has 50k+ street miles with a fair amount of strip time at what I assume is somewhere around 600whp(?) it must not be all that bad.??
Chris,

Yes, that pass and many-many more at that NMRA World Finals.
It has been raced at several NMRA World Finals in Bowling Green, KY.
Also at other NMRA races in different states.
Raced in Indiana, Ohio and Texas.
It is not just a drag-race ONLY Mustang for sure.
But it has been raced a heck of a lot since back in Oct. 2011 when the TCI SSF went in.

Here is what I think and also what I know from other guys I know that have ran and do run the TCI SSF transmission.

The one fellow I know that raced his for every NMRA event had his TCI SSF sent back once a year and gone back through.
His Mustang was driven some on the street but really was much more a drag-race Mustang.

Regarding driving with the TCI SSF on the street.
(I'm referring to the 550 plus H/P cars at rear wheels)
It will do just fine but there are some things the owner has to remember for it to live.
You cannot SLAM the throttle to the floor while cruising at say 60 MPH.
The trans just does not handle multiple-gear-downshifts under WOT.
It will do it but sooner or later it will break.
(Not an opinion it is a fact)
It works very well as far as taking off and letting it shift through the 1st 4-gears.
5th being O/D.
I lock out 5th gear on my TCI ratchet shifter when racing it.
It will not hold-up with constantly drag racing it either.
I'm referring to guys that go every weekend drag racing the TCI SSF will simply not take that sort of constant abuse.

I think this was the correct DYNO Chart for back when that 10:32 pass was made.
There was also a 10:35 pass made as well as like I said many others that race.

Below are pics of my set-up and the fastest times it ran with Saleen Supercharger and Supershaker option.

:deadhorse: This subject has been covered so many times, you should be able to find everything you want to know just by doing a search.
Earl,

AMEN ...

Terry

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Chris,

Yes, that pass and many-many more at that NMRA World Finals.
It has been raced at several NMRA World Finals in Bowling Green, KY.
Also at other NMRA races in different states.
Raced in Indiana, Ohio and Texas.
It is not just a drag-race ONLY Mustang for sure.
But it has been raced a heck of a lot since back in Oct. 2011 when the TCI SSF went in.

Here is what I think and also what I know from other guys I know that have ran and do run the TCI SSF transmission.

The one fellow I know that raced his for every NMRA event had his TCI SSF sent back once a year and gone back through.
His Mustang was driven some on the street but really was much more a drag-race Mustang.

Regarding driving with the TCI SSF on the street.
(I'm referring to the 550 plus H/P cars at rear wheels)
It will do just fine but there are some things the owner has to remember for it to live.
You cannot SLAM the throttle to the floor while cruising at say 60 MPH.
The trans just does not handle multiple-gear-downshifts under WOT.
It will do it but sooner or later it will break.
(Not an opinion it is a fact)
It works very well as far as taking off and letting it shift through the 1st 4-gears.
5th being O/D.
I lock out 5th gear on my TCI ratchet shifter when racing it.
It will not hold-up with constantly drag racing it either.
I'm referring to guys that go every weekend drag racing the TCI SSF will simply not take that sort of constant abuse.

I think this was the correct DYNO Chart for back when that 10:32 pass was made.
There was also a 10:35 pass made as well as like I said many others that race.

Below are pics of my set-up and the fastest times it ran with Saleen Supercharger and Supershaker option.

Earl,

AMEN ...

Terry

Thanks for your opinion Terry.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion Terry.

Coly,

Your welcome.
You know I have been doing this sort of thing since way back in the mid 60's.
So I think I should at least mention a few things to you as one guy to another on drag racing.
I read above in your post that money in your case is a concern.
You didn't say it exactly like this but if I am right money is a real concern.

So here is some advise from a fellow that has not always had a lot of money.

Don't even get into drag-racing unless you have the reserve funds when something breaks.
If you have the one Mustang and it is your only means of transportation to work etc.
Don't do it man !!!
Wait until things improve on your end with regards to money.

Hang in there man,
Terry

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I have cars that I daily drive then the mustang. I have a lot of stuff to worry about before the car is up and running with this power anyway. Hopefully I can get something worked out before.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. That's what I was looking for. We're on the same page!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have cars that I daily drive then the mustang. I have a lot of stuff to worry about before the car is up and running with this power anyway. Hopefully I can get something worked out before.

Some things just take more time than we like.
Good-Luck with getting everything going the way you wish.

Thanks Terry. That's what I was looking for. We're on the same page!

Cool, give me a shout any ole time. :hi:

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Some things just take more time than we like.
Good-Luck with getting everything going the way you wish.

Cool, give me a shout any ole time. :hi:

Thanks a lot! All should be done sometime this year. Which isn't saying much considering its January.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back