Adding Foglights to my 09 Convertible

20155h

Reaction score
I added Halo/fog lights to my 2009 Convertible Mustang. I got the Halos wired to the parking lights and they turn on when the parking lights are on. So that works.

I can get the fog lights working with the switch/button that came with the fog light wiring harness. The switch/button has three wires going to it. Red (power?), White (relay?) and Black (ground). So this works.

I replaced the stock (no fog light) switch with one that has the fog light option. You know, you pull on it to turn on your fog lights.

I think I have to do something with pin 3 and pin 6 in the gray connector going to the new light switch in the car.

The problem is I do not know what I need to do. Cut? Splice? What wire goes where?
My purchase did not come with instructions and the ones I found are incomplete and confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
You will need to tie the relay coil that energized the relay for the fogs that came with the kit into the switch at pin 6. The switch provides ground to turn the circuit on so you are "sinking" the circuit. One wire on the coil will be tied to 12vdc hot source, and the other side of that coil connected to pin 6 on the switch. Pin 6 provides ground to energize the relay coil when the switch is turned on. The wire color that you will be splicing into is is ORANGE/Light Green stripe on it. Observe connector C205 pin 6 going to the switch labeled OG/LG.

I highly recommend cutting the wire and tying in so that you isolate and do not back feed into the SJB unit and cause other issues. Also use a wire nut, heat shrink, or electrical tape and cover the end of the wire off so it does not short against anything. Check to see if there is a Fog Switch relay in the BEC as well. If there is remove it to further isolate the unused portion of this circuit. See the print page below. You could also remove Fuse F58 (15A) as it will not be used either.

FOG LIGHT CIRCUIT
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Fog Lamps.pdf

BEC FUSE BOX OVERVIEW
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Fuse and Relay Information.pdf

Another way to do this is below and would follow a more stock like process:

separate the the hot wires that feed the fog lamps from the provided relay and routing each one to connector 1035C pins B5 and E7 at the BEC under the hood. Obtain and Install the appropriate fog lamp relay (if it is not already in the BEC) plug the switch in and you are ready to go. This can be done as long as the total wattage of the fog lamps combined does not exceed 150 watts (75 watts each).

Last edited:

Huberoy123

Reaction score
Several years ago, I purchased fog lights and got a harness off of ebay. The harness included a relay, fog light wiring and a off,/on button. I installed the button in the cabin and everything worked fine. I avoided tampering with the existing wiring. I didn't want to screw anything up. Good luck with your project.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back