Adjustment knob broken on throttle body

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I purchased a new take off gt500 throttle body but got damaged during shipping. Seller has refunded my money immediately so its all good there.

I want to know if this is salvageable....

cc0cc6a7e128b1e76a81b9cdae3ec30b.jpg

Any suggestions on how to go about?

lito

forum member
Reaction score
The only issue would be to give the spring the correct tension or it will fail the key on checks.

SSStang

forum member
Reaction score
Should be a easy fix just gotta get a replace knob and extract the broken piece out.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I have the exact throttle body, and the exact same circumstances.
I thought it would come out easy too.

Try the plumbers extractors jewc75 recommends, my standard extractors just won't remove the plastic plug=FAIL

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I would find a bolt with a head that is just a hair bigger than the hole in the plastic and heat up the head until it's red hot, and stick it in the plastic, then use pliers to bring it out.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ouch, that is a non-serviced part. So far I've never seen anyone repair one, if it was mine I'd certainly try.

-Steve

BirdMan65

Reaction score
62mm BBK

I bought cheap a tb and screwed around with it and the stock one.
I installed wide open throttle blade positioners but the comp didn't like it and would 'wrench it', hooked up the SCT reset the code and drove it home. I did this several times first with 62 then the 55 figuring out the comp didn't like being told where absolute wide open (blade 90* to body surface) so I removed them.

I also messed with the adjustment screw on the BBK which is brass but Not the stock plastic one. On the BBK there is a small setscrew that hold's the adj. screw located under the actuator cover that you can back out and easily turn the adj. screw. I also tried different springs and reinstalled the stock one in the BBK adjusting the spring tension as I had removed the snap ring and lost it and the slug so I just tapped 1/4-28 or 5/16-24 and used a hex set screw that can adjust the tension, I also have a half-nut to tighten down and hold this setscrew.

I adjusted the big brass adj. screw on the BBK so that by depressing the plunger end I then adjusted the big screw for throttle blade closed opening that I wanted. The spring actually opens/keeps open the throttle blades and the actuator controls the total movement/throttle position via the comp.

I have driven it considerable miles since. I think I have lighter preload on the small one than it came with, not much though.

I just looked at my stock 55 tb and there is not a setscrew to there must be locktite used to retain in place. Maybe you could buy an adj screw from BBK (ya right) after getting it out. I think drilling very carefully and then using a tap clean out the threads and insert the BBK one!!!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back