Aerospace front brakes

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Recently I purchased Aerospace kit AC-266VR for my 14GT. I wanted to save weight, but wanted vented rotors since the car is regularly driven on the street.

Here are a few pics of what has been done so far. I have not cleaned up where the ears for the stock caliper mounts were cutoff on the knuckles nor powder coated, so they are ugly!

I ordered brake fittings and stainless lines to hook into the caliper, so hopefully they are the correct size! On Saturday, I will install them and hopefully report back with results.

Fittings and lines used.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-650205
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-642441
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-656052

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
do you have to fabricate your own mounts, or are those two plates the mounts?

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
do you have to fabricate your own mounts, or are those two plates the mounts?

The plates are the mounts that come with the kit. You have to cut the top factory brake mount off the knuckle and drill and tap a dust shield hole for the new mount. Ill get pictures of exactly how it was modified either today or tomorrow.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
The plates are the mounts that come with the kit. You have to cut the top factory brake mount off the knuckle and drill and tap a dust shield hole for the new mount. Ill get pictures of exactly how it was modified either today or tomorrow.

How much rotational weight did you save?

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure yet. Once I get the stock brakes off I will weigh everything.

Should have it done on Saturday.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Weighed the aerospace brakes. Everything brackets, bolts, rotors, loaded calipers, fittings braided lines weigh about 15lbs 11oz.per side.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I installed everything today and bedded in the pads. I did not do good enough of a job bleeding the calipers, despite that the car still stops well. On initial brake input it's a little mushy due to the air, but upon moderate to heavy pedal input it stops close to stock(not quite as well) but it should be a bit better once I properly bleed the brakes.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I used a hand pump vacuum. I should have bench bled the calipers like I did on the 8.5 car and wouldn't have had any issues.

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a daily driver? I'm running Baer 2-piece rotors up front and back. They save weight, but I wouldn't mind dropping more.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
As of now it is, but I'm easy on the brakes.

How do you drive and what are the plans for the car? These are for a street/strip car, so if you are hard on brakes or auto cross keep what you have.

I've been thinking of doing dual calipers in the back when I weld on the 9" ends, but the master cylinder will need replaced. I'm not sure if it would need replaced if only one caliper was used. The downside of using these calipers on the back is not having an e brake.

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
I thought about doing this to my car on the front to cut more weight out of it. how much weight does it cut out? was it worth it to u? as my car is a street car and will be on the track as well

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
About 20lbs of rotating weight and just about 36lbs total. Is it worth it.. eh idk. Depends on where you are in the build but im going full retard, so im looking everywhere to cut weight and still retain the "streetcar" title.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
About 20lbs of rotating weight and just about 36lbs total. Is it worth it.. eh idk. Depends on where you are in the build but im going full retard, so im looking everywhere to cut weight and still retain the "streetcar" title.

That is HUGE!! 20 lbs un-sprung rotational weight is great. 36lbs total is not bad but now I am interested..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back