Air Lift Install - Here we go slow but steady!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Lol....I decided to do the same test tonight with a single pump , 5 gallon tank.....over 12 minutes!!

Not sure if that's normal but now you know why I want 2 pumps,lol....I'll be adding another next week!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea 0-150 I can drive to other end of town before it cuts off
Gotta get me an isolator kit to cause my whole car vibrates when it kicks on

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol....I decided to do the same test tonight with a single pump , 5 gallon tank.....over 12 minutes!!

Not sure if that's normal but now you know why I want 2 pumps,lol....I'll be adding another next week!

Paul are you saying it takes 12 minutes to go from 145 to 175 in your 5 gallon tank, or 0 to 175 takes 12 minutes?

Yea 0-150 I can drive to other end of town before it cuts off
Gotta get me an isolator kit to cause my whole car vibrates when it kicks on

I did not measure 0 to the max 175, just my tank minimum 145 to maximum 175. I was not sitting in the car, but from what I could tell from the trunk area the isolator kit works well.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
i was going from 0-150, if i drop it and raise it i think it drops my pressure down to around 60 and seems like it takes forever to get back up to 150....i did have it set for 175max but then it just takes sooooo much longer, i even blew a fuse one time because the compressor was just on for so long so i dropped it down to 150 max.

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
i was going from 0-150, if i drop it and raise it i think it drops my pressure down to around 60 and seems like it takes forever to get back up to 150....i did have it set for 175max but then it just takes sooooo much longer, i even blew a fuse one time because the compressor was just on for so long so i dropped it down to 150 max.

With the extra compressor, both compressors won't have to run as long and shouldn't get to hot to blow a fuse. it only blew because of the heat the compressor generates. I know I don't have air ride , but i do have experience with small compressors from all my 25 plus years as an air brush artist, I traveled over four different states doing art show/festivals and larger fairs. Have had the larger air compressors to the small silent ones. the last one i purchased back in '97 was over $800.00 for a super quiet for to use in malls and indoor events.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Family had a birthday lunch for my son-in-law today, but I got out to the garage for a bit. Put the bumper cover is back on, signal and parking, light bulbs back in and the inner fender panels installed already for the front wheels to go back on.

Passenger side inner fender panels back in.

Driver side inner fender panels re-installed.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
congrats on your install! looks good...

Thanks, I was oh so close to putting the car back on the ground Sunday as it was the warmest and sunniest day we have had so far this Spring. Would have had my first look at the new parked stance. But with my hip, one of the more difficult things to do is jack the car up and position the jack stands. So I resisted the urge and will wait until the second compressor is in and I am finally finished under the car.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I lied earlier; compressor, isolator kit and harness I was expecting last Friday are still not in. Apparently in a large order to my supplier there are a few items on back order at Air Lift and this is holding up shipment. Supplier promised to look into splitting the shipment. In the mean time I started putting the interior back together. Found I had to notch the interior quarter trim slightly for clearance around the air line to the air bags. Not sure if others had to do this or not?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I didn't have to notch mine, it was close but I think because I mounted my noid up high the lines just run straight up the inside of that panel.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Picked up the second compressor and wiring harness today. The compressor isolator kit is on back order and could be a couple of weeks.

Put the car down on the ground for the first time since last fall. I like the new parked stance! Pics to follow.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
Ordered 2 new pumps myself! 1 for back up,lol!

There are other priorities first and debating what to do with a compressor in the garage. Should I use it? Buy a whole new kit? Run it in addition? Throw it back in my Jeep.

Moral: Maybe [when affordable for my budget] I should keep it as a spare and order an all new set-up.

Thank you for the idea.

AND, Very nice bagged Mustang you have there.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Air Lift Install - Here we go slow but steady! – we are done sort of!

Routed the V2 Controller wire from the trunk tire well to the centre console and finished putting the interior trim back in.

Cut the harness to an appropriate length for the trunk mounted battery. The second harness was finished in the same fashion as the original compressor harness. Removed portion of harness shown on top.

Mounted the relay for the second compressor harness.

Pulled the wires up from the trunk well floor for the original compressor harness and plugged in the second compressor “signal” wire.

The Isolator Kit for the second compressor is on back order so I mounted the compressor on foam as I did the air tank for the time being. The second compressor leader connection was prepared with Teflon tape and installed into the tank.

Cable tied the second compressor wiring harness to the original wiring harness and made the battery connections. Second negative cable added to the battery.

Second harness positive cable (the one with the open fuse compartment) was added to the battery distribution point.

Both compressors installed and ready to rerun Systems Calibration.

Systems calibration running.

Previously I had the battery box installed on top of the carpeting of course this meant I had to remove the battery and box to remove the carpeting. Obviously not a great idea when you need to get into the trunk wheel well. So with the carpeting out I cut a hole around the battery box. In this picture the carpeting is cut but I still need to trim the hard board shown in the picture for the carpeting to fit in next to the battery box correctly. I have searched high and low for my jig saw to no avail. So this little job and installing the back panel are going to wait for another day.

Left to do:
1. Trim the hard board on the trunk carpeting and install the back panel.
2. Finalizing alignment height, my normal ride height.
3. Install the isolator kit when available.
4. And of course some pictures of the new parked stance etc.

Last edited:

01mingreyvert

forum member
Reaction score
Does the isolator make a big difference? You should be able to tell with one compressor isolated and one hard mounted except for the foam.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does the isolator make a big difference? You should be able to tell with one compressor isolated and one hard mounted except for the foam.

I was in the driver's seat while running the calibration. I did not feel any vibration, but frankly I was not paying attention for it. With the engine off the compressors are pretty load albeit the carpet was not in the trunk covering the wheel well and the back set bottom is out. Next time I am working on the car I will try and remember to watch the compressors for vibration.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome Scott!

Thanks Paul, it is coming. Have to do my honey-do-stuff on the weekend and unfortunately we have a cold spell coming for early next week in the forecast, but after that I should finally get the car out of the garage to take some pictures.

This picture had me. So clean. So stock [ignoring the batter box]. Guess I am used to crazy bagged systems.

Looks awesome.

Jason, thanks! Figured out that my father-in-law borrowed my jig saw so I should be able to cut the hard board and finish the trunk. Never know the air components are there.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The new parked stance has already been noticed….my lovely young bride went into the garage today to get some plant fertilizer. When she came back she asked me a question: “Why is your car so low, are the tires flat?”

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back