All you 4R70W guys

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have my (core) 4R apart, at the house and I remembered reading that the pickup on the S197 reads off of a 12 point reluctor for the OSS (output speed sensor). I cannot remember if the 12 points are for the 6060, the 3650, the 5R55S or if they are all the same. My 4R70W ring gear has 6 holes in it for the OSS pickup and I know that I can change this in the tune. However, I plan to run up to the shop sometime today anyway, so I could also throw it on the rotary table, in the vbm and punch 6 more holes in it. I also believe I have read about someone doing this already. I don't have a factory manual for the 5R and I didn't find this anywhere in my notes. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It will be easier to change the tune. All the tuner needs to do is change the Pick Up value from 12 to 6 in the tune and the speedometer will be correct. We did this on my car and all is fine. You are correct the OSS ring on 4R is 6 and all other transmissions for the 3V specific have a 12 hole ring.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very well, I just figured that since it was laying on the table, I could machine it and at least that would work right off the bat. I figured I should call Baumann (after reading your post) and see what the TCS is looking for in terms of sensor points. After a brief converstation with Baumann, I have found this is not entirely true, unless you are running a manual VB and I am not. The Baumannator wants to read either 6 or 24 points (holes/voids). I don't know if these PCMs allow just any numerical value to be added, so if I can change the stock PCM to 6 and the Baumannator whats to read 6 anyway, then I will be good. It sure beats drilling 6-18 more holes.

Last edited:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
all you have to do is change the pick up number and the speedo will be correct. I am running a full manual VB so I didn't need the Baumann Computer.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but if I had a manual VB, I would probably just drill the 6 holes. I wanted the factory speedo to work right away but I guess I do have GPS speed on my Kenwood and I will have to drive around with the laptop anyway for the first day or so. The Baumann is getting ordered next week, so we will see how all this works out. Thanks for giving me some food for thought.

Does anyone have a length on the conversion driveshaft (bearing cap center to center) using a standard (Mach1) companion flange? I have seen measurements on some with pinion flange adapters and spacers. I don't have a problem with that method, if it allows me to use an off-the-shelf driveshaft. Otherwise, I will be making and balancing my own.

Last edited:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
try FB Performance, they may have the lengths you need. mine went in front of a Currie 9" so I only have those measurements

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FB can help you. They are having my driveshaft cut and rebalanced for my 4r70w swap

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dang Ron, you keep messing with your shaft like that and it might fall off. Haha, this is the second time your having this DS shortened and ballanced isn't it.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes sir. keeps getting shorter and lighter lol. Can always go shorter, cant go longer lol

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will just measure it when I get the transmission in and companion flange on. It won't take me long to measure it then cut, machine, weld and balance the other one. I just have a real issue with calling a performance shop and asking for information when I don't plan to buy anything from them. The way I see it, I'm doing this on my own, including building the transmission so someone is losing a $3-4K sale. I don't mind giving information away but some people do and this isn't my business, it's a hobby.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mike is a stand up guy and I am sure he will help you if he can. I talked with him many of times with question after question about how the trans would work on my car and he answered everyone. I did not buy from him either as I bought Forensicsteve's since he was swapping to a glide. Steve bought the 4STB-E a couple years ago and we had to send him measurements for the driveshaft since it was the first conversion he did with the 2005+ body with a 9".

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just feel like a cheap bastard asking for free information, then telling them how much I appreciate their time.

I believe the length I am looking for is 47-1/4 or so with a replacement companion. With an adapter and the factory pinion flange, I am fairly sure I can use an off the shelf SN-95 driveshaft that is 45-1/2". I may take the advice and give them a call next week. I still have to machine a few parts, assemble the transmission,and wire everything up, so i have a week or two.

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you going from 5r55 to 4r70w? if so that is the same thing i did and I found out the 5r55 reads 24 teeth and in late model 4r70w's they used a 24 tooth sun gear as well. When I built mine I ordered the sun gear for an 03+ 4r70w and the speedo works like a charm from day one. I'm getting tuned soon but that will be one less thing to worie about. here is the brake down on the 5r55:
http://ratstangrestoration.com/5r55w-complete.pdf

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 24 point reluctor is news to me, because I thought they were all 12 (3650/6060/5R55S). I didn't count the pickup areas on the last 5R55S I rebuilt, so I can't argue one way or the other. I am going from a 3650 to a 4R70W and the sun gear you speak of is actually the ring gear. I was thinking about rebuilding the 3650, but I said screw it and started building one of my (3) 4R70W cores. I have found that I don't like doing anything twice. If you are running a manual VB, then drilling the ring gear is fine. In my case, I am going to run a Baumann TCS and it can read the 6 hole reluctor; at that point, it would be easier to change the setting in the PCM. When this is all over, I will be one step ahead in the game and don't worry, I will share all I learn.

:beerdrink:

Last edited:

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... well that's interesting. I know the Baumann can read 6 & 24 point reluctors, but I thought the factory on was 12..? Really this is all mute since I'm going to make the change at the PCM, but it is interesting that you say that. How do you like the TCS?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back